Wizard Epic Fix

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Galaras, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Tierdal Augur

Keep it as it is so its more true to classic and some Wiz just dont get it!
  2. Crixos Journeyman

Yeah, because punishing some classes more than others makes it more classic? Back then nobody could use AoCs to do their epics
  3. Galaras Lorekeeper

You obviously didn't read my original post. The current implementation is not "true to classic".
  4. Galaras Lorekeeper

Thinking deeper on precedents for a fix to epic, some guildies and I were discussing the changes made to ground spawns of the VP medallions due to griefing. Unfortunately, Wizards and Enchanters still find themselves in this situation with their current epic implementations.
  5. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Unlikely since that Dev no longer works at Darkpaw and was responsible for many of the little changes to TLP over the years.
    Galaras likes this.
  6. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

Not just Wizards and Enchanters, but SKs too. The wizard epic bottleneck is a simple fix: Do not allow a broken golem to despawn when handed the sprocket. I do see some info about a change to Marl Kastane for SK epic:
    From the August 15th 2018 Patch notes
    - Innoruuk's Curse - Made the following changes to Marl Kastane:
    - - When given the Note to Marl, Marl will no longer despawn and respawn as a new version of himself with fewer dialogues and an inability to receive the Note to Marl again.
    - - When given the Blood of Kyrenna, Marl will no longer despawn.
    - - Reduced the respawn time and added a respawn variance to Marl.
    - - Reduced the initial spawn delay of Marl.
    shintox and Galaras like this.
  7. Aegir Augur

When they did the QoL spawn change to Marl, the thread was exploding with requests for broken golem and Enchanter epic stuff.

Their reply was basically a threat, saying that if people keep on wanting more changes to 1.0 epics, they'll revert the QoL changes they've already done.
  8. Aneuren Tempered Steel

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that response was motivated more towards the tone of those requests.
  9. Xyphen Maximum Augur

A "fix"? Your "fix" is to turn Solomen into a Staff of the Four vending machine.

You're right, the current implementation isn't "true to classic". Lets take the BCS and Gnarled Staff off of AoCs and let you contest all the alts that want clicky legs or SoTEs. Last but not least, the wiz epic isn't crucial to progression and is literally replaced in a couple months when you get the next self-only mana regen rune.

You clearly never did the Wizard epic 19 years ago if you think things are "invariably worse" now. I 1000% prefer the way it is now than when it took weeks, if not months, to get each staff.
    Bullsnooze and Skuz like this.
  10. Galaras Lorekeeper

The point is simple. The QoL changes were made for the exact reasons you just stated. The reality is that those QoL are now having the exact opposite of their intended effect.
  11. Xyphen Maximum Augur

Oh yeah? What are those opposing intended effects?
  12. Healiez Augur

The fact that they keep putting in QoL changes for some epics and not others is the real issue here. Why remove some ridiculous bottlenecks but not others?

Granted I think the SK epic change was due to CS tickets from griefing but still... TBH I think 99% of the epic changes in recent years were due to this.

Verina tomb and vessel drozlin are still on insane respawns.
    Broken golem is a long respawn and doesnt spawn in DZ's.
    Wraith of the shissar doesnt spawn in DZ's and has a nasty respawn.
    I am sure I am forgetting some....

Changes to make epics "less difficult"
    Zordak in SolB the only cleric epic bottlekneck spawns in DZ's (pretty sure this was an unintended bonus with DZ's)
    Marl was significantly changed for SK's
    Not to mention all the changes made over the years to make certain aspects of epics less restrictive.

TBH every change they have made over the TLP's seems to be based entirely on lightening the CS load associated with them. Trigger mobs being assigned to the player that triggered them is another big one (I know this doesnt only apply to epics, but a lot of they crying over this WAS related to epics. Zordak in skyfire being ksed by someone who didnt spawn him was the biggest I have seen recently, coldain ring being the other)

Also dont feed people the "epics are only good for a small amount of time so who cares" crap. Its a milestone for many players, and tbh they need to make a sweep over most epics that are restrictive, not just the ones that are causing CS nightmares.

Unless it was changed, assuming AVERAGE respawn on vessel, also ASSUMING the same enchanter gets not only vessel AND verina but ALSO wraith, only 18 enchanter epics can be completed during kunark. IF THE SAME ENCHANTERS GET ALL 3
    wade_watts likes this.
  13. Accipiter Old Timer

I wonder that every time this subject comes up. I have no idea what they are thinking. Enchanter Epic 1 isn't even good past Kunark. Its clicky is too slow to be your go-to haste buff. But I digress...
  14. Healiez Augur

I mean, enchanter epic is honestly a stat stick. You dont use it for the haste unless every chanter is oom and you are rez zerging.

All the melee in the raid want either wonderous rapidity to get closer to haste cap or if they are blessed with a 41% haste item they want visions of grandeur because it gives attack.

Tanks might want epic click cause it gives AC, but Im not sure on this tbh.

This doesnt change the fact that epics are a milestone item for numerous players, and bottleknecking them behind insane respawns is lame.
    Talimat likes this.
  15. Tweakfour17 Augur

Epics are milestones regardless of how long they are "good" for, however if they "fixed" broken golem, how big of a milestone would the Wiz epic be? Just reading the walkthrough it would seem like you could bang it out in an night easily if you got the Phinny/VS drops, or in under an hour if you had already got those. At least all the other epics take time, Zordak is maybe no longer a bottle neck for Clerics, but they still need the pearls and Bergurgle and Grimlox, so still quite a bit of running around and camping/farming.

Chanter epic should have some of their bottlenecks eased though, at least increase spawn time to hours not days.
  16. Healiez Augur

Clearly you havent been in the 15 phinny kills and no staff camp before.

Its only a 20% drop, that is low enough to get completely boned by that mob.

Granted it only does require 3 items, but VS is still a 1/3ish drop chance and unless you are in the top guild on the server, you will only see him once a week. Over the course of kunark, thats 4 wizard staffs if you hit completely average and you only get him in DZ, which for a majority of guilds will be the case.

Broken golem will spawn on average a total of 45 times over the course of a TLP during kunark, and tbh that doesnt seem nearly as bad as getting screwed by bad phinny/VS RNG when I math it out....
    Talimat likes this.
  17. Galaras Lorekeeper

I've always been curious about why the Wizard epic seems to have gotten the shafted on it's design/implementation. I agree that for an "epic" the quest itself is relatively short/small.

That being said, the poor design/implementation is not a good argument for artificially throttling the Epic for wizards like is currently done. CT/Vox/Naggy/Sky, basically any of the raid mobs are easy to kill and yet we have AoC's because everyone wants to experience the content. AoC's artificially cheapen the kills on TLP's because now everyone can kill them and everyone has a CoF or AoN or whatever you're searching for. With the design and implementation of TLP's with AoC's to remove access/restrictions, epics should not be any different (the vast majority of epics already greatly benefit from AoC's).
    Talimat likes this.
  18. Healiez Augur

That is a really good point tbh.

In the era of "everyone should be able to experience the content" via AoC's its curious as to why epics werent considered.

I cant think of a single good argument against making epics more accessible similar to how raid content was. Epic's are just as big a part of kunark's history and allure as veeshans peak, maybe even moreso.
    Talimat and Galaras like this.
  19. Tweakfour17 Augur

Yeah Phinny sucks for all classes he has epic drops for. Cheap fish >(
    Talimat likes this.
  20. Healiez Augur

He loves to drop effing clicky rods over and over again......