When is enough.... enough?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cicelee, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Vumad Cape Wearer

The big issue was that the TBL evolvers had nothing to do with the current expansion. Returning players had to grind in old content. The Hunter stuff included a grey con expansion which ACH didn't exist in when it was current.

The TOV earring is a lot of XP, but it works because it is current content. It creates XP tiers. Doing missions quickly gets people to 115 for low playtime players. Medium playtime players get AA. Very high playtime players XP is in the form of evolving items.

Yes, it is a lot of time. No, I wont be doing it. The TBL evolvers put a bad taste in my mouth for EQ because to get caught up on them I had to spend a lot of time in old content mostly by myself. That sucked, especially plane slayer. I didn't feel accomplished. I felt burnt out. I got through it on sheer stubbornness, and By the time I got my evolvers to rank 2, I was frustrated enough that I didn't continue leveling them (playing in general).

So, ToV ear might take a lot of XP, but a lot of that can be earning playing with other people in current content. Helping guildies is rewarding. Swarming plane of fire at 115 is not.
  2. Schadenfreude Augur

What does this even mean.
    How about single grouping the Great Divide raid or something? Use as many add-ons as you want.
  3. Mazame Augur

I am sorry to hear you didn't enjoy TBL. I did enjoy it but to each their own.

As for the ToV. I would ask you to reconsider. I understand 1 bad exp is what pushing you away but consider it was the first attempt at the new process so there was a lot they learned from it and improved on for ToV.

1st off Like you said the Xping. The Xp from ToV will not only leavel the ear but will level those old TBL items you spend time on. So you getting double the reward for your grind.

2nd Power sources are lock behind the ear quest. You don't need to finish it but i would recommend at least unlocking the Power sources. it so much nicer to craft them when you run out then having to go back and farm.

3 I found the quest line for the most part enjoyable. By skipping the ear your skipping 1/5 of the exp. If your online playing in Tov it doesn't hurt to have the quest in your log to progress it as your doing other things.

In the end it your choice but the ToV exp was much better then the TBL.
  4. Vumad Cape Wearer

I didn't dislike TBL. I just didn't like how much time I had to spend by myself. The ear, the people who have their tradeskills completed travel through what is the equivalent of the ToV epic with little more than XP, while those of us behind on a few things have a massive amount to catchup on.

I don't expect anything for free. I just gripe that a lot of content is locked behind time spent not grouping with people.

There is a better balance. For TBL, that would have been making the ACH required to evolve from Rk2->Rk3 or rk3->rk4, while in ToV that would have been making the item evolve with XP alone, but have a hidden augment tied to the tradeskill questline to reach it's current stat potential.
  5. Celephane Augur

This isn't true. That stuff has been evolving in ToV since Beta and was never changed.
  6. Nadisia Augur

I guess he was talking about the requirements needed to unlock the Rk2.

For ToV earring, all you need to do is ToV content : ToV Mercenary, Partisan, get all the ToFS keys, ToV scavenger, restless hunter, and so on, all in ToV zones.

For TBL? Champion of EoK+RoS for the ring (ok, this one was not that bad, and not too old), but for the other items .. TDS+ scavengers for shoulders o_O ... EoK+RoS hunters + «Planeslayer» for gloves (really, Planeslayer, kill a truckload of grey nameds in 60+ PoP zones? :confused:) , Explorer for boots (including all the LDoN sub maps, really super fun I guess, or not).

For the evolving part, you're right, it works in ToV zones.

But to unlock the Rk2, you still need to do obsolete content.

Ok, it's a matter of taste, and everyone's tastes are different, some people like it, some people don't, but for me, in my humble opinion, a progression unlocked by doing overaged content was wrong.
    Nothing fun, nothing challenging, it was just ... boring.
    Yinla, Flatchy and Vumad like this.
  7. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

The gloves were original Kunark hunters, not PoP. It was made PoP at the request of players, because PoP hunters is 10x easier.
  8. Vumad Cape Wearer

Does it really matter which >decade old content was involved?

As Nadisia said, I was refering the the ACH grind, not the XP grind.

And again, my only complaint was that the ACH were required to get to rank 2. Putting it at Rk3 or 4, which would have made it > group gear but < raid gear would have made it much more inclusive for casual play and returning players, improving accessibility but keeping the power balance towards those putting in the big work. Especially considering how many times Fight Fire had to be repeated.

Yes on all points.

I thought you had to have each tradeskill at 300+ to do the earring. Have I been mistaken on that?
  9. Flatchy Court Jester

Well I have a friend who is on his third level of the ear and he is not 300 by any means in all of them. 3 of them he is below 200.
  10. Ninelder Augur

On our server we ran a hunter raid 24/7 for months among all guilds and the guildless. Granted there were like 10 people doing 99pct of the work, with most people being slackers, but it got a lot done for a lot of people. If your server doesn't do this maybe you should start it up.

