EQPLAYERS

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Andarriel, Aug 19, 2020.

1. Act of Valor The Newest Member

An honest question: Why does bumping an old thread matter? Who is harmed if someone does it?
  2. Lianeb Augur

The bunnies
  3. Nennius Curmudgeon

Sigh. I think we all forgot about the bunnies. Their story is such a sad one.
  4. Szilent Augur

the problem is that no one looks at the timestamps to SEE that it's a necro thread, and that whatever issue it's discussing isn't current, leading to all sorts of nonsense
  5. Zamiam Augur

Am I missing something here .. does the term Necro thread mean something that I'm not aware of ..
    I'm thinking when someone says its a necro thread that its about necro's or necro issues or a necro started the thread .. am I right or is it meaning like its a dead topic ?

I dont feel there is anything wrong with reviving an old thread If the thread is about a current issue .. that cuts down on multiple threads of the same issue, however if its just someone trying to bump a thread on a dead topic just to start another forumquest argument and trolling then no I am not for that ..
  6. Nennius Curmudgeon

I could suggest necrophilia, but I think the definition would likely earn me a vacation from the boards.
  7. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Depends on the thread. Sometimes it can have old information that is no longer valid.

Folks don't always recognize that its an old thread and then think whatever issue it is talking about is current. Really silly resurrecting server down threads for instance which really then clouds the issue of what the current server outage is.

I suspect it is easier to just discourage reviving old threads then to have to read through then and see if they are still relevant or whether the issue has changed and might mislead folks.

Might not be so bad if there was a very obvious OLD THREAD warning.

There are some situations where bringing back an old thread is a good thing. Say if its an ongoing technical issue.

My preference would be to start a new thread and then put in a link to an old appropriate thread for information purposes. You can then make clear its an old thread. Old threads could be locked but still kept available for linking to which seems the best solution to me.
    Skuz, Zamiam and Fanra like this.
  8. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Necroing threads as a "violation" is dumb. Someone griefing the forums by bumping all the oldest threads for no reason is one thing, someone searching for a thread on a specific issue, then commenting relevant information on it is completely different.

It always struck me as absurd in the earlier days of the internet when people would whine about necroing threads on a topic, but at the same time attack people posting on a well-worn issue to "regulars" but that was a new or current issue to that person, yelling at them to "search before posting". It was always hypocritical in forums rules and contradictory in practice.

You might as well just delete every thread that becomes over 3 months old since the last post if that is the tack being taken.

Its also contradictory to have a forum rule against "bumping" while at the same time having a forum rule against "necroing". Where is the line? Some thread posted and plays out waiting further information/patch/resolution, either people have to keep posting BS things to "bump" without "bumping", else if they post on it a few months or even years (and considering how this gaming company will take YEARS to address bugs and issues and has done so ever since the beginning...) when there is finally something relevant to post on it after a change, it gets locked for necroing?

There is this word, its something reasonable human beings use when dealing with things like this:

context

Seriously, look at the context before applying fast and hard rules on something that is completely innocuous.
    SunDrake, Act of Valor and Nennius like this.
  9. Szilent Augur

That is definitely done, and no one has ever applied a hard and fast rule on this.
  10. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Inconsistency due to lack of awareness is not the same thing as a judicious application of regulations. Let's be real, there is one person moderating this stuff unless a dev gets a bug up their butt about something they see, and that person can't/doesn't read everything. There is a reason it will take a week before something gets nuked. Likely because it took that long for someone user to report it.
  11. cadres Augur

Well in this instance, it (the rule) doesn't work well
    We wanted EQ players to be fixed back in the day of the old thread, and somene rezzed said thread because it's still an issue - EQPlayers (or similar) would be really useful and I don't see why it would be hard to implement; all those numbers are available
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

EQ Players wasn't paying for itself, probably far too few players were paying for the service to cover the cost of maintaining/improving it. I doubt that with the smaller player base today that situation would be any different, likely it would be even worse.

Census was going to be the way that the game allowed third party sites to carry accurate information about EverQuest but it was cancelled before its completion.

Magelo or Zam's character sheet offerings are all that's really out there and I don't see that changing.
  13. RPoo Augur

Getting rid of the /paperdoll command that was associated with eqplayers took it too far. Could have left that be!
    Yinla likes this.
  14. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I understand this. However, when you are "selling" something, the "free" extras are part of the package that make it attractive.

You can sell a car without any spare tire at all, because you actually don't need it to drive away from the dealership (and if you use an auto assistance service to tow you to a garage or tire store, you never need one) and the customer can pick up one from a tire store. I still wouldn't recommend an auto company omitting it from their cars.

For example, I doubt these forums are "paying for themselves". And if Daybreak ever decides to get rid of them, I expect a number of customers will leave. It certainly would be a very large part of my considerations as to whether or not to remain a customer.
  15. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

I only made this thread as i saw another eqplayers thread was just suddenly locked and i was just curious why plus i was bored and the servers were locked. the only time i usually bump up a thread is usually a hunter mob question but thats usually after i spend 30+ hrs on a mob.

Andarriel