Not A Bug Death touch as an anti-kite mechanic

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Lianeb, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Cloud the Third Augur

We know it isn't a code issue because we had no deaths from this on our server out of clearing the event 3 times. So sure it may be a server lag issue or something but it works perfectly fine on other servers so it is unlikely a game bug unless your raid is doing something no other raid is doing.

Maybe you should list your class of people and spells they are casting or other abilities they are using. Maybe you have a ton of pet classes and it is making extra lag or something.

54 people in our raid and has not happened in 3 kills for us, so try to think of what you may be doing that a normal raid that is having no issues isn't doing.
  2. svann Augur

Oh ok, like the rubber banding lag on queen in eok. Yea I could see that happening, even if I havent on this event. They really shouldnt design events that their servers cant keep up with.
  3. Morigaine Elder

I find it surprising that even after a video was posted of how the pull was executed you posted the last post. It’s very obvious that the mob is not just tagged and abandoned. Odi literally stands there watching and waiting for it from a relatively close distance. What you indicate about lag potentially exacerbating the issue is probably correct but the fundamental root cause is a flawed mechanic design.

Cloud - you came to the thread with a preconceived misconception and refuse to admit you were wrong. The fact that your guild has YET to experience this issue is irrelevant. The fact that participants from multiple guilds have experienced this is enough to warrant developer investigation.

It really is that simple.

[Edit: feedback directed to Cloud not Sv]
    Jondalar, Xeladom, Allayna and 2 others like this.
  4. Lianeb Augur

So now that we have your approval of what is a bug and what is not. Can we discuss how to fix it.

I don't care about the anti-kite mechanic (my guild doesn't normally do that stuff) What i do care about is Zone lag throwing mobs into anti-kite mode because they take 40s to get to the raid verse 30s before they start DTing people, and the cause IS zone lag.

DTs shouldn't be used as an Anti-Kite mechanic if the zone is going to lag out. Make it root / snare / whatever but a DT is unfair.

Edit: clarified for the slower folks.
    DT = Distance based DD that increases to a value higher than known EQ HPs when you move to far away. That distance is caused by zone lag and mobs warping away from said person.
    Xeladom, Allayna and svann like this.
  5. Duder Augur

Cloud isn't worth ever replying to. No matter the question or its phrasing it is just bait to pull you into his antics. But when he has a complaint he wants the world to agree and support him or his ideas and everyone who doesn't is wrong or stupid in his mind.

kroag and Morigaine like this.
  6. Cloud the Third Augur

You just don't like the idea that it likely isn't any bug =/ and just bad server performance which always can be due to something that isn't a bug.
  7. Insaneox Augur

Easy fix for this bug caused by lag is to have the golems spawn on top of the raid vs having them rubber band. This was also an issue on the first event with Brethun Brewbeard not making it to the spots and raining on the raids. The fix was to have her spawn right on the spot vs having to move against game lag.
    Xeladom, svann and -----Cinexa----- like this.
  8. svann Augur

Bug doesnt just mean coding error. It means the game isnt working as intended.

Thats kind of like the people that try to claim that graphics lag isnt lag because they think lag is narrowly defined as internet latency. They are 100% wrong.
  9. Cloud the Third Augur

Bug is always related to a code issue (you do know hardware doesn't do anything without code right?). It doesn't necessarily mean it has anything to do with code of the software you are trying to run but it still is code related. It could be your graphics card isn't processing code like you expect. It could mean code from some other randomly software is causing problems.

If code isn't running there can't be a bug because nothing needs to happen.

Never heard anyone say lag was related to only internet... maybe I am just to old and have had plenty of things lag before we even had internet.
  10. Allayna Augur

It is SERVER SIDE LAG.

[46961] Living Ice Shard
    Target: Single
    Range: 600'
    Range Based Mod: 100% at 27' to 500% at 50'
    Resist: Poison -900, Max Resist Chance: 5%
    Reflectable: No
    Focusable: Yes
    Casting: 0s
    21: Decrease Current HP by 266000
    Text: You are struck by a shard of ice.
    Inflicts #21 damage, which increases in severity the further the target is from the caster.

