Current Lazy Root Rotting?

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Venau, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Venau Augur

I prefer to kite but life has restricted the attention I can currently give the game.

I would like to do more root rotting.

My toon is currently 114 w/o any of the recent AA.

I've taken off my DD proc augs, removed my DD proc belt, and secondary Tome of Obelisk(sp?). But for some reason I still get an alarming rate of Pest Paral breaking.

I'm sure I'm missing something since I've been a way a bit. Any ideas? Or can we no longer keep multiples rooted?

Thx Guys!
  2. StiTch.ed Journeyman

To be honest I find roots increasingly redundant in EQ, because:

a) As you highlight, they are less reliable than snares and will burst if you DD them - with DDs built in at the start of many dots these days
    b) Basically everyone has a mount now, making it drastically easier to snare kite

As such I am not sure how root rotting saves time. If you are talking about rooting a mob and then expecting to dot it while you go do something else because you have "limited attention" I suspect you will run into some stern words about AFK farming from the mods.

I only really find roots to be useful for keeping a mob still to split pulls or keep an unruly mob stuck while the group kills the other, because you didn't bring a chanter ;)
    code-zero and Mozeltov like this.
  3. Venau Augur

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps my question wasn't clear. I'll try again.

When I pretty much left the game at the end of RoS expansion there were times when I would root rot multiple mobs without any real concern of Pest Paral breaking unless I was wearing something that included a DD proc.

As far as I can recall......I'm removing the same items/augs as I did back then but am experiencing vastly more Pest Paral breaks than when I last root rotted.

Has anyone experienced this also? Or am I simply forgetting to take an item/aug off? Is bane strike an issue?
  4. Venau Augur

My current "job" requires me to be constantly monitoring multiple other windows. I'm not interested in dotting up mobs then taking a nap:)
  5. StiTch.ed Journeyman

Well someone may be able to give you a more reliable root rot method for your class - although i don't see the class listed - but my personal answer to the "soft" side of this is...why would you want to play EQ while you are working, and working on several other screens at that? That doesn't sound like much fun to me and doesn't sound like the game's mechanics should be adjusted for it.

Unless times have changed, roots are simply going to be unreliable because whether you are giving the game 10% or 110% of your attention, it would be unengaging if you could plant one root on and reliably burn them down while you sip a whiskey. Their unreliability acts as a balancing point against snares and the simple fact that holding an enemy dead still is kinda powerful.
  6. Marton Augur

You said you left at the end of RoS. Maybe you know about ToV exp gains but just in case you don't: ToV tasks and missions give enormous amount of experience. I don't know if you can manage to squeeze a quest here and there while working but doing so would speed up your progress to lvl 115. Plus if you intend to do Rallos Zek tradeskill earring, you will need Champion of ToV and Paragon anyway.

Welcome back.
  7. Nidel New Member

I play on Phinigel so can't speak to ToV mobs but i think likely it's a dd proc you're missing. Banestrike is annoying and the trigger dd can break PP root. Could keep up a root on spell bar to combat the 60s? timer on it nuking. Maybe even start with spell root and have PP ready for fast/strong reroot.

Aside from a spell proc you're missing or all the breaks being Banestrike it could just be mob types and their resists. Tash or otherwise debuff to lower their magic resist.
  8. Moege Augur

9. Venau Augur

Wow Thank You! So RIP old school root rotting multiples seems likely.
  10. Moege Augur

It is not the braindead method it used to be but still possible.
  11. Zynt Augur

I have never had PP break early. Ever, ever, ever. I've never had banestrike break root but I'm sure it can. I would think, most likely, that you are using the AA for Mortifiers Unity and Flesh to Poison is causing the root breaks. Just click it off. Before I started doing Lesson in GD I was in FM root rotting one, pet on one, swarm pet on one, then rooting another because the recast is rather short when maxed. I can't stand to kite and I don't think I have since Murkgliders in NC honestly. I qualify the less mobs killed by saying, "I'm a Nec, I don't run from sh*t."

If it's not Unity then it could be swam pets if you're using those. There's a front end, very minimal damage, DD there as well as the pets themselves of course. DD potions are also an option if you're using those.
  12. Silu Elder

I would guess this is from Mortifier's Unity, which adds a DD proc buff in addition to lich and shield of restless ice, or it's from procs in your ToV earring or TBL evolver slot 18/19 augs.
  13. menown Augur

Banestrike was coded to not break roots. It must be another proc that you haven't found yet. I have to take off 2 DD procs in my epic, Complimentary Velium Infused Gem of Striking in range, Sacred Prayer Shawl of the Duke, Velium Empowered Gem of Freezing, 2x casting magic (type 18/19), 2x casting ice (type 18/19), (Invested) Tome of Obulus, click off Flesh to Poison/Venom, and check if any adps I have has a DD component, such as bard druid or enchanter buffs.
    Drogba likes this.
  14. shiftie Augur

That’s a lot of work to not just kite. What’s the advantage?
  15. Szilent Augur

killing in close spaces
  16. shiftie Augur

Seems pretty one off when pet tanking is viable. When I actively used my necro for such adventures. I only root rotted when I was being lazy and didn’t want to actively kite. Which is why I asked because removing that many inventory items =|= lazy. What’s the refresh on pp now?
  17. Moege Augur

Also saving your wrist, constantly running up and down takes a toll.
    Venau likes this.
  18. 7thNecro Elder

Tons of reasons to root instead of kite:
    • Pestilent paralysis lasts almost 50% longer than snare.
    • You can park them in a group and never worry about where the danger is.
    • Max efficiency for me is to do all my dots, THEN root, and I shouldn't have to target that mob again, allowing me to start another pull. What I consider a decent cycle is to have a third mob being pulled when the first is about to die. Better geared necros may have even more because less dots needed to kill = less time per mob casting.
    • Pet tanking IS viable, but it also splits your experience and you can only do one at a time.
    Someone mentioned, one of the most common for me to break root is using Mortificer's Unity but forgetting to click off the flesh to poison thing, which is a DD. Without missing a DD somewhere, I have NEVER had a pestilent break early. It casts quickly and refreshes fast enough that there is almost no disadvantage to rooting over kiting.
    You may not have it yet, but the crafted augs in ToV have a proc variety, but you have to be pretty far down the earring progression to get that one. Gamparse is really reliable for that, just kill single mobs till a root breaks, and go into your spells cast and figure it out in there.
  19. Ibudin Augur

Kizant proved a while back you can kite and do it very well. I haven't kited since early 2000's when you could snare and blast the mob with fear so it would run back and forth, that was fun. I'd rather root rot today if that is the game im gonna play that day - I prefer a group with other necros :p
  20. Forcallen Augur

When its possible kiting has always been the better option when the goal is xp.
    Venau likes this.