Changes to the Necromancer Epic 2.0 in the August 2020 Update

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Aristo, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

The period right after the August patch would be the perfect time to sell Ice Encrusted 2HB INT-caster Staff if you got one.
  2. kizant Augur

If only the lead designer responsible for the change explained what they're doing and why in the news and announcements forum that they reserve for special/important occasions. I bet that would have made you happy.
  3. Szilent Augur

There has been years - a literal decade - of notice that the necromancer epic focus was problematic and had a huge fix due.
  4. Syylke_EMarr Augur

I agree. I'm just commenting that providing notice that "Hey, in a month or two, your current weapon will basically just be a 10 year old stat stick so you might want to pick up a replacement before then" would have made the change more palatable.
    Vumad and Evil.Iguana like this.
  5. Zerker1231 Lorekeeper

Let's not point out facts to these guys it will confuse them.
    scaethach, Lannin, Skuz and 1 other person like this.
  6. Cicelee Augur

Raid necromancers should have zero issues getting a raid ore to make a 2hb before Wednesday, either via chest or currency.

Heck maybe guilds can just gift a raid ore to the 1-4 raid necromancers in their guild so that they can make a 2hb.

And a grouper, all s/he has to do is Kael or Velk mission and a guaranteed ore drops to make a group 2hb. Talk to your group mates beforehand, I am sure they will let you get one. Especially since the majority have already gotten their TS ores by now.

I mean I get it, one weeks notice isn't that much time. But in the candy land loot pinata expansion that is TOV, it probably is enough for 90% or more of the necromancer player base...
    Vumad, scaethach, minimind and 3 others like this.
  7. Tappin Augur

Why not bring the Necro 2.0 in line with other epics by making it a short duration buff instead of a worn effect. Many of the other epics are still usefull, and now this one isn't.
    Emarra and minimind like this.
  8. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Probably not the change necros wanted but this band-aid has needed to be pulled for a long time.
    Vumad and Skuz like this.
  9. Szilent Augur

scaethach, Lannin, RPoo and 3 others like this.
  10. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

How about you quote all this "glee" you keep mentioning. Because, spoiler alert, there is none, you're just making things up and being a drama queen.

You have people going either:

1) You knew it was going to happen, been talked about for years

2) You'll still do more dps than anyone else, so what's the problem?

And this is somehow "glee"?

Go to test. Test it (so you can use the new revamped dot line too).

Answer the question:

"Do I do more dps now or before necro dots were revamped a couple months ago?"
    Skuz likes this.
  11. seber Augur

if cant deal nec nef go back to play OP class of week smile ....
  12. Szilent Augur

but that's still necro...
  13. Kase Augur

OR, bring all the other epics up to the level of the necros..... #newepic3.0
  14. Splittin New Member

You all got buffed more so than you needed on dot revamp, this will only bring you down a little bit on raids, to which you already beat everyone by a mile, and will still beat everyone by 3/4 of a mile. In groups, its hardly going to affect you because as you all say, mobs die too fast. Yet being top in dps by a massive margin isnt good enough, you now want to be top on group game. You also dont sacrifice anything to get that dps spot. Meanwhile zerkers have to micro manage to a ridiculous degree, balance hit points, required 2 other classes to be in group just to be at or near the top, which they already die alot on top of that. So its not about being unfair against you, its about taking away something that should have been taken away a long time ago and bring you back to cloud 8 instead of cloud 9, which everyone else is at 5 or lower.

Before you scream about berserkers being highest dps for awhile, you ignore the fact of what they go through to maintain that and guess what? They had to do it before they were top dps and they still have to do it while NOT being top dps again.

Every classes suffers nerfs, if you are riding the top of the totem pole by so far, you are going to take a hit. If you have played eq more than a couple years, you know how this is. No one is treating you unfairly. Being the top dps class and the top solo class, while giving up nothing in return, sorry you are not getting all championship belts.
    Funky, Lannin, RPoo and 1 other person like this.
  15. Froglok Augur

OK... I suppose this was long overdue and now Necro's can equip items with much better stats.

