Idea for you to poop on

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Evye, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Evye Augur

Reactive mob spawns

What if "camps" or areas in a zone, level up 1 time every time they respawn when your group kills them. The mobs would despawn l down to normal after you left the area or zone for a time period maybe an hour.

This would make it hard for people to not lock down camps for hours on end. It would also make afk botting harder.

Plus you could level in older zones after after a few cycles getting them up to decent exp.
    KermittheFroglok likes this.
  2. Lubianx Augur

Have fun camping nameds then when sometimes they don't spawn for hours.

I can just imagine if this was a thing during TBL for many group geared people
    Yinla likes this.
  3. Lisard Silly

applaud you for your idea. but there is a very large grief factor that this would lead to. your also setting up a perfect storm for more botting to happen by being in a lower level zone initially. botters bot for RMT and nothing else. Bot up Accounts to sell and Bot up areas for items to turn into kronos to turn into real world money.
  4. PhinigelKronoFarmer Journeyman

It would mostly just hurt the regular grouper trying to camp current things. A group geared tank won't be able to handle a TOFS named after a few powerups, and it isn't unreasonable to have to go through multiple name spawns to get an aug/item you want.
  5. Evye Augur

I like the ideas of groups shuffling around more myself.
    Camping one camp for hours on end sucks.
    You could easily make the name not level up if that an the issue.
    And it would be fun to see how far you could get.
    Maybe just one zone do it?

Eventually the botters would have to move that would be killed.
    They would have to move camps every 20 or cycles I bet.
    Basically everyone who afk camps would come back dead unless keeping a tight eye on it.
  6. KermittheFroglok Augur

I don't think the devs have the resources to code this and make it work, but I think it's not a bad concept. I think what might be better is if they made a server with more shared spawn tables/place holders. So mobs we're use to camping at _, _, _ coordinates could pop up anywhere... Similarly one of two "ambush" mobs to force players to retreat or pretty much kill someone just running a bot script that's not anticipating it.
  7. Windance Augur

We've been there. Done that. Proved it sucked. All those heroic missions that scaled with level just ended up with people staying in the same zones doing the same missions over and over.

While its not quite the same dynamic it would have the same issues with scaling and you wouldn't get rid of the bots. They would just code them to move around to different spots. If you want to figure out how to get rid of bots, you either have to A) remove the reason to bot. B) make the penalty for boting out weigh the reward.
    code-zero and Shanarias like this.
  8. Evye Augur

Hero missions didnt scale while you were in them.
    Maybe just an outlast mission... see who can make it the furthest
  9. Evye Augur

Wouldnt it be fun to see what group could push it the furthest?
    Maybe just instance only
  10. Buster_Shruggs Augur

/poop

j/k... sounds a like a cool idea. I'd rather they just concentrate on putting out a good expansion that the majority of the player base enjoys; from raiders to casuals and all in-between!
  11. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Sounds like a job for Flatchy ;)
    Flatchy and Jhenna_BB like this.
  12. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

If a higher level player enters, the mobs change level.
    Buster_Shruggs and Yinla like this.
  13. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

[IMG]

Someone had to do it :)
  14. Flatchy Court Jester

I was just warming up my colon!
  15. Xerzist Augur

The issue that immediately comes to mind is people doing progression in that stupid $*#*$& cave trying to get snow dervishes that are on the smallest spawn chance to spawn.

Imagine that tunnel getting more difficult every rotation... :eek:

If the developers wanted to curb AFK killing they could very easily. We shouldn't all be punished for the few that do it. As for the idea, they could implement challenge trials just as easily for folks who want to test themselves. They could even make it server-wide with stats to see which group lasts the longest.

Phase 1: A wave of 5 mobs.
    Phase 2: A wave of 5 mobs, 2 casters.
    Phase 3: A wave of 3 really hard mobs. etc.

Final phase: Giant tentacle monster that grabs yer woo-man's and strikes the fear of god into you!
    Yinla likes this.
  16. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

DP should just come to an arrangement with commonly used 3rd party programs...make them legal in exchange for DP getting input on certain "features"....or incorporate the more popular features into the client.

For example the ability to take an alt account and turn it into a "merc". Or the ability to box multiple characters on a single computer where a hotkey could be designated to send a command to the other EQ windows i.e. F1 will activate hotbar key 1 that will tell all your toons to perform spell casts or abilities on whatever is bound to it. DP could charge for this feature as well...maybe offer an "enhanced" client for a fee or to gold members only.

The current situation is players who abide by the TOS are at a disadvantage to those who don't and who are not held accountable.
  17. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Bad idea! DBG just needs to find out whos botting and ban there isp.

Andarriel
  18. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

How would they do that? I think there was some sort of issue in detecting 3rd party software in the past...scanning memory codes on user computers I can't recall exactly what it was maybe there is a legal reason they can't detect? Not sure.

The simplest way would be to have a person at DP act as enforcement and do spot checks on random servers. I suspect they have a way of seeing the IP addresses of everyone connected so perhaps look for multiple characters with the same IP address then invisibly teleport and watch the characters? If you see a botted group it's really obvious as they are there for days on end or all the characters act in a repetitive scripted manner.

The question begs is...if they start banning botters how would this affect revenue? The population of EQ is sort of small-ish and not growing.
  19. Xerzist Augur

Revenue can't be an excuse to allow breaking the terms of agreement. Either they police the terms, or they allow it. Should be addressed, regardless.
  20. GoneFission Augur

A while back (long ago enough that I think the discussion was on the old boards), an idea was floated to spawn a sweeper type mob. A group was in the zone long enough or killed enough mobs, a higher level mob would come looking for them. Some of the devs seemed to enjoy the idea, but it never went anywhere.