When is enough.... enough?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cicelee, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

I would still be leveling my earring were it not for my office space being shut down due to Covid lol :) Maybe not, but I'm glad I was able to get it done early - it was like 2 weeks after t3 launched.

I did all of my grinding either helping people finish Hunter or in GD Dwarf caves.

I hope we never have to grind evolves ever again if I'm being honest. My usual "this is not content" message inserted here.
    Syylke_EMarr likes this.
  2. Sissruukk Rogue One

I haven't even started on it and you are making me depressed. :p
    Coagagin likes this.
  3. Dibab Augur

so i have been on the last evolving stage for aprox a week and a half. i am currently at 71% and ill have it done by the weekend. 4 months is a huge stretch
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Having seen some of the TBL chase loot/evolving item discussions & now this earring I do have to wonder if the devs are intent on creating "some" content that is purposely designed to suck the fun out of the game.

Tear of Alaris was the thing that almost made me quit (didn't do it in VoA, waited until RoF as I heard the fragments dropped more then) , not during it but afterwards when I realised how far behind I had gotten while I focused on it, doing that thing in a month from start to finish (on a TLP no less) didn't feel that bad in the process, but it ate up time I could have been using on progression.

I avoided the Head & shoulder slot evolving quests type items simply figuring on TLP they were not worth grinding out as they'd get replaced too fast for them to really benefit me.

I think such grinds need to die in a fire, "some" grinding I think is okay, but the earring sounds excessively grindy & as another poster pointed out this actually is the sort of thing that encourages & motivates AFK bots, as older players I think many of us don't have the tolerance for such grinds any more, they're boring, games are not supposed to be boring.
    Nadisia likes this.
  5. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

I like them. Gives something to do.

Protecting some people against self-inflicted OCD to finish everything is not a justification for taking content away from everyone else.
    Dibab likes this.
  6. Qbert Gallifreyan

A lot depends on what you are playing as (solo/molo/boxed/full group, etc.), but I found the loop of the lowest tunnels in Crystal Caverns (the terrors/spiders and golems if killing fast enough) to be significantly faster than any of the above when I maxed my earring a few months back.

The spectres in ToFS that you mention, in particular, I would do when I wanted to be a bit lazier. The evolution speed there was roughly half of what I could get in Crystal Caverns (weak con spiders sprinkled in is a nice bonus too).
  7. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

Bad game design is bad game design, no matter what affliction players may suffer as a result.
    Skuz likes this.
  8. Nadisia Augur

Honestly, the ToV evolving earring is not that bad.
    Sure, it requires some grind, and tradeskills, but if you don't rush and do not keep your eyes focused all the time on the percentage, it moves slowly but surely.
    And besides the earring, it offers some pretty good things (augs, new powersource recipe, etc)

On the other hand, the TBL items ... jeez :rolleyes:.
    The pure grind to evolve the items is not that bad either in the long run, but the pre reqs, seriously ...

The Djarn ring was ok : Champion of EoK+RoS, why not.
    It was somewhat current, the progression was ok, so it was fine for me.

For the boots, it's easy (explorer achievement) but ... stupid.
    Seriously, where is the fun to start, and restart, and restart again the LDoN missions to get every single sub map? Nowhere, it was just boring as hell.

The shoulders? Scavenger achievements from TDS and up.
    Well, ok. If you have the soul of a vacuum cleaner, it's probably doable.
    And now Overseer should help.
    But bad luck for me, I don't like Overseer, at all, and I'm not a Roomba® : I just grab what I see/drop, and that's all, so for me, shoulders : discarded :D.

And for gloves : ok for the EoK + RoS hunter achievements, same as ring, it was still current-ish, but Planeslayer achievement, really?
    It was sooooo fun to camp a truckload of grey lvl 60 mobs ...
    That's why we started to level up some new alts with hubby : camping the mobs with the alts, and killing them with the mains.
    That way, it was a little bit better, but still ultra mega boring.

So on 4 items: one designed correctly (ring) and the other 3 with some pretty stupid steps here and there.

So I don't know if it was done on purpose, probably not, but
    Goal achieved, it was not really fun. :p
    Some of this stuff (TBL ones) was really poorly designed, and was sorely lacking in inventiveness
    Vumad and Skuz like this.
  9. kizant Augur

I actually like the way the earring quest is designed. There's good things unlocked as an incentive to at least do parts of it. The first few levels are pretty easy and there's nothing special about the last level. Leave that one to the crazy people or just take your time. I'll probably have it done eventually but there's sure no rush.
    Nennius, Szilent and Nadisia like this.
  10. Nadisia Augur

Yeah, the ToV earring is not bad at all.
    And everything is focused on ToV zones.
    Even the scavenger achievement is ok when you know it from start, you take upon yourself, make a little effort even if you don't really like the collections, and it's doable.

But for TBL items, backtracking at TDS for collections, PoP for hunter achievement, and so on, really?
  11. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Except I think its good game design.

If you don't like it, you don't need to do it.

I didn't do two of the TBL evolvers for awhile, and the last one I only finished recently. Because I'm not OCD about it. I worked on when I wanted, how I want. With gear being so freaking inflated over what you need to beat the content, its all irrelevant anyway

But I enjoy this kind of thing. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean other people don't.
    Shanarias and Nennius like this.
  12. Gynek Lorekeeper

Honestly, the earring grind and the power boost available from leveling it substantially made me stop playing my character entirely.

I started a whole character on a different server and had a fun adventure instead, and now I have a 2nd main.

Some people like that stuff and some people don't, I just wish it wasn't so important that I legit don't even parse on raids anymore because I don't have it.

To each their own, I won't say "I couldn't do this, so make it easier so I can" but I'm also not going to say it's any degree of enjoyable gameplay.

My suggestion would be to make the next one evolve based on HAs completed from various expansions, rewarding those who have done everything always with something nice, and making the "Grind" for those who haven't be engaging and enjoyable, and make them experience content they haven't.

Hence, for TBL items, I did the boots and the ring. Cuz those challenges, while hard for me, were more adventurous and enjoyable than picking up a million collects or trying to camp every named possible (I hate RNG a lot)

Being difficult and in a way grindy is nice, but I dunno I wish we'd move away from the boring repetitive style of gameplay for SUCH long periods. But then I just hate grinding under any circumstance, and I like having fun adventures.

Shrug life, my 2 cents.
  13. Smokezz The Bane Crew

What? You're not going to be significantly different in parses without the earring...
    Duder likes this.
  14. Krushor Journeyman

I ground eighteen ears. Boo hoo hoo
  15. Celephane Augur

Why only 18?
  16. Nennius Curmudgeon

What do you use ground ear for? :)
    Skuz likes this.
  17. Gynek Lorekeeper

I can't figure out what else would be causing such a decrease for me vs the other mages with the same everything, except the proc augs from completing this earring quest.
  18. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

2 main issues I have with doing the earring.

1. It wasn't in at start, therefore we needed to go back to zones we had finished.
    2. By the time you get to evoliving the last ear you have completed ToV and have no reason other to help others to go back there.
    3. I'm sick of white zones!

Personally I've been playing an alt instead of finishing up earring as she still needs stuff. I think I have around 20% to go to be finished. :rolleyes:
  19. Whulfgar Augur

The beauty of it.. you ain't gotta do it..
    Nobody forcing ya to put the time in to get all the new hotnesses.. except you..

Unless you want all the new hotnesses.. for less then what others have put into the game .
  20. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You might not enjoy the next expansion then, I have a feeling it will have a few more of those.