I do not play a Necro full time, but when I do, it really doesn't seem like these changes have overall increased DPS, but they have certainly increased Mana costs and concerns.

If anything, this change simply adds to the DPS reduction.

I know Necro's who quit EQ after the nerf a few years back (combining AA's that never should have been combined, only able to use one swarm, etc.). The nerf was significant.

Please consider adding an upgraded Epic-type effect (they degrade at higher and higher levels) to newer Necro weapons?

With the new no-stack spell changes... the DPS may have been ~x2, but the Mana cost was ~x4. Where is the balance?

My Necro used to never have any serious Mana issues. Now, even with ~200K mana, a Mount, Lich, Mind spells, etc. etc. -- now he is all most constantly OOM!

What this means is the so-called DPS is the same or better idea is false, imo.

This is because no stacking + no Mana means less spells to utilize and no mana to cast those spells in order to maintain and / or continue DPS.

On top of that, what about changes to revise up the Mana recovery methods Necro's have, in order to maintain pace with the quadrupled mana costs? Maybe this was inadvertently overlooked?

Could we maybe have some parity and reduce the quadrupled mana costs of the spells to be equivalent to the so-called DPS increase (~x2 instead of ~x4)?

How about an increase in the Mana from Lich (500 mana a tick is literally nothing).

Maybe increase Mana from Mind spells like Mind Erosion? 1.2K Mana per tick over 6 ticks does not even cover the Mana cost to cast even 1 of the altered spells with their quadrupled mana costs!

Maybe increase the Mana from the Death Bloom AA and / or it's duration?
  16. Splittin New Member

Why should you be compensated for something, when you already rule 2 of the most significant titles of the game and neither title will be lost or even drastically affected by its removal.
  17. menown Augur

Hi Splittin,

Do you play a caster at all? You may be astounded to know the disparity of difficulty in classes. Zerkers are not difficult to play, especially compared to a necro. But do go on about micro-managing, deaths, and hit point reducing abilities.

Necro DPS is too high right now. We can all agree with that.
  18. Kobra Augur

Anyone who played a necro knew this change was coming. I am kind of sad to lose my epic 2.5 but it is what it is. The bigger worry to me is the direction of this game and this class because its the only reason I play EQ.

As for the dps, you can argue necros do too much dps on raids, sure. But consider this. Necros only get to shine on raid bosses as they are the only mobs that allow us to ramp up. Also consider the effort to reward ratio.

If you have never played a necro at the high end you can't understand the effort involved to do well. Should necros have to do 10 times the effort to get the same results as other classes who can literally press 1 button in the majority of scenarios? No, I think we should get some reward out of the effort it takes to play a necro at a high level. Should it be as much as it is now? No, but if the mechanics allow it, necros should be excelling at raid boss fights, question the devs have to answer is how much. If you want to bring up solo ability, let me just say its worthless when the best exp and fun is had in a group. When I started my necro in March 99 there was no disclaimer saying this class is only good for solo. I did not pick this character for that reason.

I literally can't play any other class than a necro, other classes bore me to death. I am an admitted try hard as the kids say.

I was against this dot revamp for that reason. It dumbs down the class, the devs won't get it right, and all it would lead to is nerfs like this.

I am going to hold off on judging this change until the whole dot revamp is done and if the effort to reward ratio is off I will be done with this game.
  19. 666DPSweDeliver Augur

Oh please, there is not a single class in this game that is difficult to play. OMG I have to press a whole 10 buttons.
  20. menown Augur

And yet, every app I've seen within my 3 guilds is terrible and requires heavy coaching. They say they are awesome players and were the top fish in their small ponds they came from. I guess that is more a testiment to the quality of players who are attracted to a 20+ year old game.
    Venau, Lannin, Ibudin and 1 other person like this.