Different types of Temporary?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by StiTch.ed, Aug 25, 2020.

1. StiTch.ed Journeyman

Hey folks.

So the rule of Temporary has been the same as No Rent (yeah that one never made sense to me) since the old days as far as I remember - log for 30 mins and it poofs.

However a select few items, for example the Bristlebane's wine/bread summoned by the Jester, seem to have a far more brutal ruleset where they'll disappear instantly if you die or in some cases simply log out.

This is now the third time in as many days the game has crashed after getting a good stack of wine and wiped it. I'd like to know if this is a bug or there's a visible indicator and reason behind it.

Thanks (y)
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I always had heard NO RENT was there for 15 minutes, not 30, after logout.

Not sure if those same rules apply to TEMPORARY or not. Instant disappearance may be coded in.
  3. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

Players don't automatically save each time their state changes.(acquire new items, gain xp, etc) ,, or if they do, it first goes to a temporary buffer.

When the game crashes, without a specific rollback, the game will revert your character back to the last "permanent" saved state. Which is why when you acquire (earn, finish) something in game that you don't want to lose, you should at least zone, which will often, but not always, cause a "permanent" save but more promising, log out and back in, which definitely will.

People will often claim they got rolled back, when in fact they were in the same zone for a period of time and the game never got to permanently save their status (if you are in a zone long enough, you will get a save ... but it may take some time).

Now if there is true rollback, you're at the mercy of how far back it goes.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

No they changed how long they stay years ago. - the following post is about key rings but it has the line at the end about items not in key ring.

Aug 2017: " No-rent items will now be removed from key ring slots after logging out for 30+ minutes in the same fashion that no-rent items are removed from standard inventory slots."

But in the same patch they made it so you could not put temporary items in key rings so there was a difference between temporary and no rent - then it appears to have changed so I think its just semantics at this point since Allah shows:

TEMPORARY
    Formerly known as "NO RENT," this indicates the item will disappear from your inventory or bank after you have been disconnected from the server for more than 30 minutes

But onto the OP issue - I agree with post above - prob crashed or rolled back and didn't realize it.
  5. StiTch.ed Journeyman

I would have thought so too: however, there are two things that conflict with this:

1) the game had been logged in with that wine a considerable time, and when I logged back in, I still had other temporary items I obtained from almost exactly the same time

2) The item behaves differently overall, disappearing whenever I die, which is unusual for temporary items

Both of the above are consistent: if I crash I lose the wine on all occasions and never lose other items, and this item will poof from inventory on any death.

Next time I get the wine, I will log out and straight back in to see if it insta-poofs on camp, but I've been observing this long enough to know it's not just a freak one/two/three-off or whatever. I generally won't raise a problem unless it's consistent; the purpose of this thread was to identify whether this is intentional behavior. It only really applies to the Bristlebane's wine/bread from the Jester, but if it's not intentional, I can reproduce the unusual behaviour enough to raise it as a bug.
  6. Qbert Gallifreyan

There are a variety of other types of flags, including one that would describe this behavior (NO ZONE). Perhaps there is a similar-acting flag on this item, but hidden from the user.