DEV can we please look in to Ancient Cyclops spawn rate

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Pharone, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Garmr Augur

2. Wengi Journeyman

Spawned AC twice in sro yesterday, its a gray con at 50, should be an easy solo for a warrior.
  3. Gremin Augur

Just do the time, and get your ring.
  4. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Of all the camps to complain about the spawn rate, ancient cyclops is a pretty hilarious one to choose. It spawns a LOT.
  5. Fluid Augur

So yesterday I decided to get Jboots for an alternate on Rizlona. Understand with multiple accounts which some users here disparage, I have a Druid and Ranger on one account who can both SoW, and a Shaman on the second account who can SoW and trade skills Alchemy so I never have a problem with run speed. I even have a Bard on one account mainly for lock picking but he can run other characters around at speed too. I more or less wanted Jboots for convenience with a dose of bits and giggles mixed in.

I do spend a lot of time on Seafury Isle, mostly from habit and leveling reasons. I also like to kill Gromit because I kill named and he drops all variations of giant toes needed for the Magician focus items. I don't use Seafury Isle for the Ancient Ring. As was mentioned in the first response<?> I go to SRo. Spent one EQ daylight there ~1 hour real time killing Desert Madmen and the other place holders. That night, 2-4 Sand Giants spawned and An Ancient Cyclops. Easy peasy and made a couple of hundred pp to boot.<sic>

So I go to SK and get the shadow rapier, then move to Rathe Mountains. People were going nuts, I think in expectation of the upcoming expansion release, killing everything in sight. I get a message from another player that notices me loitering in the area asking me if I was waiting on Hasten. I say yes and he explains he will lay off Hasten until I finish the quest and only ask that I kill him afterwords so the local spawn will continue i.e. a drake et al. He also tells me a number of people have already completed the quest while he was there. Took a while, but his group continued killing the place holders until Hasten spawned. I did the turn ins and got the Jboots on my Magician. I tow Hasten back to his camp and root him there so he can get the experience for the kill and thank him for his patience.

I think we get run speed AAs with the expansion that goes in Wed. Rizlona still is the way things should be in EQ. It is all about the quality of the players you share the world with. I'm still glad I spent the time getting the Jboots. It was a rewarding experience in and of itself.
    Rizlowned likes this.
  6. SoandsoForumUser Augur

Try 6 months from now.
  7. Wengi Journeyman

I was able to spawn the AC 4 times in Sro in the past day while camping other hunter named. It's incredibly easy if you follow the directions on Zam, unless your server has "warping necros" that also sit in Sro?
  8. Rizlowned Lorekeeper

That was me. Riz is actually like that. I've met a lot of nice people in rathe mountains the past month. Except for this one necromancer that wished colon cancer upon me :confused: But he literally plays the same race/class combo with the same name on every tlp so i don't really think that solo player is a good ambassador for us.
    Fluid likes this.
  9. Deathcomestoall Lorekeeper

You know what makes me mad about people some of the people farming AC..... They delete the item if no one buys them. I know a farmer that has deleted over 10 of them in a day.
  10. Weebles101 Journeyman

Sounds like business is booming.
  11. bloodbeard Elder

Code every no drop, no trade, item so that only those in the group/raid are able to loot said item. That will stop the LR sellers, decrease how many cheaters are spending time at these spawns and make the items more available to regular players. Might work?
    Karreck likes this.
  12. Kiaro Augur

For OW spawns it will just cause them to nuke the mob for 50% and then sell you a spot in their group to loot it while they keep it mezzed.
    bloodbeard likes this.
  13. bloodbeard Elder

I see your point. It would take more time and effort on their part, at least.
  14. Fluid Augur

Rizlona is just not that crowded. There are the couple of popular zones like Lower Guk and Unrest, but seldom is their more then a single pick or the need to use one.

Some people do pass through the zone, mostly people beating feet to get from parts unknown to Guk. There was a croc group or two, nothing serious or threatening. Pretty much had the zone to myself.

Yes, the Zam info is pretty good with the exception of the fixed spawn point. I was tracking and the PH would spawn anywhere from the Wizard Spires to the Dark Elf camp. If I didn't have tracking I would have missed a couple of Sand giants and the AC.

There just isn't a lot of monkey business going on Rizlona. Sheesh! My account is 20+ years old and I wouldn't want to lose it by screwing up. I'm sure some people are pushing the envelope a bit but one of my friends used to tell me "The nail that sticks its head up gets pounded back down!" Mostly people don't do anything to draw attention to themselves. There's a lot of old school Evercamp going on, just mostly legal AFAIK.
  15. Bullsnooze Augur

I thought I made this crystal in my original post. The problem is not being able to kill the Cyclops, its dealing enough damage before a Necromancer, Shaman, or Mage waltz/warps/skips over and easily gains kill credit via a game mechanic.

Consider the Ancient Cyclops any hot target.

Consider the 'lone warrior' any class not capable of gaining the kill credit within roughly 10 seconds of engaging the NPC. Think about it like this, there's a fundamental problem when the very first response to such an issue is, 'bring a Necro alt'.

The problem with this is that people will always try and find a work-a-round.

The only way to get rid of farmers is to increase the spawn chance of the mob and/or add the Ring to the loot tables of all cyclops. Increase supply, demand goes down, and farmers move on to find the next hot ticket item.
  16. Machen New Member

And then we will just have posts about increasing the spawn rate for GEBs and CGS, and devs are playing whack-a-mole.
  17. Bullsnooze Augur

Those items have their own problems, but are irrelevant to the discussion (in my opinion). While very similar concepts, it's another discussion to tackle the problems those 2 items bring. Either way, I corrected myself and took them out of my post.
  18. Machen New Member

So talking bigger picture then, the only way to fix the problem of farmers is to eliminate scarcity altogether. Which defeats the whole point of the game. If it takes time or effort to get something, someone is going to be willing to put in more time and effort and sell it to you. If it takes no time or effort to get anything at all, then you don't actually have a game.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  19. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

or Vaniki on normal servers this hunter is just to hard to get or least indent the hunter mob thanks. ancient wasnt that hard to spawn the hunter orc was harder for me actually.

Andarriel
  20. Bullsnooze Augur

Scarcity as an argument went out the window as soon as they brought dynamic instances and agent of changes to the TLP servers. Either way, the 'whole point of the game' is different between players.

My thoughts are as such, they should adjust rarity based off timeframe between expansions and server load. At this point in the game there's no need to keep things super rare and cause bottlenecks, headaches, and unnecessary disputes - especially when game mechanics give an unfair advantage. Moreover, farmers know exactly where these rare items are and utilize the flavor farm class to lock down spawns.

Let me also add, they are not putting in more time - they are just using a class that's best suited to farm said items because it all but guarantees the kill. I don't see farmers playing Rogues, Warriors, Rangers or Clerics etc.. They are playing Necromancer x2 lol.