Spawn times change?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Zerking, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Zerking New Member

Last night on Rizlona, warlord room in KC spawn time was 21 minutes. Right now it is 38 minutes. Was something done?
  2. TheGoblin Elder

Praethun posted at some point recently spawn timers are tied to the people in the zone. More people = longer spawn timers.
  3. bardybard Augur

What? Where did he post this? This has not been a thing in Classic/Kunark ever before
  4. SoandsoForumUser Augur

I mean, go find it yourself? He said they could spawn as much as 10% faster than the base value and quite a bit slower if the zone is really packed.
  5. Zerking New Member

Ohh, so the a-hole sitting at the zonein with his 40 boxes is only there to slow down spawns. Yeah, that needs to go away. 66 in zone right now. That explains it.
  6. Accipiter Old Timer

He did post exactly that. I remember it because it was a head shaker for me. Since then, I always look at the number in the zone when I reference my spawn timer.

Having said all that, there's no way - in my opinion - that the number of people in the zone could make it vary by 17 minutes. I've seen maybe a 5-6 minute variation. Maybe if there were an open world Venril Sathir raid going on...
  7. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

8. Zerking New Member

The spawn time is almost doubled, I am timing every spawn. It is a box guild with 40-50 toons just sitting afk at the zonein. They need to fix this nonsense.
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

I guess it's possible that 40 or 50 could push the spawn by 17 minutes. Seems like a lot, though.

Edit: Ah, I see you said there were 66 in zone. Missed that earlier.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

The way that Prathun worded that makes it sound like the data has a set fixed spawn rate but how busy or light the zone is impacts the spawn rates as in if the processing in the zone gets high it actually slows down the queue to spawn mobs due to a heavy processing making everything take longer to get done.

Its not EQ coded for being a tight git, it's due to a performance/server processing issue.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  11. Tweakfour17 Augur

Bingo
  12. Captain Video Augur

Picks have limited server memory available. The respawn queue can get throttled as result. Prathun did his best to explain in more technical detail in the above-cited thread. The alternative to throttling the respawn queue is to cause server crashes. Which would you prefer?

Petition the AFK army. That's the nonsense part.
  13. Accipiter Old Timer

You sure read a lot into things. He said nothing about an intentional throttling of the respawn in order to preserve server stability. Nothing.

FWIW, I took Prathun's comments to mean that their crappy code starts to bog down when there's too much going on in the zone. /shrug

They clearly are not tying tick counts to the graphics card clock as most modern engines do.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  14. Captain Video Augur

EQ's client-server architecture was designed to allow the client to run a toaster, and to allow network comm at 28.8K baud. The server side could care less what GPU the client is running. EQ2 was a major revision of the architecture, and DCUO/Planetside 2/Free Realms/Landmark were/are all using a completely different cross-platform engine built by Sony. EQ1 server tech is 20+ years old.