Boxing Server that does not allow 3rd party software

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Boris, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Boris New Member

I have played on both Aradune, Rizlona, and previously Mangler.

I am currently on Rizlona and have noticed an large amount of Automated gameplay. However, I have been told that as long as you are able to respond to a GM. You are allowed to use this automated software.

I have seen people botting as small as 1 other character up to entire raids. They user 3rd party software to "broadcast" a button push, and/or to auto target mobs as they spawn in and cast spells on them to kill.

I think there needs to be a clear distinction of boxing and botting.
    Boxing is where you actually play the characters, all of them, not letting a 3rd party software do the work for you. Botting is where you program other characters to do something based on other parameter you can setup using a 3rd party program.

In my opinion, people agree to these terms, but they are NOT being enforced:
    Absolutely No Automated/Unintended Game-play, any incident of automated gameplay is immediate suspension, second offence is a ban including all Rizlona associated accounts.

It says "Absolutely No Automated/Unintended Game-play" Using a 3rd party software IS 100% Automated Gameplay. I do not care if the player can respond to tells just because they can respond does not mean they should be allowed to use 3rd party software.
    I'm not sure how long a suspension is, but I have personally watched a guy get 'LD' after failing to respond to a GM while the GM is watching the person chain casting spells. And later that day I find the exact same person, quite literally doing the exact same thing that got them removed by a GM in the first place. Same exact location, and spell chain casting.

With that said, Please create a TRUE, BOXING Server does does NOT allowed Automated game play using 3rd party software or this 'broadcasting' thing people are talking about. If a player wants to play more than 1 character, that's fine, but they actually need to play the character(s) not Automate them.

If you are going to allow 3rd party software and Automated gameplay with the stipulation that your only required to be able to respond to a GM if they try talking to you, then you need to be clear and upfront about it. You should also provide a list of approved 3rd party software for ALL players to use if they so choose. So that it is a fair playing field.
  2. Thewiz Augur

3. Healiez Augur

Not sure why you have an issue with broadcasting. Its still the player pressing the keystrokes, just having them assigned to a certain toon.
  4. Accipiter Old Timer

Rizlona was created because there was demand for a TLP server that followed Live uh... practices. All previous TLPs were, by rule, no-bot servers. You can argue that DPG's enforcement is lacking but you are bucking the trend here.
  5. Healiez Augur

They have also stated in the past key broadcasting is considered playing the character.

I am not talking about the hit the key then the toon magically sticks to the mob until its dead, but hitting a keystroke and say telling your cleric to target and heal the tank is ok.
  6. Boris New Member

Ok, well I did not know this, could you provide the link to this and what program they are allowing that does this?
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

3rd party software is more "tolerated to a degree" than "allowed", strictly-speaking it isn't allowed on any server, but enforcing it is an issue.

You can ask for a server that allows boxing without the 3rd party software and all you will see is the software change to eventually defeat whatever counter-measures are put in place, at this point in the game's life that fight is not worth it any more as the fight to maintain a server without it is too costly.

The GM on Aradune / Rizlona are still an experiment at this stage, only time will tell if they proved to be cost-effective.

Fighting AFK automation still happens though, and that's a fight the players take part in, to mixed results.
  8. Boris New Member

It says in the agreement that you must click YES to every time you log in:
    "Absolutely No Automated"

I am simply pointing out that using 3rd party software IS Automated and that since they DO allow it even though it is against the rules they themselves put out. They should make a new TLP that allows Boxing Toons, but not Automated 3rd party gameplay.

I'm not sure what you think I am asking for, but as for 'bucking the trend' if the trend is to have video games that play themselves with minimal player interaction. How about you go watch a movie instead?
    Duder likes this.
  9. Healiez Augur

It was in the discord when Rizlona was being discussed. Broadcasting was brought up and the answer was basically " As long as you are at the keyboard issuing the commands its allowed"
    Skuz likes this.
  10. Boris New Member

Broadcasting is still a 3rd party software. Not sure where the confusion is here.
    If you want to play 2 or more toons and have them all cast. Then put your game in windowed mode, move the characters to separate monitors and move your mouse around clicking the spells. Or even just 'activate' the window and press the number key that corresponds with the spell like someone would who is playing 1 toon.
  11. Thewiz Augur

Give it a rest Boris. When Rizlona was launched they even forgot to allow [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] to run with multiple clients open. After we let them know they enabled it.
    Skuz likes this.
  12. Machen New Member

If this is what you want, Rizlona is the wrong server for you.
    Skuz likes this.
  13. Leifer69 New Member

What about if you have, say, a 6 box which uses a very sophisticated program that allows you to push 1 button to start your whole playing session. All toons run to their camp spot (from anywhere in Norrath), and play for hours without you having to push a button, or if needed, maybe a dozen button pushes during the whole session. As you sit at your desktop somewhat "paying attention" - and as long as you can respond to a potential GM you are perfectly legal?

