Can we get a regularly-scheduled all-server reboot?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Captain Video, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Captain Video Augur

Like once a month, halfway between the monthly patch dates. I remain convinced there are still memory leaks which affect server latency, and a reboot is the only simple way to make it better. I am torturing myself on both Coirnav and Test because it's near the end of the monthly cycle and the latency is so bad, and Vox is now a lot worse than it used to be pre-merge.
    Szilent likes this.
  2. Nadisia Augur

I don't play on Coirnav nor Test, but I can confirm for Vox, it's WAY worse since the merge, even outside of US prime time hours.

This morning (GTM+1 EU time) the NPC vendors around the small bank crafting area were lagging, sometimes 20+ sec to get their items list.

No need to say that the auto-crafting feature was failing more than usual
  3. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

I wish Bristlebane could be fixed by reboots. It's so plainly obvious there is bad hardware causing massive amounts of in game lag and yet it's never fixed.
    Lannin likes this.
  4. Dropfast Augur

I am all for this, for many reasons. All kinds of weird things happen in this game that only a server down / repop can fix. From mobs getting stuck, lost, or not repoping. Quests and events getting bugged out, people afk'ing for hours or days on end instead of just camping out. ( eating up limited resources) Memory leaks, Lag, automated botting, vendor lag, parcel lag, ect, ect. A quick reboot halfway between patches would be great.
    Lannin likes this.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

AB had a reboot at stupid O'clock this morning, I could live with that being done once or twice a month, just wish patches were at the same silly time. :D
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

You know, this is not a bad idea.

We once again, for the last 3 days we have someone's pet in the middle of the hallway out of the guild lobby. Every few months this bug pops into play which will leave a pet, a mount or something of that nature just hanging out in a doorway somewhere like the lobby or the banks even after the owner logs off. I think they got close by thinking there was some spell that was causing it but nothing ever went further cause there was a patch and the pet or whatever poofed.

So it would be a help in that direction. But I think JChan said on Loving's interview that its not that easy to take down the servers like that cause something can happen that's bad
  7. Zerker1231 Lorekeeper

They should do server reboots once a week im not sure why they don't.
  8. ForumBoss Augur

If there is data to show performance and stability improve, I am for this. It is better to have servers go down at a time people can plan for. Then people will know to log traders back in and so forth.
    Szilent, Yinla, Nennius and 1 other person like this.
  9. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I have been finding the Chat Server, as seems to happen often since it was first introduced over a decade ago, is lagging. I know SOE/Daybreak/Darkpaw have worked on it many many times. Unfortunately, I'm here to tell you that you haven't fixed it.

Also, these forums lag at times. And, no, it's not my internet connection, as every other website is fast, just the forums are not.
    Nadisia likes this.
  10. Coagagin Guild house cat

Engineering should have the data or be able to baseline and measure the trends for memory use, response time, etc or hiring competent engineers who will be listened to, if that's what it takes.

As far as rebooting time goes, find the least active population time in zones that are not the following: Guild hall(s), Guild Lobby and PoK as these zones do not affect real game play. Publish the time, give plenty of forewarning and keep it to a schedule. We understand nothing will make everyone happy but if a 20 year old memory leak means reduced stability (aka lag) then so be it.

Even young hamsters need a rest now and then.

- Coag
  11. Sobmre Augur

no dude, this isn't DayZ