Request: Add Agent of Change for Riftseeker Sanctum

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by A player, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Dragnet Sleuth Elder

Is that where most of the paying customers are, though? I would think that a very large amount of people who pay for subscriptions (and Krono and station cash) are on the TLP servers. Maybe not more, but certainly not a minority. And the amount of cash generated by TLPs I believe is very significant, so much so that I firmly believe TLP's is one of the main things keeping EQ profitable and not shut down.
  2. Tweakfour17 Augur

I'd tend to agree that alot of the people buying krono/DBG cash/bags are on TLP, but Live crowd also has the expansion packs and some of those are upwards of $200. In either case I think anyone would have a tough time arguing that the bulk of the money is coming from servers in OoW era so putting money into an RSS AoC isn't likely to see a return on investment. It is what it is.
  3. Dragnet Sleuth Elder

That's true. In my defense, I was thinking in the first few months of TLPs being the portion where the bulk of the money was made (and hence why two new TLPs seem to be released every year now).
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Going back to "the EverQuest Show" Interview Fading held with Holly Longdale TLP/Live players are about 50/50, I don't think it matters too much who spends more money what matters is that both groups of players matter to Darkpaw and that they intend to serve both.

5. Captain Video Augur

Fact: Holly no longer works for DBG; what she may have said in the past about her own personal priorities is no longer relevant.

The 50/50 estimate doesn't consider that many of the players on the various TLPs are duplicates; one person pays one subscription to move from one TLP server to the next. Very very few players on Live servers are maintaining a set of toons on more than one server. We don't know what the exact revenue numbers are, they've never been shared.

Fact: The Aradune launch was an unmitigated disaster and cost the company a lot of lost TLP subscription revenue; there was no effect on Live subscription revenue.

It's not disputed that DPG wants to support both the TLP and Live communities. However, throughout the history of the TLP cycles, dev initiative has always been more focused on TLP enhancements only for a couple of months a year (this based on patch notes), when the newest servers have launched. They have always been focusing almost exclusively on the Live side during the second half of the year, when the new expansion is being readied.

Fact: The one thing that's different about this year's cycle is their in-house TLP guru (Prathun) has left the company, and no known replacement has been identified. I can't emphasize this point enough.
  6. HoodenShuklak Augur

Opinion: Pantheon is vaporware.
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I have no clue what point you are trying to make here but I don't think you understood the point I was making, which was that TLP servers are a significant part of the income EverQuest Generates, that's it.

What I was saying doesn't involve Holly's opinions just the Fact that the live/TLP split at that time was about 50/50 & that was prior to Aradune & while some players left due to the bad situation around Aradune's launch I think it brought in more players than it ultimately lost for a net gain.

Unless you are trying to devalue what the former head of the studio said at the time in some kind misguided revisionist historian kind of way and you wish to imply that the facts she said were just nothing more than her opinions which is really quite a pathetic mansplaining thing to do.
    Dragnet Sleuth likes this.
  8. Captain Video Augur

More facts: Holly was never the head of Daybreak Games studio. She never had anything to do with other studio IPs, e.g. DCUO, Planetside, FreeRealms, or EQN. When the studio was split and Darkpaw was officially launched, she was head of that for a matter of weeks before leaving to work for a direct competitor. So, describing her as "former head of studio" is a bit misleading from historical perspective. While she could be fairly described as having been "EQ Franchise Director" or simply "Producer", she didn't inherit that role until after Daybreak (well Smed really) laid off Dave Georgeson, aka Smokejumper, in 2015. It was Dave, not Holly, who designed the F2P business model that both EQ and EQ2 use today. The first EQ TLPs were launched under Dave's direction, not Holly's, meaning if it wasn't for Dave we probably wouldn't have any TLPs to begin with. Nor did Holly ever have any say in subscription pricing, All-Access policies or lifetime membership sales. All revenue data has been held close to the vest ever since Smed was in charge.

