Everything is Down!!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Zamiam, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Nah, it was the unfairness of people bashing Darkpaw for something way beyond their control. Right is right. Having facts is important when seeking solutions.

Good on ya for assuming it was all bout you though. /golfclap
    ;)
    Duder likes this.
  2. Kelthorg Lorekeeper

Anger... the other white meat.
  3. Zamiam Augur

you guys can /golfclap all you want and defend DPG .. when these issues persist and we all know they will i'll cya all in another thread titled DPG did it again ..

have fun till then .. and I'm done with this discussion ..
  4. Febb Augur

This is a really bad analogy and I can tell you don't have a clue what you are talking about.
    Duder likes this.
  5. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

So.. you don't pay, and if they don't do as you wish, you will continue not paying just to spite them.

K, got it!

I'm also having trouble wrapping my head around:

will I get over it you bet.. Why because I dont pay to play anymore

So why all b u t t h u rt over a Clouflare outage if you're not even out of pocket?

/super mutant voice "Rage.. RAAAGE!!!"

/wanders off looking for the milk of human kindness.

and maybe some guide cookies.
  6. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

The sense of entitlement is strong with in this thread.
    Duder likes this.
  7. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Centurylink is my provider, had zero issues all morning long, playing Fortnite. Got my sprout Groot no problem, haven't seen anyone wearing the Silver Surfer skin yet, but with zero lag issues I'm gonna go out on a limb and say...
    Centurylink is not the single point failure here.
  8. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Someone needs to pull out the good old "whambulance" meme....
  9. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

They helped lol. This is from their twitter.

[IMG]
    CenturyLink
    @CenturyLink
    ·
    36m
    We are able to confirm that all services impacted by today’s IP outage have been restored. We understand how important these services are to our customers, and we sincerely apologize for the impact this outage caused.
  10. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Centurylink is my provider.

I have been playing Fortnite since 5:30am this morning, interspersed with getting on the internet. Not a single issue here.

Clearly MY service was not one of the "services impacted" today. When they say "ALL SERVICES IMPACTED" they mean ANY service that MAY have been impacted. They aren't saying 'ALL THE SERVICES WE PROVIDE WERE IMPACTED'.

Did you feel the need to post what they said because you doubt what I said?
  11. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

As I said, "they helped" with an LOL after it - as in yes, it was a few companies that contributed to the downtime today and CL was one of them and I was AGREEING with you that they had a part in it. o_O I posted their twitter for the non believers out there that persist in thinking it was all DPG fault.

Century Link is also MY provider. I could not get to any news sites or any thing else on the internet.
    So Clearly MY service was impacted. I wish I could get cable but it doesn't run way out where I am.

It appears this outage has adversely affected quite a few folks out there but just like the outage was not meant personally, my post was not meant personally to you. I used your post to help illustrate the issue.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  12. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Enhance your calm, John Spartan.
  13. svann Augur

Yea it was centurylink that dropped half the internet. Reported on cnn
  14. Nennius Curmudgeon

QFT
  15. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Luckily I use the 'half the internet' that had no problems.

So was it Cloudflare or Centurylink that continued to service my entire 'half the internet'?

Or as I said before, neither is the single point of failure?
    Nennius likes this.
  16. svann Augur

read for yourself
    Major internet outage: Dozens of websites and apps were down
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/30/tech/internet-outage-cloudflare/index.html

Centurylink caused issues with cloudflare, who in turn services many games and internet websites. Blaming dpg is an error.
    And yes I originally thought it was cloudflare. Well it was but they werent the original issue. I guess I was wrong to blame Cloudflare since it wasnt their fault.
  17. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

"Cloudflare's automated systems detected the problem and routed around them but the extent of the problem required manual intervention as well."

I'm no expert on networking, and I get that Centurylink is 'level 3' part of the backbone there. But if Cloudflare has no way around a bottleneck of Centurylink, why would they claim they have 'automated systems to route around such problems'?

Cloudflare claims they have automated systems to route around these kinds of issues. But their systems didn't work (in an automated and timely fashion).

So I kind of still maintain that Centurylink wasn't the only one that had a problem today. And was therefore not the single point of failure.

<shrug> I see that most news outlets are going to point to Centurylink though, and clearly that was the 'first domino' to fall.

As I said, I'm no expert. I just thought having domain name servers everywhere and the 'weblike' nature of the connections were designed to avoid single point failures by one provider.
  18. svann Augur

My take is that cloudflare's business is protecting against ddos attacks. And there could be fault directed to more than one player, but none of the fault lies with dpg in this case. That would be like blaming the store because their CC reader wont work when the visa servers are down.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  19. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I never said DPG was at fault in this thread.

I only said "I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Centurylink is not the single point of failure."

Although Centurylink went down first and caused an issue for others, Cloudflare claims they have systems to route around this, but they didn't work. So yeah, I'm gonna go out on a limb again and say: Cloudflare had a failure today too.

Now if you are interested in my opinion on DPG, vis a vis today, they failed also. They couldn't recover from Cloudflare's failure, and Cloudflare couldn't recover from Centurylink's failure.

Modern day businesses fell like dominoes, when one point of a 'world wide web' designed to avoid single point failures, failed.
  20. svann Augur

Could you recover if your isp went down?
    They did recover eventually, but it took awhile.