To illustrate how fast it runs through people from social aggro/heal aggro:
    02/03/20 05:17:09 PMa velium sentry hit Madcow for 651420 points of poison damage by Living Ice Shard.
    02/03/20 05:17:10 PMa velium sentry hit you for 725400 points of poison damage by Living Ice Shard.
    02/03/20 05:17:11 PMa velium sentry hit Manyour for 715396 points of poison damage by Living Ice Shard.
    02/03/20 05:17:12 PMa velium sentry hit Kensiy for 521453 points of poison damage by Living Ice Shard.
    02/03/20 05:17:13 PMa velium sentry hit Lenn for 476463 points of poison damage by Living Ice Shard.
    02/03/20 05:17:14 PMa velium sentry hit Ronlador for 598456 points of poison damage by Living Ice Shard.
    02/03/20 05:17:18 PMa velium sentry hit Kissia for 717111 points of poison damage by Living Ice Shard.
    02/03/20 05:17:19 PMa velium sentry hit Ofearl for 651286 points of poison damage by Living Ice Shard.
    02/03/20 05:17:21 PMa velium sentry hit Lenn for 654173 points of poison damage by Living Ice Shard.
    02/03/20 05:17:23 PMa velium sentry hit Funkytank for 598346 points of poison damage by Living Ice Shard.
    02/03/20 05:17:23 PMa velium sentry hit Cadira for 544886 points of poison damage by Living Ice Shard.
    02/03/20 05:17:24 PMa velium sentry hit Lukke for 481594 points of poison damage by Living Ice Shard.
    02/03/20 05:17:26 PMa velium sentry hit Yvet for 444936 points of poison damage by Living Ice Shard.
    02/03/20 05:17:27 PMa velium sentry hit Elkar for 724100 points of poison damage by Living Ice Shard.
    02/03/20 05:17:28 PMa velium sentry hit Murdox for 346529 points of poison damage by Living Ice Shard.
    02/03/20 05:17:34 PMa velium sentry hit Vyne for 490008 points of poison damage by Living Ice Shard.
    02/03/20 05:17:37 PMa velium sentry hit Harelor for 638710 points of poison damage by Living Ice Shard.
    02/03/20 05:17:39 PMa velium sentry hit Sithsonn for 814556 points of poison damage by Living Ice Shard.
    02/03/20 05:17:39 PMa velium sentry hit Murdox for 537239 points of poison damage by Living Ice Shard.
    02/03/20 05:17:41 PMa velium sentry hit Madcow for 824100 points of poison damage by Living Ice Shard.
    02/03/20 05:17:42 PMa velium sentry hit Pluralist for 635278 points of poison damage by Living Ice Shard.
    02/03/20 05:17:51 PMa velium sentry hit you for 726390 points of poison damage by Living Ice Shard.
    02/03/20 05:17:53 PMa velium sentry hit Zigie for 824100 points of poison damage by Living Ice Shard.
    02/03/20 05:17:56 PMa velium sentry hit Vyne for 642954 points of poison damage by Living Ice Shard.
    02/03/20 05:17:58 PMa velium sentry hit Tuona for 582968 points of poison damage by Living Ice Shard.
    02/03/20 05:17:59 PMa velium sentry hit Remien for 704579 points of poison damage by Living Ice Shard.

Sure, 26 DTs in 50s is appropriate and working as intended and has nothing to due with the lag/leash...

From this cycle:
    02/10/20 06:24:49 PMa velium sentry hit you for 814850 points of poison damage by Living Ice Shard.
    02/10/20 06:38:43 PMa velium sentry hit you for 748057 points of poison damage by Living Ice Shard.
    02/10/20 06:40:55 PMa velium sentry hit you for 399840 points of poison damage by Living Ice Shard.