Go to the Veteran's forum and post in front of the Live community how you think TLP and Live are 50/50, and then watch yourself get flamed mercilessly.
  9. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

I am genuinely starting to wonder if he is just a troll. I don't really think he is, but he's a pretty good one if so.
    Bobbybick likes this.
  10. feigntrain Elder

For anyone to suggest that AoCs are for progression is non sense.
    1. On their page about TLPs they specifically talk about "instanced raiding" not "instanced progression"
    2. As others have pointed out, there are plenty of AoCs that have nothing to do with progression.
    3. Currently, the biggest road block to progression in SoL is Lucid Shards, there's no AoC for the grey, or scarlet desert, or fungal grove, etc. There is an AoC for Sanctus Seru, but check it out, all the shard droppers have been removed. So here's an instance were there is an AoC and progression is specifically excluded from it.
    4. The biggest road block to progression in PoP is medallions in Plane of Storms. There is an AoC, but once again, it's clear that the AoC exists for raiding not progression, because the only medallion droppers are the raid targets, and the other mobs that would help with progression wont spawn in the instance.
  11. Tweakfour17 Augur

You're saying alot of true things, but you are only half reading what others are writing.

Classic -> GoD = AoC are for raids, pretty much every raid is instanced regardless of progression or not, maybe even in spite of progression.

OoW -> Live = AoC are for progression raids only.

So..
    Phinny (non progression) has AoC
    Trak has AoC for the raid/progression, the rest of VP key is mostly un instanced since its group content
    Seru has the raid mobs up, but the progression mobs not since VT shards are group content not raid

Every (or pretty much?) raid mob that drops the orb of luclinite for VT progression is instanced since its not group content.

PoStorms has the raid mobs up, not the medallion mobs

OoW/DoN/DoDH have no AoC since all progression raids are instanced, there is still some OW stuff such as signets or the DSK access quest that are group content and don't require AoC/instancing.

PoR has AoC for Relic and Theater of Blood as those are required for progression to Deathknell.
    Dythan likes this.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I was going to write a long reply to correct all the stupidity & wrong things in your post like I usually do but you make a habit of talking crap so often I'm not going to bother.

You might want to pick a fight over details, and be completely wrong again, I've wasted enough of my time correcting you, welcome to ignore.
  13. Captain Video Augur

This thread illustrates as clearly as any I've seen how much entitlement trumps common sense here, pun not intended.

Facts tend to win out over hyperbole, BTW.
  14. feigntrain Elder

In that case, you're reply is meaningless. Someone asks for something to be changed and your rebuttal is that's not how it currently is. Great. Everyone knows that's not how it currently is. This thread is a request to have it changed.
  15. Tweakfour17 Augur

No the point was that the devs already said they aren't putting it in because its not for progression and that was all they were going to AoC
  16. feigntrain Elder

Q: Should we paint this fence blue?
    Your A: No. Because the fence is currently not blue.
  17. Tweakfour17 Augur

Ah the sweet sweet EQ forum metaphors..ok I'll give it a shot..

Q: Can we get this fence painted blue? All previous fences have been blue!
    A: We don't have the time to paint it or the money to hire someone, from now on only the front yard fence will be blue (progression) and only if it isn't already a different shade of blue (instanced already)
  18. Machen New Member

They most certainly have been played as full raids in era on the TLP. We raided them with full raids on Fippy as the top guild on the server during OoW, every time they were up. Likewise the guild I was with on Phinny did them whenever they were up and available with full raids.

While I am all for having a dev-positive stance, throwing out patently untrue arguments doesn't help the devs any.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  19. Machen New Member

You can also three group anguish by week 12 of OoW, so this is not a solid argument as to what should be considered raid content.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  20. Tweakfour17 Augur

Hahaha fair enough. Honestly can't remember what week it was, we did raid them also during the first couple weeks but after that it was just a couple groups who'd go do them on offnights for fun.