Start selling boost tokens once a server gets to 70, or so?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by nodontcarekkthxbye, Sep 9, 2020.

1. nodontcarekkthxbye Augur

Would be great to be able to catch up on TLPs when levels start to get higher. Yes, I know they want to make money off of potions, but there are people who wont try to raise a character to that level because of the classes lack of solo ability, and also since soloing really gets terrible around 30, regardless of potion availability.

Make it so.

Preciate that.
  2. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

What exactly is a boost token to you?
  3. Captain Video Augur

There are boost tokens already. They go by the brand-name "PL", and can cost between 1 and 20 Kronos, depending on your specific needs. Or you can just join a guild.
  4. nodontcarekkthxbye Augur

I think most people would prefer a 50 dollar, or so boost token, then spending up to 250 dollars on a PL, but maybe thats just me. Joining a guild doesnt solve this issue, dont know where youre getting that from, but thanks, preciate that.
  5. Tweakfour17 Augur

If you join a guild and presumably can make friends you can then ask for help and they can PL you for less than $250. You can get max level in a few hours on Mangler with pots running, especially if you time it with an Xp bonus.
  6. HoodenShuklak Augur

Honestly heroic toons and mercs come far too late, having just lived this on selo.

If mercs and heroics got moved up a few expacs it would only be good for the player and the community.

Tlp after 70 needs love. There is some good eq there even an old chunk of coal like myself could enjoy.
    Fudly likes this.
  7. nodontcarekkthxbye Augur

Yeah, or make mercs available at like 10 for people to solo up with, that would be kickass.
  8. nodontcarekkthxbye Augur

So, you are saying people are charging 250 dollars for 3 hours of PLing?
  9. Captain Video Augur

Once you get to TSS, any class can solo to 75 by following the Hero's Journey questline. It may take a couple of weeks of playtime, depending on your schedule, but IMHO it is a really fun experience. It's a lot easier than it used to be since Defiant gear now drops out-of-era at that point. Before that, 70 can be done solo for most classes, but it's definitely more sweat and time to get there. I really really strongly recommend checking out the casual guild status if it's on Mangler.

The problem with Heroics is, a new set is a >lot< of work to develop. Figuring out what the starting gear will be, the starting AA, the spells, discs and etc, plus it has to be done separately for every class/race combo in the game. And then making sure it's all fair and balanced, so players don't complain that certain classes haven't gotten the same value for money. Then it all has to be coded. Devs spent months putting together the 85 Heroic set. Live players have been begging for a 100 or 105 Heroic set for ages now, and it isn't happening because there aren't the resources to do it.
    Bardy McFly and Yinla like this.
  10. nodontcarekkthxbye Augur

I appreciate your post, but TSS is 15 months away on Mangler, which is the server I want to play on.

We dont necessarily need any gear added, or AAs, can just be a straight level boost, couldnt be too hard to code.
  11. Tweakfour17 Augur

I was quoting you, I have no idea what PLers charge. Did you get quoted 250 for 3 hours? 250 to get to max level and are inferring that will take 3 hours based on me saying you can get to max level in a few hours?
  12. nodontcarekkthxbye Augur

No someone said it costs up to 20 krono for PL in this thread, and then you said you can get max level in 3 hours, so ya know?
  13. Captain Video Augur

You can't play the game as a level 65 character with level 1 gear, you won't survive. The whole idea is you follow a progression path and update your gear, your spells, your skills and eventually your AAs as you level. There are many different progression paths available in the older content, some of which are class-specific, but you still have to pick something. There is no magic shortcut around that.
  14. HoodenShuklak Augur

A heroic that unlocks at level 70 would be very easy if you basically just give them a set of pot gear or the ep gear. Itemization at this point is incredibly linear.

It would take resources sure. But it also is a passive income stream after that.
  15. KermittheFroglok Augur

No, he said “a few” not “several”, so 3+. Not sure I follow why someone else throwing out “$250” as a cost relates to Tweakfour17’s post. The cost is going to depend on the server, who is on, and the demand for Krono/PL at that time. Also it depends on if it’s being legit (you grouping with someone higher level) or the against the rules way of someone logging in and playing your account for you.

