Wizards in OoW and beyond

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Brixog, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Brixog New Member

This is my first time playing a wizard on a TLP. Mangler just hit Omens of War and I've noticed a massive drop in DPS compared to previous expansions. The mobs are all super resisty and most of the new spells are draughts or lures, so it's like they are intentionally steering you towards lower damage + poor ratio spells.

Is this drop off normal? Is it something that gets better over time? How long will it suck?
  2. Sturmx Lorekeeper

I "think" its TSS when you start getting your instant nukes and rising.
  3. Healiez Augur

Omens is a little rough for the reasons you said.

Starting around TSS is when wizards really start popping off. The rotation is somewhat ineteresting, you have more tools, gift of mana is amazing, Then spires and twincast get added.

In TSS and beyond on my tlp wizard I would constantly top meters.
  4. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

The 70 stretch is VERY melee-quest
  5. Healiez Augur

this is 100% accurate, DoDh makes it a little better, actually gives you something to spend your GoM procs on. The expansion that makes wizards really shine is SoD. Twincast+spire+CD+SC= double crit threatless nukes for 18 seconds.
  6. Brixog New Member

So essentially it will be roughly 36 weeks before wizards are viable again?

OoW = 12 weeks
    DoN = 8 weeks
    DoDH = 8 weeks
    PoR = 8 weeks
  7. Lacka Journeyman

in the world of TLP getting to SoD is basically like walking to the moon.
  8. r32jl32 New Member

My opinion on what you should expect.
    70 = below most DPS classes
    75 = middle of the DPS pack
    80 to 95 = 3rd behind Necro (DoT revamp) and Mage (Shock of Many)
    100-105 = 2nd to Necro

In the level 70 expansions, your fire damage can work but you would need Malo, Harmony of Sound, and Chant of Flame on a boss to land. Good luck getting a bard to Chant of Flame though.
  9. Brixog New Member

Cool, I appreciate the information. I have what I need to make a decision.
  10. Brixog New Member

I'd also like to give a shout out to the devs for having such fair and balanced DPS classes. Good stuff.
  11. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Also your epic is F tier, just wanted to kick a little more sand in the face.
    Roxas MM likes this.
  12. Thewiz Augur

So should the dps be changed to mages now to save time and pain? Asking for a friend on Rizlona.
  13. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Nah Rizlona wizards still have a good 9-12 months where they are pretty good, and odds are they will have quit before the 70 stretch anyway.
    Tweakfour17 and Sturmx like this.
  14. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

70 Stretch is bad for caster. Not nearly as bad as people who play them though.
    Here's some tips on doing things literally zero casters do that will significantly increase your DPS.
    1. Don't stack Heroic int/wis or mana this is a trap. HDex is better
    2. Proc weapons are really OP starting in GoD. Put LDoN proc augs in them. DO NOT WEAR A HASTE ITEM OR GET A HASTE BUFF. Higher delay= better.
    https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=18831
    https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=12436
    +Any of the time lapse weapons.
    3. Use your Tacvi clickie. It's more then a "mana free nuke" like most casters think. Clickies ignore the 1.5 second CD on spells. So it's effectively a 3k nuke on a .5 cast time.

Trick question correct answer is Monks.
  15. Tweakfour17 Augur

1. Easier said than done sadly, HDex is not that easy to gear for as a silky
    2. Why no haste?
    3. Agreed
  16. Dresden Journeyman

Yeah lemme explain how I need all the hdex gear to all our rogues and monks. I'll be real popular
  17. HoodenShuklak Augur

A big, huge, fundamental change in eq happens starting around now in that there are so many more synergies to consider. The game and the classes get so many new things and that essentially means you become far, far more dependent on other classes to "be your best". In the past a wizard basically checks for occlusion, malo, and maybe a handful or less of items before they're good to go. But that changes a lot.

Basically, if you want to be the best wizard you need to work with your teammates more. This is doubly hard because melee groups tend to run the show and get all the attention. So, the onus is on you. Take it for granted that most people on your raid, including the raid leads, know very little about min maxing wizards. He'll, most people never even get this far in eq!
  18. noseminer New Member

wizards seem misbalanced in oow. In pop they get 2 rains on a different timer and they do 1106 damage a wave (and are still outclassed by melee due to aggro mechanics). In oow they only do 62 additional damage (1168) and they are on the same timer! Mages get a better rain that wizards doing 1237 which is very weird.
  19. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

All your melee should already be softcapped. Most of the heroic dex you would use is either BiS regardless or stuff melee don't want/can't use. You can get two +3 augs from group content that can be ran ever 2 hours. Quarm shoulders have 4 aren't melee usable and plenty of other stuff like Tunat neck/waist.
  20. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Because EQ is proc per min slower weapons have a higher proc chance per attack.
    Example a 30 delay weapon will attack 20 times in a min at 2PPM that weapon will proc 10% of the time. With 100% haste that weapon will attack 40 times a min but remain 2PPM resulting in a 5% chance to proc. Since casters aren't constantly attacking but rather weaving in a single auto between spell casts you'll proc much more often without haste then with it.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.