How do Armor Ornaments Work?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Azurefrost, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Azurefrost Elder

So, I was looking at some of the armor ornament sets and found the language on the item a bit confusing. When inspecting the individual pieces they do not list any restrictions, other than the item slot number they go in. However, on the description of the set it mentions certain armor types. I am not sure what they are referencing. Does this mean if my class can use all 4 types of armor (Cloth, Leather, Chain, Plate) I can use any of the ornaments on any piece of gear? (ex: Wear Leather Ornament on a chain piece of armor) or do they need to match (Plate ornament with a plate armor)?

Also, If you do need to match the ornament type with the armor type I am not sure how this works for armor that appears as different types. For example, Rangers are not suppose to be able to wear plate. However, certain items give off a plate look when equipped. So, then I am not sure if the ornament slot would require a plate ornament or another armor typing to function.

As a ranger I wanted to use the Leather variant since it had the best design without the "sheen". The plate variant IMO makes the armor looks like plastic with a weird shine to it. I just wasn't sure if I could use the ornament on my armor. And even if I could if I could only equip certain pieces on items that were considered "leather" or had leather look to them. Any clarification before I bought these would be helpful. Thanks!
  2. Qbert Gallifreyan

There are some exceptions (mostly hats/head ornaments and assorted sets like the Ancient Ssra stuff), but basically if the ornament says it fits in plate or chain, you can't slot it in a leather or silk item. If you are unsure what your item is, you can look it up in a bunch of places.

For example, bards normally wear plate but this bard-only helm shows it is actually leather in appearance, so an ornament that fits in plate/chain wouldn't fit in this:

https://lucy.allakhazam.com/item.html?id=31517

Appearance: Leather
  3. Azurefrost Elder

Not sure how correct that is. Because I saw a ranger wearing the complete Ebon Chain set, but was wearing Dwarven Work Boots and Thorny Vine Legs. Thorny Vine looks like green plate, and DWB looks like chain. So at least in that situation looks like Chain ornament fit on something considered plate and chain appearance.

Also, saw Shaman with Ebon Chain over Totemic that look like Plate and GEBS which are cloth, but look like plate.

So, the rules are a bit confusing lol

Edit: If they really limit the ornaments to the appearance of the item. It makes them basically useless to me. As a Ranger items I wear can range from Leather, Chain, to Plate appearance depending on the item. The whole reason I would want the set would to be to look uniform and not odd with a Leather arms, Chain chest, Plate legs, etc.
  4. Qbert Gallifreyan

Ebon chain says it fits in plate or chain when you inspect it. Depending on which thorny vine legs you are talking about, one is chain and one is plate, so it works either way. Same with any of the four dwarven work boots variations (all chain). Same thing on the totemic if it is plate, then the plate or chain restriction is just fine. I have no idea what that last thing is you are talking about, but if it looks like plate it seems that fits the thing just fine also.

---------------

[IMG]

Ebon Hero's Forge Chain Legs Ornament

Item Information:
    Can only be used in armor with a plate or chain appearance. You can view the appearance of this ornament by ALT+Right Clicking on it. You can convert between the old and new versions by Right Clicking.
  5. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

I love the golden hero chain on my ranger with rightous sword ornament i look like a pally.

Andarriel
    Veteran_BetaTester likes this.
  6. Monkman Augur

The ornaments really aren’t suitable for TLP where you have lots of mix-matched combos of gear. Later on in the game where you finish sets each expansion that are actually the best pieces you can equip for those slots you will find the ornaments work a lot better. But yeah first 5-6 expansions of EQ there’s a lot of crossover gear that some choose over the class only items. This makes it difficult to use the Heroes Forge appropriately.
  7. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

There's 6 types of Ornaments if you include the 2 additional sets from the Heritage Crates. Chain, Plate, and Scalemail Ornaments will fit in any Chain or Plate type armor. As a Ranger these will be the most common armor types for you. Cloth, Leather, and Ringmail Ornaments will fit in any Cloth or Leather type armor.
  8. Azurefrost Elder

Yea, wish they gave more freedom on which ornaments you could use on items. The whole reason I was considering getting a set, was so that I could hide my hideous mis-matched armor that has some pieces of plate, chain, and leather appearance. All with various colorings. If I still need to match the armor type to the ornament that means I would need to purchase multiple sets and even then would look odd.
  9. Velisaris_MS Augur

Personally, I've never understood why there are restrictions on the ornaments.

The whole point of the ornamentions is to give your character a unique appearance...a cloth class being able to appear in plate would be pretty unique I'm thinking. I don't think it would hurt the game in the least if they removed the armor type restrictions from the ornaments.
  10. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

You can use the same ornaments in both the plate and chain pieces, the leather one's are the only one's that it wouldn't work in. This is mainly only a problem at the start of TLP's where there's a few leather type armors you can use, once you start getting class specific armor or even arch-type armor you won't have any leather pieces, they will all be chain for the most part.
  11. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

I remember a specific robe fit Cleric (I believe it was part of a Cleric epic drop find), and could use a cloth ornament in that. So the plate cleric was wearing a robe which could be change with ornaments to look like different robes. X Mas robe look was the ornament. So it depends on the piece of gear the ornament goes in.

Edit: https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=5507
    :p
  12. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

Yeah, there's a few All/All robes that you can use the cloth/robe Ornaments in. I have a few different one's I use to have the Robe graphics. The easiest one to get is probably Shade Silk Robe. I recently went and farmed some silk to make a few, think I got enough for probably 10 robes in 1 clear.

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=13525

Also, for cloth/leather players you can get a set of the Platinum Efreeti Armor to use chain/plate ornaments in. It take a little more work to swap out an entire armor set vs just the Chest for Robe look but it is a way for those classes to use the plate/chain ornaments.

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=65725
  13. Triconix Augur

Why would you willingly want to look like a pally?

(No offense there, Maed)
  14. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

i just look like a pally with the golden look. lots of rangers look real plain kinda sad.

Andarriel