AFK Checked and Suspended while in DZ

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by JohnnyBgood, Aug 13, 2020.

1. KermittheFroglok Augur

What this guy said but I'm not sure about the 6 hours, I haven't read it being that long. But my understanding is that it will work like other instances and stay open for a reasonable amount of time even if no one is there, kind of like a guild hall or any other instance...

My comment was in general for AFK play, but in this case I think you could quickly camp/rejoin. Will have to test later. If not, then just don't launch a DZ.

1) I'm not making policy or guidance up, please read the page you linked, pretty much verbatim what I said, get to the edge of the zone away from everything or camp.

If you need to be away from your PC for longer than a few seconds please move your character to an empty corner of the zone or log out completely.

Now let's read the OPs comment:

2. Tweakfour17 Augur

Demi plane will close eventually if no one is in it, even if you are logged in just in a different zone.
  3. Healiez Augur

This is false, dz’s close within 10-15 minutes of being unocupied... We lost a few goat dz’s waiting on selos.

Might want to be right before calling someone out.

Unless something has been changed in the past 6 months
  4. YourJobNotYourLife Elder

Well, maybe there's something zone specific? I had a Yxtta DZ open a couple weeks ago with seven people. Six dropped and the seventh was keeping it open. However, that screen was turned away from me and I didn't notice the wifi on that box dropped the connection. He was logged out for at least 45 minutes and was able to come back in. Maybe something with the previous people who were in it still being online? Shrug. I will confess I never started one, dropped it, and waited an entire six hours to see if it was there. I have left and came back within 5-10 minutes many times and, as I said, at least 45 minutes once.
  5. Healiez Augur

Theres a chance the toon stayed online for longer or something despite being disconnected. I have had my internet go down and 20 minutes later still had to kick the character from the world.

Maybe yxxta is just different.

I know one time in qvic I opened the zone, had my box in it to hold it open. Stepped outside for a trade, then when I went to zone back in it had closed, couldnt of been out for more then 10 minutes.
  6. Nuttmeg Augur

Did you have any 3rd party automation software running? Even if were doing little more than "watching" mobs walk around in the zone and updating "track" every second, looking for new pops... It was "playing the game" for you while you were afk.
  7. Gheed Is not reading your response

I am just confused as to how being AFK is suddenly against the EULA?

Why is the feature /afk in the game IF IT IS AGAINST THE EULA TO BE AFK LOL
    Adobebodii likes this.
  8. Siril New Member

o_O
  9. Gnothappening Augur

It isn't. Think of it as a warning to protect yourself when on Karendune. If you need to afk, camp, because someone is either gunning for you, or trying to fill a ticket quota.
    Adobebodii likes this.
  10. Adobebodii New Member

I wonder, what if you play a monk using feign death, or a dark elf and use the hide ability. In the event there's no possible way to get aggro, is it still illegal to AFK without "going to the corner of the zone"?
  11. Kylo Classic Augur

This is the problem with hiring someone to ban people. If they don't do their jobs and ban people, they may lose thier job.
    Gnothappening and Adobebodii like this.
  12. Arrk Augur

More likely people getting banned are doing something they should get banned for... like AFK clickers...
    sumnayin likes this.
  13. Moebius8 Lorekeeper

Lol that looks like a modern version of Sam the Mans raid box setup
  14. Adobebodii New Member

Exactly, war on the AFK bots is pretty wild atm, but exists in every MMO. It's much more likely here though that decent players are caught in the crossfire
  15. Bullsnooze Augur

You guys are reading too far into these very simple rules. Which seems to be very common as the general cheater base are always trying to find a loophole.

That all said, being AFK is NOT against the rules. Being AFK and having your character do anything is against the rules and it's likely every single person suspended did something (purposely or accidentally) and broke the rule. Moreover, we don't get any screenshots, video, or log evidence about their gameplay to support their defense. We only get what they tell us and a majority of these individuals have less than 5 posts on their accounts - basically nothing to support their credibility. One of these very posts had the guy literally provided the evidence to support his own suspension where he stated that 'his pet was doing the attacking for him while he was away.

tldr: take these threads with a grain of salt.
    Duder and code-zero like this.
  16. Adobebodii New Member

Thank you for clearing that up, that’s actually very helpful

The reason people may only have 5 posts on their account is because you can’t post on a suspended account, so you have to make a new one just to get on here. And yeah people make honest mistakes, and might have no idea what is happening so they state the whole story to learn from, but instead get attacked by all the white knights here. No one thinks to study the rules in any in depth manner until they get in trouble
  17. Machen New Member

While this is technically true, if you are sitting in an area of the dz that you have already cleared, and there is no possibility of repops or wanderers aggroing you under normal circumstances, and the GM summons a mob onto you from elsewhere in the zone, and it attacks you and your pet fights back, that is a bull**** reason for a suspension even if technically by the letter of the rule you are guilty.

This scenario is happening. It happened to a guildmate of mine this week. I don't know if it's what happened to the OP but I suspect it is based on his description.

Thankfully, it's a relatively easy thing to avoid by just /pet get lost every time you need to afk. But that's a stupid thing to have to do in a situation where under the normal rules of Everquest there should be no possibility of anything aggroing you.
    Genoane likes this.
  18. Arrk Augur

I, for one, am glad to see people getting suspended for stuff like this.

Maybe there will be less and less AFK mages and necros...
  19. Tweakfour17 Augur

You're glad to see a gm pop into a dz, see a guy afk in a spot with no mobs, have them summon a mob then ban him for afk game play? Because other pet classes farm things you want?
    Gnothappening likes this.
  20. JohnnyBgood Lorekeeper

Just to make it clear, no mob summon happened. I checked the logs after and my guys did nothing between the time I walked away and the time I was suspended. I had no pets at the time either.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.