Let's discuss revenue generation and epic 2.0's

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Secondary Silver, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Whulfgar Augur

Calm down new fella.. literal start date the very date you created this thread.

And welcome to eq.
    Coagagin likes this.
  2. Fian Augur

So many on this thread lack empathy and are defending something that is broken. Yes, the quests are bugged after power scaling went well beyond what developers could expect. There are workarounds. Developers cannot keep all aspects of a 20 year old game shiny and new so they have to prioritize which aspects of the game to work on. Fixing epic quest bugs probably won't make the cut.

As for revenue generation, they make money in 2 major categories. Live servers where most are at max level, and nostalgia servers where people are playing content at the appropriate level. So fixing epic quests for level 115 to complete without bugs will not have a major impact on the profitability of the game.

Still, give a detailed description of the quest and the issue in the bug forum, and the devs might surprise you.
  3. code-zero Augur

The issue isn't that there are bugs. The OP's failure is due entirely to intended game mechanics which should be taken into consideration just as coming with a decent raid was was necessary when the quests were new.

This isn't a lack of empathy when the OP is given suggestions concerning possible strategies
  4. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

... what dat does mean

Cool thanks! Because one day I will need to do Ranger epic.
  5. HoodenShuklak Augur

Of all the reasons not to give DPG more money, you base it on Epic 2.0 quests from 2004?
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  6. CazRaX Elder

DS AAs do not activate without a spell DS on you, same with gear DS.
    Skuz likes this.
  7. Bigstomp Augur

Now I want to watch Tombstone and do not have time before bed.
    Coagagin and feeltheburn like this.
  8. Fian Augur

Mechanics were designed for the mob to became invuln/non-aggro after it reaches a set health percent. Developers never intended for players to be able to kill the mob outright. The fact that players now can is a bug. Pretending that it isn't means that developers 10+ years ago thought this was the appropriate way for the encounter to run.
  9. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Be more interested in epic 3.0's but thats just me.

Andarriel
    Coagagin likes this.
  10. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

There are many instances of mobs that can be killed now that weren't originally intended to be. Some NPC's like the Golem for Zerker Epic are meant to be killed but only after you've tested all the quest weapons on it, making it invuln/non-agro wouldn't work in that case. You still have to be very careful with DPS or you can easily one round it and not get the quest update.

I doubt the Dev's have time to go back and figure out all of the NPC's that you shouldn't be able to kill but now you can. Submit a bug report/post on the bug thread specific NPC's and what zone they're in and it might get changed eventually, until then there are several ways to approach these encounters.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  11. StiTch.ed Journeyman

Maybe if we're splatting stuff in seconds we should be looking at the 15k+ hp/mana alongside a small library of other stat boosts per armour piece?

My 2cp is that if we're gonna have power, give it to us in a unique or engaging way. The epic quests etc. are supposed to be iconic to the game and in general and our class.

I'd rather have a potent effect but still be squishy and have to play well, than Daybreak's effort in the game amounting to releasing x defiant or whatever set of copy/pasted gear with a few k more stats than the last time.

That's why I'm not gonna put money into the game at present. Regardless of present "balance" it's remarkably obvious that they're attempting to achieve that balance in the laziest way possible than develop engaging playstyles.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Stop playing MMO then.

The only way that you achieve meaningful increases in power that feel like actual potent upgrades is when you have appreciably grown stronger versus older content and the only way to meaningfully achieve that is through the infinite hamster wheel of levels/gear OR some form of skill power / learning system such as the ones EVE or Darkfall use(d).

EQ chose gear & level progression design from before it went into beta.
    Duder likes this.
  13. StiTch.ed Journeyman

I'm usually tactful as possible but...do you think before you type or just go for the first keys your fingers hit?

Your rant amounts to saying "for there to be an increase in power there needs to be an increase in power somewhere". Well yeah. Want me to call Sherlock and tell him I've found him a new sidekick?

I'm saying don't make that through a whitewash of copypasta'd gear. The epic pieces, with useful effects, is "gear OR some form of skill power".

Heads up, the start date on the forum seems to be unrelated to actual game account start date. Apparently I joined today, but this account has been used to play EQ since early 2000s
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

But that's what EQ has done since 1999, if you want something else you are not only in the wrong game but the wrong genre of game.

So you want new epics with every expansion? lmfao
    Duder and code-zero like this.
  15. StiTch.ed Journeyman

What I'd really like is a conversation with someone not clutching at straws. When someone resorts to mockery with every sentence, it's usually obvious ya both know they're in the wrong but they would rather be a tool than make a concession. Seeing as you are the same on every post I've seen you in, I'd say you have a lot of experience in fighting from the wrong corner. Don't get me wrong, some people call that "persistence" and I guess that's a good trait sometimes.

I'll still be here when you can manage to provide constructive counterpoints instead of resorting to a) insults and/or b) twisting what I say to provide a platform for those insults.
  16. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

How about offering up some tangible solutions instead of more pointless posturing & vacuous rhetoric?

Any bloody idiot can say "do something different" but they fall flat on their face when you ask them to frame in constructive terms what they actually want, amorphous, ethereal ideology & directionless ideas help nobody.

Put bones & flesh to your desire.
    Duder and Coagagin like this.
  17. code-zero Augur

I recall what a mess having HA's scale to level caused when they effectively blocked players from back filling achievements. We do not need something similar with Epic weapons. As it is there are a handful of Epics that are worth keeping bag on a character anyway and if we suddenly needed to field full raids in current gear just to get something that most people couldn't use anyway then no one will do them.
    Skuz likes this.