Compass change for next expansion

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by demoria7, Aug 11, 2020.

1. demoria7 Elder

Apologies if this was already suggested.

For the directional bar, underneath put two lines... 1st line "where you are" i.e. Plane of Knowledge and then on 2nd line loc i.e. 519.07, 25.60, 3.59 so you don't have to type /loc anymore. Even if all we had was the location numbers it would be an improvement.

Just a thought.
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Not sure I understand why you would put "where you are" as a reference point since if you use the zone guide you put in "where you are" and then "where you want to go" so you don't need /loc and it gives you the zones, the path and which other continents to go thru.

Also don't understand why use /loc? I only use /loc on older information from Alla before maps were so well detailed. Like the Bristlebane party machine anniversary quest with locations of where it paths. But other than that almost everything is marked on either Good's maps or Brewell's. And if its not you can even use the "search" bar that is in the map and type in the mobs name or whatever and it will mark the map of its location.

I follow the yellow brick road or use the search in the map. Red X are your friend:D

But its interesting to see how others utilize information in the game.
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Errr...why?

I can't remember ever needing to be reminded what zone I was in, and as for the exact loc why would I need to know that, most things as Catpaws said are on the maps.
  4. Coagagin Guild house cat

Reminding me of what plane I am at might be a bit too far but the /loc could be useful for those times when your supposed to be at a certain place at a certain time, once a day, yada, yada, yada.

Its a stretch.

- Coag
  5. svann Augur

The compass does need a graphics revamp imo. Ive tried modifying the text file to make it bigger, brighter, and more readable and it doesnt work. There are a few mods for it at eqinterface but those arent bigger either.
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

What we need is a few of the serious "expert" UI modders to get in touch with JChan (she's looking for someone like that to get in touch even).
    Andarriel, CrazyLarth and Yinla like this.
  7. CrazyLarth Augur

EQ UI Expert I think she said
  8. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Back in the day....

[IMG]

A compass and Scroll: Sense Heading meant something...:)

I remember manually navigating from West Freeport gates to East Commonlands tunnel to North Ro docks and into Iceclad Ocean.

Edit: Screenshot from Allakhazam.
    Zamiam and Andarriel like this.
  9. Nniki Augur

For reference: twitch.tv/videos/704467915?t=01h53m20s
    CrazyLarth likes this.
  10. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I'm totally not an expert but anyone who wants can look at my UI, which I happen to think is much better than the current one (it's mostly the old default one, whoever designed the current one was the worst UI designer I've ever seen).

Fanra's UI at EQ Interface
    Froglok likes this.
  11. Froglok Augur

What you you are in should be immediately obvious? So that is something we don't or should not need.

However, adding a /loc to the compass could be very useful. It would make it much easier to see if we are going the right direction when trying to find a /loc. We could just look at the compass and watch the numbers change and adjust according, rather than having to type /loc repeatedly for this purpose.

So yea, 100% for /loc indication added along the bottom of the compass window!
  12. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

Perhaps I'm reading the intent wrong, but OP wasn't talking about what zone they're in currently, but what loc they're at currently. Tho when moving, it would basically turn into the moving loc they also want. So while I think I understand the desire, I don't understand the reason for the desire.

That being said, I know that some compass mods (AYA has it) has the -, 0, + marks on the compass. Like... you take your loc, compare it to the one you need to be at, then rotate until you face the way on the compass that the marks match what it needs to do, eg. you're at 0,0 you need to be at 0,50. So you stand in place and turn until you're at 0,+ on the compass, then move forward.

However, having your *current* loc as a readout on the compass WOULD be quite welcome. Some quest updates and the like need a certain loc to work, or aren't marked on older maps. Knowing you're going in the right direction is one thing. Knowing you're going in the right direction and still having to click a loc key to find the right spot is still irritating as heck.
  13. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I think they should ditch the current UI-system completely, and make a new scale-able one. And then(and only THEN!) consider adding additional info to the new UI. :)
  14. Fian Augur

It does seem that this is something that could be accomplished by creating a hotkey. Not sure how many people would value this enhancement.
  15. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I actually experimented a bit with a /loc hotkey bound to the movement-keys, where the /loc output was directed to a single-line "chat-window" placed below the compass. That was on p99 though.

I can't remember why I dropped it again, I think I concluded that I didn't need it that much...:confused:
  16. Zamiam Augur

back in the day when you actually had to skill up sense heading and corpse runs was a thing .. having a /loc hotkey was a necessity if you knew you were going to die out in the woods somewhere you hit that /loc hotkey quick before death so you could find your corpse again :p or else track down a necro or bard.
    Jumbur and Fanra like this.
  17. Miss_Jackie Custom Title

Are you mixing up EQ with EQ2? Because my map doesn't have a search function.
    svann and Winnowyl like this.
  18. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

In the upper left of your map you should have a drop down box with an arrow that allows you to chose between maps like Goods, or Default or Brewell's etc. Do you see that? Where the red 3 is on the map below.

Now move about 1/4 of an inch to the right of that box and you don't see "Search" in yellow with another box to type something in? And then to the right of that empty box is the bar to click to "search" and "clear" and finally to the right the last box is zone guide. Where the red 4 is on the map below

Never played EQ 2 so pretty sure I am not confusing them.

[IMG]
    Yinla and Zamiam like this.
  19. Miss_Jackie Custom Title

Huh, interesting.. I forgot where I got my maps. I'll have to check out Brewell. Thanks.
  20. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Yinla likes this.