[Suggestion] Prevent Mobs From Summoning At Point Blank Range

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Xerzist, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Xerzist Augur

And I sympathize with you on that, but I am referring to point-blank. i.e. if you were standing still on your character fighting 5 mobs in any era, but lets say ToV for now, you would in most situations become "ping-ponged between the mobs" which will end up displaying your back to the mobs, increasing damage taken.

The change in distance of summon to fix this would be minimal.
    Skuz likes this.
  2. Krushor Journeyman

I use the AA Grappling Strike to mitigate the summoning and ping ponging. I also wait for mobs to come to me when I pull multiple mobs. Generally mobs will end up together, save one or two mobs. The ones that are separate make for the fun ping pong. Keep moving to a mob or the group of mobs that are together, they will summon quickly but you get a short bit where they aren't summoning. Target the mob that is far away and Grappling strike it. If you have another ability like Warlords grasp use that on the other mobs that aren't grouped up. Before you know it you have them all together and that ping pong is gone and your issue is moot. Its part of tanking and it can be mitigated quite effectively.
  3. disclose Buffz, slowz, & healz.

Sokokor Matron and the named Sarnak in the same area do that. Seems kinda silly.
  4. Waitwhat Elder

Smash, you @£$$@£, you didn't even read the first post. Please don't log into the forum anymore!
  5. Froglok Augur

Yes -- nothing more annoying than being toe-to-toe with a MOB and suddenly you are summoned by that MOB. Why? And even worse, when this happens, you are now behind them, rather than face to face with them, forcing you to back up and/or spin around to be able to see the MOB and hit them again.
    Angahran and svann like this.
  6. Xerzist Augur

Is it possible to get a dev to comment on whether something like this is possible? I'm not a forum pro, but I'd like to know if it could be at the minimum discussed.
  7. svann Augur

I think this may be related to pathing error. The pathing server sometimes makes mistakes in calculating positions and distances. So for a brief time it thinks you are too far away to hit.
  8. Angahran Augur

Also, it's really annoying that some mobs summon you inside them!
    So, you get summoned, then have to move to be able to actually hit them and not have the 'you cannot see your target' message.

If they are going to summon they should summon you to a point in front of them, not inside them.
  9. Laronk Augur

what if, mobs couldn't summon if they've made a melee attack in the last 6 seconds?
  10. Sobmre Augur

are there any other games that have a mob summoning to player feature ?
  11. Thash Zoner

Fortunately, mobs only summon once every ten seconds! So get the ping pong over quickly and you have a few seconds to place them, if you live. It is a tactics check. Don't pull all the summoners at once.

Would have no issue with applying a minimum summon range.

I remember summoning being considered a cool feature by many people, so many years ago. Not "lazy devs". Tweak it maybe, but let's not get rid of it.
  12. FranktheBank Augur

Six.
    svann, Tucoh and Koryu like this.
  13. Xerzist Augur

Last night, I was doing some progression in Howling Stones and had another fine example of why the summon range needs changing. I had about 20 mobs on my SK due to a glitch/bug in the zone, we weren't doing anything, but they all came.

Within 30 seconds a horde is upon us, I'm surviving... but yet here comes ping-pong city. Even though I am legit feet away from all these mobs they are summoning me back and forth... showing my back to one another so they can get free hits in. Yeah, I died. But frankly, if I wasn't ping-ponged repeatedly I might of lived. It entirely negates our defense, and as to the poster above talked about "strategically pulling all the summoners" that really isn't the issue. I don't want to see summoning removed I want to see the range at which mobs summon increased just enough so that tanks aren't unrealistically ping-ponged negating our defenses.

If currently the range they will summon within is 100, I'd like it raised to 300. This change will also benefit healers who subsequently get aggro. Instead, in a normal grouping scenario, they won't immediately be summon bopped into the ground (negating their casting) if they are within adequate range of the tank.

This crap happens in raids as well. Yeah, it's no joke having mobs ping-pong you as a tank with mobs QUAD hitting for 70K with added strike-through. Tanking in raids is already a very stressful endeavor. There isn't room for a lot of error when mobs pump this kind of DPS. I'm not mad about the DPS. I enjoy a challenge. But combine this with the input lag and general lag we experience every raid night, abilities not firing until 10 seconds later, and then add ping-ponging... and you can see where the fun arrives.
  14. Bobokin Augur

You are correct, players don't appreciate being dictated how to play. As you say, it is a controlling mechanic that dictates how people should play the game.

There is far too much ability to summon from yard trash in Everquest.
  15. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Those are not mutually exclusive.
    Vumad likes this.
  16. Xerzist Augur

Since servers are about to go down, I'd like to bring this back to the forefront of attention...

When tanking multiple mobs, 3, 5, 10, there is no reason for you to be ping-pong summoned when they are all within a few feet of you. This exposes your back to mobs, gives the mobs unintended free hits and can potentially kill you. Any tank who plays this game on a regular basis understands this isn't a faint mechanic and does not improve the game at all, it is simply a consequence of an embedded mechanic. The range between a mob that summons and a player needs to be increased JUST enough so the ping-pong affect doesn't happen grievously.

I hope you agree!
  17. Sissruukk Rogue One

While I am not a tank, when I am farming lowbie zones for mats or something, it does get annoying to be bounced around. Not sure I understand why a grey-con mob can even summon me.
  18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I don't dispute mobs summoning from range as an anti-kite mechanic but when they summon from melee range it is absolutely pathetic & super freaking annoying with no benefit to playstyle or play mechanics, the fact it often messes up autofollow so your boxes run off is an added annoyonce on top of the old summon in melee range & mob then backstabs you shizz.
    Xerzist likes this.
  19. Fenthen aka Rath

Yes.
    Especially on mobs that con under your level.
    Andarriel likes this.
  20. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

The ping pong effect is pretty annoying espeically when there right there lol. there are some zones that like every mob seems to summon argin-hiz so annoying. summoning mobs should only be on rare mobs imo.

Andarriel
    Xerzist likes this.