If the answer to that question is "yes", then I think we are not seriously playing a game. We are watching a video. Just as you would push a button on your remote to watch Netflix. Boxers using this software claim that the "skill" is in setting up the program to do what you want it to do - not in button smashing. There are also easy ways to protect yourself by having "GM" detection in the zone with a loud audio alert that can wake you from your slumber at your desk or across the room snoozing on the couch.

If the answer to the above question is "no", than there must be a wide gray area where some form of boxing is legal but the one(ish) button approach is not legal. Is it one computer per account? Is it several accounts per computer - but no software? Some Software that is not so auto-intensive? Tough to draw a line in that big gray area, and also tough to police.

I've seen boxers with no programs get banned while being AFK while their pet killed a grey mob that he had no intention of wanting to even kill. I've seen botters sit for days without once having any sort of problems or fear of getting banned. It's an imperfect system and game, and if it's very troubling to you, then you should find a different game to play. Many of us will do just that.
    Duder likes this.
  14. Machen New Member

Yes, on Rizlona. Or any live server. If you don't think people are seriously playing the game, maybe stick to the truebox servers if it bugs you so much.
    Skuz likes this.
  15. Leifer69 New Member

Personally, I like the boxers (even those with programs). They have been some of the nicest and most helpful people on the server. But, I don't have to stretch my imagination too far in order to see how a large player base can think it's toxic.

It is a different game than what they may envision EQ to be. I think many people who complain so much want a P99-ish version of the game with some of today's QoL features from Live. However, P99 isn't perfect in the policing of the one-player, one account rule either.

ALL the TLP's have a form of boxing (and Truebox can be just as bad in that regard as Rizlona & Ragefire). So, "stick to truebox" isn't really much of a solution. Players have to accept the fact that EQ has matured into a far different game and if they don't like it, they should quit - and many of them have and will. But, many of us have joined the boxing bandwagon - some to a lesser degree than others.
  16. Machen New Member

Yeah, but at least there the software is technically against the rules. The OP is just banging his head against the wall uselessly complaining about boxing on the one TLP designed to be boxing friendly.
    Skuz and Thewiz like this.
  17. Accipiter Old Timer

You clearly have no idea how EQ works in 2020.
  18. Kahna Augur

DBG doesn't think so. When Rizlona went live it still had the anti-broadcasting code active on it, so that if 2 or more toons pressed the same key at the same time it would disconnect them all. There was a thread on it on the forums, I am too lazy to look it up for you but it went something like this. . .

Players: Hey DPG the anti-broadcasting code is disconnecting people on Rizlona, is that supposed to happen? I wanted to use my third party program.

DPG: OMG, Oops, we forgot about that. Give us a sec.... There... Try now.

Players: Yay, that worked, now I am not getting disconnected when I use my third party program to broadcast commands to my other toons.

DPG will never go straight out and say that certain third party programs are okay, but the fact that they went out of their way to remove a code from Rizlona in order to make it so that a third party program didn't disconnect you is pretty darn telling.
  19. Duder Augur

You have convinced me that you are wholly incapable of understanding what you read. Did you miss the distinction between "boxing" and "botting"? While the conversation between the devs and players prior to the choice of rulesets for the new servers indicates different, Rizlona's ruleset still states that automation (not key broadcasting), is against the rules. We all know what this means. Stop trying to wash /\/\Q/KA as boxing (with or without keypress broadcasting). They aren't the same.
  20. Tinklepee New Member

Broadcasting keystrokes is pretty much synonymous with boxing and I don't believe it qualifies as automation. The other program that literally plays your characters for you is definitely automation but it doesn't bother me if people use it on a server specifically made for boxing.