One thing to point out: You cannot do LDoN hunter in raid format. So if you are alone focus your efforts there: And kill three birds with one stone by doing Hunter, traveler, and the segment of Hero's Journey that requires you to do so many of each type of LDoN; all at the same time.
  11. Vumad Cape Wearer

I did host a hunter raid. I finished the ACH less the collects.
  12. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

You can. You just can't request an ldon adventure while in the raid.

Get ldon, then join raid. In fact, you could have 20 people doing ldon's in a single raid for named at once.

We did it for hunters.
  13. Ninelder Augur

You had 20 people getting instances; then when one of them got a named, he would join the raid and the other 19 would drop their instances so that they could join the raid? You realize what a logistic nightmare that is right? I can see one person farming LDoNs then forming a raid so that all people got credit for one specific named, but 20 of them? You sure about that?
  14. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

1) I said you could, not that we had 20 people

2) I said we had a raid for hunters for ldon, which we did

3) Yes, people camped ldons and when a named popped up in their instance they rejoined the raid

4) It is 100x easier than everyone doing it themselves
  15. Mazame Augur

You do not have to be 300+ but the fail rate is very bad if your not. getting to 300 these days is not hard.
  16. Flatchy Court Jester

It is if you are not rich lol , Damn pirates in the baz. No wonder people afk kill when someone wants 1500 plat per silk and I am talking old old silk. (go farm it yourself) Yeah not so fast , hell its easier using overseer to get silk or other materials.
  17. Mazame Augur

I disagree.

Tip #1 Go to www.magelo.com in the bar at the center of the screen you can search for the Item you need to farm. This will give you a list of what mobs drop it, the % rate they drop it and the zone they are in. For older content you can pull the whole zone and AE it down. you will farm what you need in a short amount of time. ( yes there are some RARE drops that this doesn't work for) But were not talking about 350. for 300 you can find common drops to farm to up your skill.

Tip #2 Go to the highest level zone that you can mass pull. I prefer open zone that are as flat as possible because trying to pull mobs over mountains is not very fun.

Check you loot filters and make sure you have every thing set to loot.

Make sure most of your bags are empty ( fyi everyone has vet rewards so you can pop a banker to empty you bags.

Mass pull the empty zone and AE down looting everything. once bags are full pop a vendor (vet reward) and sale everything to the vendor.

When I need PP I will do this for 1-2 hours. and I walk away with around 60K depending on the zone.

so now you can go to the /baz and buy the items you need to TS with.

using either tip you can get from 0 to 300 in a day. Having a friend that just returned to EQ and started a new toon. He has done this and gotten 4 of his TS to 300 this way. He doing as needed as he doing his ear.

O and once you hit 300 you can buy the TS books from the vendors to get to more skill ups most TS will hit 310-315 from the Vendor bought books.
  18. German Augur

What some people are overlooking with the "old content" grind of the TBL items (or any big quest worth doing), at least a majority of it still made your character stronger even if its debatable how much of a difference it makes.

Heroic AAs, AAs from all the collections, bags, jouneyman's run speed if you didn't have that maxed. If you had those to begin with you wouldn't have even gone back to worry about it and started the grind right away. On the flip side, I had to go back and do all of that for the TBL items, but had already done all the step requirements in ToV before I started the ear so I felt faster rewards than others who were stuck on a hunter requirement, a key drop, or an odd (or broken again) collection requirement.

I do agree with a previous poster or two, the Planeslayer requirement was out there in left field and if it were not for wanting to do the AP would have been even worse to me.
    LDON wasn't too much either with the demystified post from Goodurden, just wish I had finished all those missions instead of dropping them.

What made the last level of the ear grind less rewarding in my mind was the minimal upgrade you got for doing it (without factoring in the AoW drop that is). The evolves in TBL all felt like pretty good increases in statistics each level especially if they did 4 slots at a time.

I hope they continue to do these types of quests to give us something to do when everything else is done.

Hero's Journey - I got asked more than once why I did that this summer. It was fun seeing all of those old quest and revisiting some old raids, several illusions, seeing content I missed and even a few usable items. I'll finish up a few more LDoN missing and be done with it for the final rewards, and even got a few LDoN augs I wanted while doing it.

I also broke things up and and did a little Hero's Journey, a little ear, a little trades killing, helping others with their ear so it wasn't such a burn out.
  19. Flatchy Court Jester

60k? come on. I tip bigger than that and that amount will not buy squat. Just for the record im 300 or better in all of em. Been helping a bud get his done and jewelry making for instance. I bought him velium bars and blue diamonds I think it was half a million. He was alreayd at 259 skill I figured that would put him over the hump. NOPE that was 1000 attempts and could not get 41 skill ups.

I can see your farming tips are good and I appreciate that because again at over 1500 plat per exotic silk 60k is not going to go far.
    Hellowhatsyourname likes this.
  20. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

Then you have the... special people... in the bazaar selling JC materials at 1k a pop for ONE Taaf or whatever... farming takes forever to get the 100+ of each you need. It's nutso.