Fix the lag or remove the mechanic before T2 launches, sincerely the EQ raiding community that has a clue.
    Tour, Funky, Cadira and 5 others like this.
  11. Lianeb Augur

Fixed that for you
    -----Cinexa----- and Duder like this.
  12. Vumad Cape Wearer

Cloud, please stop. Bug, lag or otherwise, your coding background is causing you to argue semantics. You are probably right that this is a server lag issue rather than a coding bug. I know you are (rightfully) proud of your code, so I get where you are coming from, but debating the difference here is not positively reflecting on us.

Whether a bug is defined as a coding error or an combination of factors is not really that important to this discussion.

To summarize what I have read so far...

- The mobs in the zone death touch people too far away from them. This is an intended mechanic.
    - This issue is reproducible on certain servers.
    - It is unclear if this issue is specifically server lag or mob pathing, but mobs not being where they should be seems to be the issue.

Possible solutions...
    Alter the pull to accommodate for server lag / pathing issues until a permanent correction is made.
    Extend the time check between death touches to accomidate for server lag.
    Alter the anti-kite mechanism to a root, stun, etc
    Reduce the DT by about 50% to 300k so most raiders can survive a single hit, and if that is not sufficient, add a stun component so after the 300k hit if you have aggro you die to melee.

Just my outside perspective.

Also, side bar on this. I think people too far away from the event get death touched even if they are not on aggro, so this may not actually be related to anti-kite but some other mechanic. I am pretty sure we had someone back at the Griklor event get DT'ed not even on aggro but I'm not sure exactly what occurred. It's strange with as long as summon has been used they'd DT people instead of just summoning.
  13. Cloud the Third Augur

I think it is funny Vumad that someone is b$tching about issues with lag that is causing deaths when they are moving servers today so wait until the patch is done and it is on the new servers and see if that fixes the problem before you start b$tching about stuff.

Just think of it this way you are saying the car isn't working right but you are getting a new car today... so why say a car isn't working when you are going to be using a new car tomorrow???
  14. German Augur

This wasn't as bad last night as it was Sunday on Xegony, probably less people were raiding on the server.
  15. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

Dude, simmer down. I'm not sure why you are fighting this so much.

To the OP... we experience this exact same thing on this raid. The lag from pets + toons + dps + whatever seems to borderline break the event, which in turn causes these anti-kite mechanics to nuke the tanks who are trying to pull the adds into the raid. As the OP mentioned, please look into changing how this mechanic functions (or remove it, frankly).

Thanks much!
    Duder likes this.
  16. Raccoo Augur

This lag-induced anti-kite DT has occured to SR on Cazic as well.
  17. Maedhros High King

Has happened to ROTE on only one of our 6 wins on this, and I did not see it on the 2 Cazic Joint raids I was at. Only happened when we were in the middle of a heavy burn which sends the lag through the roof and the sentries start rubber banding. We adjusted strat and sent the tanks out to engage the mobs then walk them back to the center slowly. Haven't had an issue with it since.
  18. Ngreth Thergn Developer

As the OP stated this post, this is not a bug but feedback

In servant of the sleeper, I've changed the aggro range so there is no longer any need to pull. Wait until they get to the raid.

AND outside of that, I'm okay with death-touch as an anti-kite mechanic.

I have no comment on ToFS 1
  19. Duder Augur

I have seen heal aggro cause DTs on sleeper, was this because they were damaged first? Or?
  20. Ngreth Thergn Developer

probably. Their "help" radius (where they get mad at you damaging a friend of theirs or healing someone damaging a friend of theirs) is super tiny, about a third of their melee range, so when "not agro" this is not likely triggered. By the time helps agro is triggered, they are probably triggered by proximity agro (which is the same as their melee distance)
    It means that the healer out agroed the person on it previously hated the most, and the person it was closer to that "should" be it's target didn't gain more hate over the next 8 seconds. OR that person was trying to kite, and in the intervening time, when the damage hit was triggered, the healer gained more hate and was far enough away to take enough extra damage to die. (That damage is distance from mob based, further away, more damage)