Only 25%?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by CatsPaws, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Aegir Augur

I play on TLP, that's pretty much closing in on live now (EoK). I either bought the Collector's or Premium edition on Discount every year since I started on Phinigel (TBM).

It was a good deal and I think both me as a customer - and the company benefitted from it. I got some initial toys + extra's to look forward to as we now are actually hitting these latest expansions - and The company got some money from a customer that normally wouldn't spend cash on the latest expansions due to the fact, that I don't play live content, yet.

With only 25% off this year, they are not getting my money this time.

Not salty or angry, just moving along - But if this is the deal going forward, I will only buy an expansion from DBG until it's utterly neccesary for my progress in the game.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  2. KermittheFroglok Augur

I think it's always worked this way, this is how most companies' discounts work when they let you do upgrades like this. If you step back and think about their system, it's looking at what you've been flagged as purchasing, they're not going to store how much you paid on every account for every transaction, at least not in a way that can quickly be queried with that logic.

It's also fair in that what you're buying is discounted & what you're upgrading from is now discounted so the upgrade is being handled apples to apples.
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Cosmetics are a major part of gaming revenue.

The expectation of the 50% sale hurt sales of the regular-priced higher tiers throughout the year.

They've fallen completely into the moral hazard where people will refuse to buy until the predicted sale.
    Nennius likes this.
  4. KermittheFroglok Augur

That's actually a good point looking at past threads. In hindsight, I guess we shouldn't be shocked either. I'm surmising a little, but I suspect they need more expansion revenue to continue funding content creation, and they probably need a little more revenue in general to help address some of the performance issues we've seen this past year. I guess the question is who would you rather pay for that, the whales via less discounted premium expansions or everyone else through increases membership & krono prices.

I probably will cave & buy myself the F&F edition & two premiums, then give the expansion ticket to a friend that plans to upgrade collector's. It's still a little hard to pass up because of the F&F edition because it has the Gnomish Bundle & an extra heroic.
    Benito likes this.
  5. KermittheFroglok Augur

To be honest, the 25% markdown makes more sense to me because DBG is including a heroic in the collector's edition... If you marked the $90 collector's down by 50%, then you're basically getting too much (by comparison) for $45 after considering that the heroic boost is priced at $35. The expansion content and items are worth more than $10.

I'd rather they take out the heroic boosts & F&F option and put everything left on sale at 50%. Especially given that they handed us all another free heroic this year...
    Zamiam, Gyurika Godofwar and Benito like this.
  6. YellowBelly Augur

DarkPaw is a bunch of cheapskates
  7. Zamiam Augur

I could get behind this idea.. I don't need ANOTHER heroic .. take that out and the F&F edition like Kermit says and give us our 50% :p
  8. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Corrected that for you, as the kids say.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Nennius like this.
  9. Nennius Curmudgeon

Well put.
  10. Tappin Augur

Business men don’t allow their servers to crash every Friday and Saturday during patch week.
  11. FasterThenLy New Member

After pending between buying another year and keeping some alts up and plans how to make it, this is a big disappointment. Its like christmas is coming, you have planned all what you want to spend since beginning of the year for the next 6 months and somebody shots Santa at the chimney.

Darkpaw... this year you don't get my money. I feel that I get duped... 8 lousy bucks difference between an old expansion and the new one (with only a couple of months inbetween) is not worth the hazzle paying twice...

Paying 50% and after that perhaps another expansion to catch up some alts would have been ok but paying twice in a couple of months nearly the full price is too much.

And btw.. who the hell needs Heroes at 85 or these collector editions? I never spend a dime on it. You can play them up in no time yourself....
  12. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

It's always been like that, the discount is 25% off the normal upgrade price. Basic Expansion is 35, the collectors is 90. so the Upgrade price is 55 which you now get 25% off of.
  13. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

You also get another 10% off at checkout when you're an all access account.

I have never upgraded an expansion before, but going from the 90 to 140 dollar one or whatever only cost $33 so I did it for the illusion this year.
  14. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Did you hear that?

The sound of sweet victory ... and whining.
  15. Nexxo New Member

I'm also going to pass up on collectors for my 2 main accounts this year. The price difference has gotten higher and higher every year with overall content shrinking. Heroic toons are useless unless you're returning to the game. Prices have seen a severe inflation over years and now traditional yearly 50% being changed to cheap 25%, then you'll get nothing more than my subs.
  16. KermittheFroglok Augur

In your case, if you just care about the content then you shouldn't be buying 50% off annually at the end of an expansions run. It would generally benefit you to pre-order every other year and get the 2 for 1 on content. You can get the ToV content and level cap increase you can just wait until October 21st when the pre-orders for the next expansion start.

So for the people that just want the content, there's nothing to complain about, the 25% off sale really isn't a big deal and you've been going about buying the expansions less optimally. Alternating every other year is better because every other year you get to play the newest expansion when it comes out, opposed to constantly buying it 50% (or now 25%) and missing the peak of the expansion launch.

I think this is in part why the 50% off promotion started, & they also offered the other versions at 50% off to keep the promo simple. As explained earlier some things like the heroics (which seems like most people don't care for...) are making it impractical to continue offering the 50% off. I wonder if there's a financial analyst & product/brand manager at DBG we can bother about this before they announce the next expansion?
  17. Tappin Augur

There’s certainly a lot to complain about. Many use it to upgrade accounts or get the current expansion for their alts. For those who cannot afford the new content at full price this was a great option. Well, 2020’s theme of killing off alts continues.
    FasterThenLy likes this.
  18. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I figured it out. Was going to post this in the bug forum but I don't think there is much of a sense of humor in this game anymore. So take this with a smile:

They screwed up the announcements and the 25% discount is really supposed to be for the experience boost and the 50% that is now on the exp should be on the expansion discount. :confused:
  19. KermittheFroglok Augur

But mathematically there's not much reason to complain if you're really just concerned about the content. The 25% only really impacts those wanting the goodies.

Option A: Expansion A $17.5 (access ~10 months late) + Expansion B $17.5 (access ~10 months late) = $35 spent. Note that you're always ~10 months behind getting the new expansion.

Option B: Expansion A $0 (access ~11 months late) + Expansion B $35 (early access) = $35 spent Note that you're only behind every other year.

Just put the $17.5 you'd spend in Sep./Oct. aside until Nov., problem solved. Again, if you've been doing Option A just for content then you haven't been optimally utilizing the promotions... (Besides the better, Option B is all you have now anyway!)

Again, that is from the perspective of someone that just cares about the standard edition & content specifically (so let's ignore the year's where the standard edition might have gotten a key ring...)
  20. Smokezz The Bane Crew

And you do it SO well.