When is enough.... enough?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cicelee, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Thanks for the post i was thinking on doing on my ranger but evolving earring takes that long im gonna pass but least its better than the old hunters ive been doing with many in the 20+ hr spawn range.

Andarriel
  2. Tucoh Augur

After blowing through ToV I regret maxing out the 4 chase items in TBL. I beat all the group missions before leveling/gearing, what's the point of grinding for BiS gear if the game is too easy for it to matter?

I quickly finished ToV progression, did the challenger achievements and unsubbed within a couple weeks. I'll probably skip the next expansion unless it has more content than I expect or has something worth doing. I'm going to play all the guild wars 2 content I missed this fall instead.
  3. Ninelder Augur

I don't mind that the evolvers take forever to level. Yeah it underlines which classes the devs are slurping on; we had 3 SKs fully evolve it like a month after starting it. No one else was even close. What I hate most about them is that they can only be XPd in ToV.

Half my guild is doing this earring... We get a returning or new player come in and they need/want to do something in TBL(or any other expansion) No one will help them. They cant afford to waste time helping someone do crap in older expansions when they still have #thousand hours of ToV only grinding to do on earring.

There are enough bonuses to doing current content without having to make it the only place our evolvers can XP. The expansion requirement on them is a bad idea.
  4. Bigstomp Augur

Enough is enough when everquest turns off the servers. EVERquest.

What else are you going to do? I assume most raiders (you used to be a raider) have been max xp for months. So we have something to do.
    Petalonyx likes this.
  5. Bigstomp Augur

The grinding in ToV is not as bad as you think. But yes. I agree.
    I'm not sure how devs fix it, but the last couple expansions content has been designed about new content.

It used to be I cannot play with my friends in new content due to flags.
    Now it is I cannot play with my friends in old content because of a fairly hefty mob kill count I need in new content.

Obviously you could play with them, but 'I can help you, and me at the same time' is not so accurate when if I step down an expansion, it's useless to me.
  6. PhinigelKronoFarmer Journeyman

That's because SK is the most popular tank for automated groups. Those SK's were grinding 24/7.
  7. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Don't be dumb.

SKs and Paladins can solo without a merc in ToV, which is why it is so easy for us to level. Has nothing to do with "automated groups", that is just silly.

The first 4 or 5 levels you can kill 5-8 dark blues for a %, and a knight can solo kill 40-60 an hour easy with raid gear and if you do the right places.
    Szilent likes this.
  8. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

You're being ridiculous.

Why don't you explain to the devs how you balance a PVE game to NOT benefit grinding based things like this (or PLing, or whatever) to the classes that can tank and heal themselves other than lower their dps to such low levels they have to group with other people?
  9. Febb Augur

Usually when I'm grasping onto the grass to keep from falling off the earth is when enough is enough.
  10. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

If anyone truly believes you "need" evolves maxed to perform, speak to Aywendil/Sicario in RA. He has none of them and yet he still blows up parses. As he would say: #don'tsuck #pushmorebuttons
  11. Spankage Elder

If I'm lead to believe this item will be best in slot for the next one or even two expansions... why is it such a big deal that it requires a bit of grinding? it's something to work toward while you're leveling alts or guildies or whatever.
  12. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

The class stack is the problem - not the rate of evolution.

But then, people seem to like being able to destroy content solo. And the devs appear happy to allow it. The divide widens....
  13. Spankage Elder

I play a warrior, I'd never dream of playing the other tank classes just because they can solo content or allegedly level an ear quicker. I played in groups and boxed a lot, at times gaining upwards of 9% an hour on the final level - far more than the claims I've seen here of "solo" classes.

Choosing to focus on another class' ability to solo rather than iron out your own deficiencies is laughable and wholly telling of the typical forum discussions.

How'd this derail into class wars? You either play more and grind more (we all agree it's boring and tedious) or you don't. For an item that's going to last, at minimum, 18ish months.. this sure is a hot topic.
  14. Sissruukk Rogue One

How is Sicario doing? Haven't seen him visit Vox in ages.
  15. Xyphen Maximum Augur

I doubt anyone believes you need evolves maxed to perform. It's knowing that doing so unequivocally adds something, if almost infinitesimally small, to your current performance.
  16. Ninelder Augur

Class imbalance issues aside, the big easy fix to Evolving Items is to not tie them to an expansion. Make it so that anywhere I XP, i can also evolve my evolver. This way Its not a total loss for me to help friends and guildees in older expansions. Older content already means less XP, why exacerbate that?

Tying it to only evolve in ToV reduces grouping opportunities for everyone. It's a simple but bad idea that should of been axed a minute after they thought of it. It takes a large bite out of the second M in MMORPG, you know the "multiplayer" part. Common sense.
    Andarriel likes this.
  17. Bigstomp Augur

I agree. Make it worth less, but let me step an expansion back to help someone else yet still get some xp on my items (even if it's lower).
  18. Schadenfreude Augur

Or, as has been said numerous times before you could stop using third-party add ons and play the game as intended?
  19. Tucoh Augur

If I played the game as intended and got a few of the boys together to do the content we'd probably have to start stripping gear to make any of the optional grinding in EQ relevant to beating the content.
  20. ptah Augur

Do or Dont. Tov earring is very passive if your active somewhat in tov, an easy quest. Yes one or some can claim a time investment. Are we not all wasting or burning free time on this game or another?

If not for ear quest these same people would be crying, "i have nothing to do!"

Log on have fun with or without a quest to check boxes on.