EQ Next!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Evertrek, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

From what I understand, game engine power is not limited to graphics. It's also the foundation for game physics, environment, and interface. For instance, Fortnite's Unreal Engine allows Epic developers to create a seamless map and functions that allow players to manipulate the environment (building).

In some ways, Richard Garriot has been proven wrong because many of today's blockbuster games with staying power are First Person Shooters or MMOFPS (i.e. Fortnite, Call of Duty, Overwatch, Destiny, Counterstrike, even Halo). I guess he was only informed by the game Doom when he made those comments.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  2. IblisTheMage Augur

Oh, look, another MMO based on EQ.
  3. Mediik Augur

Looks like they still have a long way to go.

IMHO the NEXT Everquest or whatever should be an MMO platform\toolset. Turn that loose to the people and let them crowdsource the next EQ or whatever MMO. This is the way MUDS were back in the day. You download the base MUD you can keep the world or customize it to your hearts desires. I don't know exactly how you would monotize it, but I'm sure there's a way.
  4. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Remember when they were years late to deliver a product then scrapped 2 classes in the past month after making their third new website? Remember when they tried to push merchandise on an unreleased game where T-Shirts and mugs were listed at $40+ until they received so much blowback they disabled the merch store? I remember.
    Duder likes this.
  5. Cydonia Elder

It’s grey boxed. Because it’s testing. Those aren’t the final gfx (it’s kinda given away by the chequed pattern on the floor). There are various examples of the graphics floating around, if you want to look, and it really does look quite stunning for an MMO.
  6. Chopin.Xegony Augur

Pantheon was announced back in 2014 and for the last six years so many people have been saying that it is 'right around the corner' or 'coming out soon'.

I at this point am seriously doubtful of pantheon ever being release.
    KermittheFroglok likes this.
  7. Venau Augur

Perhaps your issue is how you view money. The truth is if one really desires it he/she can and eventually will get as much as they want. And those same people eventually may evolve to getting it without much effort once their method is close to perfected.

I love this topic. The study of it demonstrated to me why those with a closed mind seem to stagnate. And why those people who society views as being odd are indeed odd. Because they think outside the box and do things most others fear to even attempt. The best person at anything is indeed odd. Because they refuse to be limited by the traditional thought process a majority of a society blindly embraces.

Sorry very off topic. But worth thought maybe?
  8. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Funny you should mention Doom, because that game turns out to have more staying power than you other examples! :) Mostly thanks to a mod-able open-source architecture/engine and user-friendly editors. There are new maps made for Doom(and doom2) almost daily... Now THAT is staying power!
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  9. Schadenfreude Augur

This is the Star Citizen of MMOs.
  10. Smokezz The Bane Crew

What? LOL
  11. Bobokin Augur

EQ Next looked like it was going to be a bad cartoon version of EQ.

Pantheon looks to be a lot like EQ2. AND they make gnomes look crappy.

It looks like Ashes of Creation has a better chance of success.
  12. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

#NailedIt

My thoughts exactly.

"I want money; therefore I get money"

lol
  13. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Well, you can always sell-out of your dignity/pride/health etc...I hear the price for "slightly used kidneys" is good this year... :rolleyes: Or you could produce "fetish-stuff" no-one else would embarrass themselves enough to make...only the imagination sets the limit....:p

J/K
  14. Angahran Augur

I wish people would quit trying to suck the life, players and money out of EQ into "the next great thing"!

If all the resources wasted by the various owners of EQ had actually been reinvested we could at least have replaced the poor 20 year old hamsters that are powering the servers.

Hasn't Pantheon been 'coming soon' for at least the last decade ?
  15. svann Augur

There have been like a hundred things that have taken players from EQ, but Pantheon is not one of them. And if your implication that it wont ever release is true then you should have no worries that Pantheon ever will take players.
  16. Venau Augur

Or

I want to know true freedom from lack of $ and to use excess $ to fund certain types of cancer research.

Therefore I pick something I love to do that the masses believe to be nearly impossible. Upon becoming proficient at this thing I love to do......I get money.

Of course if you don't even have the balls to fight for yourself and that which you believe in.......you'll spend your days mocking that which could set you free. The choice is yours. You DO have a choice.
  17. KermittheFroglok Augur

To back up. Hardly anyone here is passionate about, believes in, or is confident in Pantheon. The game’s development has been missed goal and milestone after milestone. At least DBG titles make it to a relatively playable early access phase after a couple years, sure Landmark & PS Arena got canceled but Landmark wasn’t $1,000 to try and PS Arena players got refunded.

Pantheon is WAY BEHIND SCHEDULE & MQUAID PASSED AWAY. Why would anyone seriously give a failing project that’s now lost its visionary $1,000. If you want to give money to a cause you believe in that’s fine and that’s your prerogative... but in Pantheon’s case you need to understand that most don’t share that sentiment anymore. As a project it’s a failure at this point by most objective measures and I mean objective (not subjective). If the title were in a true open beta by now I might say otherwise, but it has very little to show for years of development, fundraising, and hype.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Benito like this.
  18. svann Augur

Id never pay for early access but that has nothing at all to do with whether its worth looking forward too. Pretty much a strawman imo.
  19. Nennius Curmudgeon

Popcorn! Popcorn! Get your popcorn!

In this corner...
  20. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Yeah, Cartoon characters, using a pickaxe, building and breaking structures, bunny hopping while using ranged weapons.
    It could never work...
    [IMG]