20th anniversary and lifetime subscription for sale again?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Twong, Feb 16, 2019.

1. KermittheFroglok Augur

Oddly we've passed the first "break even" point for anyone upgraded to the liftetime promotion from monthly. Just to remind everyone else of the break even points:

Upgraded from Monthly: August 2020 :D
    Upgraded from Semi-Annual: November 2020 (~ 3 months to go)
    Upgraded from Annual: June 2021 (~10 months to go)

Since a discount on ToV has been hinted on the forums... I'd say its pretty safe to say we'll be getting another expansion and the game will easily continue long enough that even the people upgrading from annual will have benefited from the call to buy into limited lifetime promo.

However, just to quell this thread before it ramps back up, it's already been stated that lifetime ship has sailed and will likely never return to port, perhaps its marooned at Marauder's Mire a zone we'll likewise never see again. :(

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/lifetime-subs.266411/
    Nennius and Coagagin like this.
  2. seaninsa Journeyman

What interest rate?
  3. KermittheFroglok Augur

Seriously, DBG determined its not a good idea to continue offering them & the people that bought them are very likely to break even at this point. What is there to really argue?

If you have to know the answer to Viper1's point, ignoring that the entire debate is moot.

The average national money market rate is .08%, for those outside finance professions, the rates in the link below are already PERCENT, so it's .08% not 8%. I'm using the money market rate because a its more likely a corporation would put their cash reserve in money market savings. Options that yield more could be available, but I'm under the impression DBG's holding company wouldn't have DBG specifically do that for a few reasons not worth going into.
    https://www.fdic.gov/regulations/resources/rates/

The annual U.S. inflation rate is generally in the ballpark of 1% to 2%.

.08% interest < 1% inflation

So the upfront cash payment would be a worse scenario, assuming customers kept paying their sub over a period of comparable cost to the lifetime sub,t he money were put into a typical bank savings product, and there's no cashflow deficit that can't be resolved cheaper.
    Coagagin likes this.
  4. Buster_Shruggs Augur

Lol, feel free!
  5. KermittheFroglok Augur

Fail on my part, just noticed the jumbo deposit money market rate is actual .15%, but... again still way lower than 1% inflation.
  6. KermittheFroglok Augur

Man, I am stupid, someone pointed out that I did my math wrong for semiannual and put the three month break even in there too.

Upgraded from Monthly: August 2020 :D
    Upgraded from 3 Month: November 2020 (~ 3 months to go)
    Upgraded from Semi-Annual: January 2021 (~ 5 months to go)
    Upgraded from Annual: June 2021 (~10 months to go)

Doing this math makes me wish I opened three more accounts back in Dec'18 so I could six box :confused:
  7. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I did not get lifetime sub and have no regrets. I am happy to support the game with a monthly sub (and the occasional Krono for heritage crate items). Someone mentioned at the time of the sale that Daybreak would lose revenue in the long term due to lifetime subs. I hope this is not the case.

If people focus on the savings [of the lifetime sub], they are missing the point. I'd like to keep EQ running for as long as possible. While my expenditure is probably just a drop in the bucket, but just as we pay premiums or give tips to other businesses, I feel like my monthly sub is a recognition of my appreciation for the game and studio.
  8. Visitor Augur

I got perma when it went on sale, and consider it is paid for in subs at 30 months, so that means June ish 2021. All the other entertainment I don't pay for, puts me way ahead. Still for those who are addicted to EQ, it is important that it is profitable, or it will shut down.
  9. KermittheFroglok Augur

I feel like a hypocrite for still posting, but I don't think it matters because I suspect most will spend the same amount each year just out of habit even if the potential savings were the justification for doing so. I've found I'm still spending the same amount each year. I agree with your comment because I'm still spending the same amount (if not more) each year, the only difference that I'm now putting hundreds into things like heritage crates or higher tier expansions for all of my accounts instead of subs. DBG definitely won in terms of my spend :oops:

I think the counter arguments to getting a lifetime sub back in Dec. 2018 were valid too. At that point it felt like there was more uncertainty around the franchise and a lot of us were still angry with the Burning Lands being both mis-tuned and entirely locked behind progression(not to reopen that debate too...). I remember a fair amount of discussion between myself, my brother, and my fiance (at the time) the day the Lifetime subs were announced before we collectively decided to go for it.

As bizarre as it sounds, I'm curious if part of the reason DBG was more comfortable offering the promotion then & even expanded the number of lifetime sales was that they didn't think EQ would make up as many of the sales because of how many people were initially unhappy with the Burning Lands. Just anecdotally spit balling ideas on that one.
    Benito likes this.
  10. Zinth Augur

yeah me too sadly... if I had lifetime I would just spend more on DBstore crap lol