Headshot not working?

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by minuvenai, Aug 22, 2020.

1. minuvenai New Member

Greetings! I recently purchased headshot on my level 60 ranger (Mangler) and haven't been able to get it to work. I've been using archery exclusively for about 4 hours and approximately 1300 arrows (per my quiver refill rate). I've hunted gargoyles, slarghilugs, giants in Kael, gnolls in Blackburrow, and Hadden. No headshots. Does this AA no longer work?
  2. GNOME_POWER Augur

Worked for me on a live server. But, the rate is low.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

It works but iirc it is kinda slow on the early levels. I remember I was very disappointed when I first got it but think it was around level 70 ish that it really started making an impact and it was shocking to see that much damage done in one shot!

Did you also get your Endless Quiver at level 59? this will help a lot with not having to keep making arrows. Just pop one arrow in your ammo slot and it keeps using it over and over - no need to make more arrows all the time. The best arrow for that is Ancient Arrow but not sure if that is available on your server yet.

If you go to the bottom of this page I linked there is a nice list of what mobs work the best with headshot. Basically about one level less of the rank of Headshot you have purchased. So you should be looking at level 59 humanoid mobs and according to this chart since you only have one level your spots would be
    01 The Scarlet Desert Luclin all humanoid type mobs (top of the plateau is a great spot)
    01 Dulak's Harbor Ykesha most humanoid type mobs

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/eq:headshot
    Lilybeme likes this.
  4. Madeni Elder

Greetings,

What Arrows are you using? make sure to use Arrows tagged as "magic" or they will have little or no effect on the mobs. Also Endless Quiver is a level 59 AA and will save you tons on Arrows, one in the Ammo slot and one in Quiver, aside from special ones like class 3 for certain higher level Ranger spells. that's all you will need to use.

Good luck
  5. minuvenai New Member

I'm using summoned arrows, so I'm not worried about whether or not a mob will have an effect, nor am I worried about how many arrows I'm using.

I'm worried that I spent 4 AA on a bugged ability that does not work. If the ability works, it also advertises that it has a "10%" bonus. 10% of 0 is still 0, yes? It's extremely misleading at best.

Also, thank you for this chart:

The chart is out of date, however. It mentions as much in the article; modern headshot is described as working way past the level range of the two zones you suggested. Level 59 mobs include most of Droga, sections of PoN, Kael, etc.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

It is not bugged. Headshot is not that great at lower levels. The mob has to be humanoid and light blue. And you have 1 rank. Just like caster pets are not that great starting out but they get better.

The bottom chart is AA level based - so if you only have level 1 of headshot AA then those would be the two suggested zones. Or any other zone with light blue humanoid mobs. You only have 1 rank. Its not going to work in PON where you need Rank 7 of headshot AA - yes it does say it might work within 2 levels but your still no where near.

Once your higher rank and level you can own many zones with headshot. But there are other factors like your quiver haste, spells you are using, skills etc. As a level 110 Ranger I can rule almost any humanoid zone. But I have rank 31/34 and can headshot for 220,000 or more. I also have Weapon Mastery of the Scout at level 1. A Fleeting Quiver for haste and other factors. I would have all ranks but I have not purchased TOV yet.

This may help explain how to incorporate headshot and how to set it up further
    https://www.knightsofinfinity.org/mobile/forum/viewthread/m/34987556/id/25717440-ranger-hs-info

Edit: I didn't mention about the nerf a few years ago which made the proc rate completely dependent on hdex. So make sure you up that
  7. Monkman Augur

Headshot works, but you need 400 hdex for it to start proccing reliably.. that threshold is not easily obtained until 75/80+ it may be as high as 85
    minuvenai and CatsPaws like this.
  8. minuvenai New Member

I'm on Mangler, we don't have Heroic Dexterity on items yet. This feels like the critical oversight.

Based on this discussion this issue seems specific to TLP servers. If Monkman is correct, then Headshot is purchasable prior to acquiring the Heroic Dexterity it is reliant upon, making it a nearly useless investment of AA until Secrets of Faydwer (I think?) is unlocked. I've dropped a couple hundred more arrows since I made this post and still haven't seen a single proc.

Are there remedies for TLP Rangers who want to use headshot? Can lower ranks not rely on Heroic Dexterity? It's a very important class ability for end game rangers, wherever the end game is set.
  9. haaaalp Augur

wut? mangler is in GoD... there's been heroic dex items since PoP, lul
    Duder and CatsPaws like this.
  10. Kiaro Augur

Lets open with, get to level cap and get some gear heh, HDex is mentioned because that boosts your proc/crit rate which is what triggers headshot, it has a VERY low chance (like slay undead, assassinate and Decap) to go off now.

It USED to go off fairly reliably, but was way too OP. So it was nerfed not long ago.