Three hours would be ambitious but it’s hard to quantify because there are so many variables like what type of exp bonus is going on, which pots you’re stacking with it, and obviously who you are PLing with. Some people don’t know what they’re doing when they offer to PL.

Given how many TLPs there are at different points with differing economies, etc, etc, etc, there’s no clear answer on how much or long it will take to get power leveled.

I’m in the camp of just shop for a guild that’ll help you get caught up. That’s essentially what people had to do in the “old days” when that content was launched on Live. You’ll need to find a guild to really get the most of the content anyway. If you can’t find a guild on the TLP, I’d think twice (not saying don’t join) about starting on that TLP.
    Captain Video and Tweakfour17 like this.
  16. KermittheFroglok Augur

My recommendation to join a guild aside... (Really think that’s the way to go)

The Devs could try to make a command like Test’s buff command that bumps a toon to either the level 25 test server load out template or the old level 55 Mayong server template. I think they can easily implement boosts to level 25 or 55 because there are already class load out templates for those levels.

55 seems like a reasonable catchup point on an older TLP. Maybe they could make it so you expend a heroic to use it on a TLP.

Even with a great development short cut like that there’s the dreaded financial analysts that would need to weigh the +/- of losing pot sales, so there’s that reason they wouldn’t do it either too.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  17. Kujoe Lorekeeper

The problem with mature TLP servers is not the straight leveling speed (which, when you get 70+ can be a chore), but rather the AA grind. You can get to 65 or 70 in a few hours of PL, or a few days to a few weeks of play time in regular solo or grouping. However, grinding out 700-800 aa (which is where most raiders are on Mangler) will take weeks of playtime. The current expansion (OoW) alone offers 5-700ish aa depending on class, and out of that likely 3-400 are worthwhile.

As the TLP gets mature, the ability to return to the server or level new characters, new boxes, new alts, or join as a new player becomes unattainable. Not only spending days/weeks getting to max level (which gets progressively harder as low level groups dry up), but spending weeks/months grinding AA. We are in OoW, and players are at 800-1000 AA. In the next few expansions, AA available per expansion are in the high hundreds to 1000's.

Quick fix - adjust AA auto grant . With the TLP time frame, 4 expansions back is just too far. With only 2-3 months to level before a new expansion is released, a new or returning character will never catch up to the AA requirements of raiders without some serious time commitment. 2 expansions back seems like a more reasonable burden for a new or returning character.

Providing merc's earlier could help the lower level experience grind but, i feel the game changes when merc's are added. So, a change like that is not just tweaking leveling speed, but modifying the play style of the group game. Maybe a more direct fix (without collateral damage) would be to provide a larger experience increase periodically as the TLP matures. We got one in.. GoD i believe, and there is another in i believe Sof. Perhaps experience increases should happen more often, and for a larger amount.

Or, we all come to the realization that darkpaw does not want TLP longevity, seeing as people who stay on an existing TLP or return to their old TLP will not spend money on bags, illusions, store items, etc. for each new TLP they join. In that case, i suppose we must support the underbelly of EQ and turn to the PL'ers (afk or otherwise) who charge krono/$.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  18. Tweakfour17 Augur

Thank you.
  19. Captain Video Augur

My other observation is, when you start offering shortcuts into the middle of the server's lifetime, you open the door to IMHO quite legitimate complaints from some of the established player base, who will argue "Wait a minute, I did all the work and the grind to get to where I am, why shouldn't everyone else?" And the corollary to that argument is, "There are guilds with open spots for newer players, it is a MMO after all." It is certainly more difficult to catch up if you come in this late, but far from impossible.

Changing the AA auto-grant cycle is a worthwhile consideration given the much shorter expansion windows; it will be a challenge to deal with even for veteran players once you get past SoD, since there are just so many freakin' AAs. I agree that mercs are a game-changer and go against the spirit of a server with many active guilds. They were introduced in the Live game when it reached a point where the catch-up time was simply too long without them. SoD feels like the right place for them on a TLP, which is when they are scheduled to unlock now.
  20. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Something like this?

Tweakfour17 likes this.