VP key the current cancer of Aradune

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Yaboi, Aug 27, 2020.

1. bbqpulledpork New Member

im not like a computer genius or anything but i did go to a community college. Couldn't i just go into the game files and change the "60" minute respawn timer to be like "15"? get some subs back and make everyone happy? you guys should hire me. my guilds had several people burn out from VP keying already and haven't logged in in days.
  2. Captain Video Augur

No, because the respawn timer isn't a parameter in a game file; the entire encounter sequence is scripted. It's 20+ year-old code within a largely undocumented proprietary game engine written in 1996. Some of the original code from that era doesn't even officially survive anymore, the game is using replacement code patched together with strings.

This argument has repeated for each of the last four or five TLP cycles. The most fundamental concept here is being completely ignored: If it was that easy to change, the devs would have changed it before now. There are some aspects of Classic EQ being a very old game that you just have to live with.

There are simple solutions to VP keying that don't require changing a single line of code. Form a guild. Open a pick. Farm by yourselves. Profit.
  3. Healiez Augur

Prathun used to always rant about the old code, and how crazy it was.

He said a lot of it is basically spaghetti code now, and changing one thing could have effects on other unrelated things.

Changing the spawn time of say A large bat to 20 minutes, could make innoruuk suddenly have a 20 minute respawn. It is an extreme example, but it makes a point.

It is hard to go around mucking with old code, especially when a "simple" change could have crazy consequences.
  4. merkmerk73 Journeyman

There's very little chance that's true

Spawns are almost guaranteed to be governed by some kind of large table.

Some of the spawn cycles on rares, sure, but just increasing the spawn rate is not going to be difficult at all.
    Ctrl+F ancient jarsath. Find entry - set timer.
    Same for swamp globe, same for rotting skeleton, same for VKR, etc.
  5. Yaboi New Member

We pay to play this game. You guys are defending them not fixing their game, you should be ashamed of yourself.
    Thalliius likes this.
  6. Protagonist Tank

lol.

Also, quit before Luclin gets here. If you care this hard about a relatively easy key for a relatively low-reward zone, you're going to have a stroke over VT. And BoT will make you rise from the dead to nerdrage yourself back to death again.
  7. merkmerk73 Journeyman

VT isn't anywhere near as bad as this
    Thalliius, jeskola and Yaboi like this.
  8. Thez69 Elder

Fixing is odd choice of words for something thats working the same way it always has
  9. Kahna Augur

You guys do know that they have already adjusted the spawn times of these things already in the recent past. They are more than capable of successfully lowering the respawn times without breaking the game.
    Thalliius and Skuz like this.
  10. Yaboi New Member

Sounds more like you're a daybreak apologist. Go buy some more daybreak cash. How about I say improving instead of fixing. Guess your small brain couldn't pick up the fact that I wasn't using the literal term.
    Fenixe17 and Thez69 like this.
  11. merkmerk73 Journeyman

Yeah I don't know where he's getting this complete nonsense notion of being unable to tweak spawn timers

People knew how to program and knew some basic OOP principles in the late 90s. They weren't coding on stone tablets in some ancient forgotten elder tongue.
  12. HicksAradune Augur

Dont see what the problem is
  13. Rizlowned Lorekeeper

me neither, everyone be positive and happy please
  14. jeskola pheerie

While that Brad McQuaid quote from 1999 was an excellent find, can you think of any examples of follow-through after rubicite and j-boots?
  15. Kiaro Augur

The funny thing is that Rubicite being removed from the drop tables had very little to do with the bottleneck of content (they could have just introduced the class armor quests and Rubi would have been less desirable) It was 100% to catch whoever was duplicating items in EQ.

Jboots was horrible though, it turned a mid teens zone into a level 50 permacamp with lines around the block. That was a good change.

As for the VP key quest, this thread is repeated every TLP, and the quest has been made 5000x easier since Phinigel got to experience this insanity, and people still complain.

Here is a hint though, you REALLY REALLY don't want to do VP, its boring, very, very, very, boring. Just farm plat during Kunark, you'll be a lot happier with yourself.
  16. Aegir Augur

Necklace of Superiority used to drop from The Kly dude at the very end in the basement in Crypt of Dalnir. Got Moved to Drusella in Howling Stones. It was basically perma-camped by anyone +51 with a pet. The PH and him had some tricks in their sleeves, but Necros had a good platfarm there :).

I'm actually guessing they made him - and the PH that hard in order to prevent the neck being solo farmed, but again, eventually players outsmarted the game and they eventually had to move the item to another place.
    Skuz and jeskola like this.
  17. Lejaun Augur

How do you know what people want? Most of the server spent the past few months farming Sky. VP is more fun than Sky is, at least to me.
    Skuz likes this.
  18. bbqpulledpork New Member

brad said he was doing an "anti camping" campaign. id say 60 people standing in a zone waiting on a spawn qualifies.
  19. Kiaro Augur

And chewing on tree bark is more fun than chewing on rocks, but I'm not going to recommend either.
  20. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Dude just wait a month. You really don't need a VP key to play the game. Skipping 1 raid zone for a month of a 3 month expansion isn't the same as being forced to quit. Trust me you'll be fine.

Phara Dar loot is other then the cloak which isn't good till SoL. All of it is wildly outclassed in SoV and you can do all of SoV in Classic gear. The only thing really good out of VP on TLPs is Robe of Smothering.