Merge Ragefire into Coirnav when they meet

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Tweakfour17, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Tweakfour17 Augur

Depending on the unlock voting schedule Ragefire and Coirnav should be in Underfoot at the same time (April 2021). When this happens take advantage of the fact that 2 older and mature servers are passing in the night and merge them together. Drop truebox (drop it earlier if you can, see the Selo-Truebox thread), keep AoC and Coirnav's unlock schedule.

1. More players for each server to interact with.
    2. No truebox, bonus for Coirnav, keeps Ragefire the same
    3. Keep AoC, bonus for the Ragefire folks, keeps Coirnav the same
    4. Coirnav's unlock schedule - consistent 8/12 week unlocks, no more votes
    5. April 2021, well past the Jan 2021 the devs have indicated they are busy until, plenty of time to get things in placec.

Thoughts?
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Would be better than letting Coirnav continue to die a slow death from attrition due to just how quiet the server has become & give the folks there a bit larger community to interact with and the opportunities afforded by a busier bazaar, more groups, potential for recruitment/guild merges etc.

BUT you then have to take into account how Ragefire/Lockjaw players feel about losing the voting unlocks, I know some play there precisely because it has a slower unlock pace.

Just my 2cp
    code-zero, Yinla and Tweakfour17 like this.
  3. jeskola pheerie

From my perspective this plan is perfect, I love it. This turns the merged server into a further along Rizlona.

You will get some from Coirnav who don't want truebox removed though I would think (or at least one forum whiner) and I guess some still like voting (I didn't know that).
    Tweakfour17 and Skuz like this.
  4. HoodenShuklak Augur

there's almost nothing to lose it seems.

Nothing is worse for eq than no community.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  5. Balderdash Lorekeeper

This benefits the Coirnav folks. It does not benefit those of us that play on Ragefire for the longer unlocks. If it was the Ragefire unlock schedule that was kept, I wouldn’t see a problem. I didn’t reroll on on Phinny, Coirnav, Rizlona etc purely due to the unlocks which are way too short my play style. Plus we are going to be hitting more and more expansions that were designed for a year to begin with, not 2 months.
    Kattria Minx and Yinla like this.
  6. Balderdash Lorekeeper

People started up on Coirnav because they wanted truebox and they wanted faster unlocks. They got what they deserve, an empty server. Don’t try and drag Ragefire down with that sinking ship.
    Kattria Minx likes this.
  7. Nolrog Augur

This is a good plan. Makes sense and is well early enough that it is possible to be addressed.

You have some people who complain about everything. That same forum whiner would complain that truebox wasn't removed as they would if it was. And they will complain about merging the servers right after complaining about nothing being done to address the lack of people. I have come to the conclusion that some people just like to complain.
    jeskola and Tweakfour17 like this.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

If a significant number of Ragefire/Lockjaw object to changing their rule-set the unlock schedule seems the most tricky one then merging Coirnav with another more advanced TLP or a live server are the other options, and I am sure the communities there would welcome an influx of players from elsewhere.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  9. Krezzy Augur

Hi. One of the remaining Coirnav players, here. Let me first say that a merge like this is something I'm indifferent to.

I started on Coirnav when nearly every single friend of mine went to the server from Agnarr. Coirnav was the newest server at the time, and despite the reduced XP rate - realistically, you go where you can have fun. The truebox and faster unlocks really didn't factor in, nor did they to anyone I play with.

I have to ask, though. How is it we "got what [we] deserve?" Seriously, where does a mindset like this even come from? At the end of the day, I just want to relax and enjoy a vintage computer game with my friends, same as you.
    Celestian, Skuz and Tweakfour17 like this.
  10. Tweakfour17 Augur

It benefits the Ragefire folks as well with AoC for older content and more people to play with. The unlocks for Ragefire are a bit confusing to me but it seems like its 90 days after the expansion is beaten (assuming the vote passes?). I don't know how fast you guys have been beating your expansions but most other servers seem to be beating them pretty quick, some on day 1 so it doesn't sound like they unlock times are much longer anymore after they swapped from 180days to 90?

I highly highly doubt anyone started on Coirnav because it was Truebox, it was just the newest server and thats where all the people were.

Sadly accurate.

Perhaps they could vote on which unlock schedule to use, if Ragefire has more players and they all love the vote unlocks better than predictable timely unlocks then so be it. I'm just tossing ideas out for DBG to help consolidate some of the longer term players w/o having someone get screwed out of expacs (ie: if they merged Phinny and Coirnav or Coirnav and Mangler for example, someone would be missing out on expacs) Like Hooden said, nothing worse for eq than no community.
    Skuz likes this.
  11. Kakashi77 Elder

This is certainly another option (merges) to help legacy TLP servers survive the attrition new servers cause. If you keep pumping out new servers every year you need a plan to help older TLPs survive the long haul. But I'm not holding my breath for a response from DPG. Even with the truebox discussion there have been no comment from them.

Community concerns and feedback for a game like this is key to it's survival. But sadly this issue is not taken into any consideration that the community knows has a chance for change or improvement. So I've lost all hope and adjusted my expectations to none.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  12. jeskola pheerie

They have this thing about changing a server's ruleset once released. It's probably all Absor stubbornness or something.
  13. Captain Video Augur

There are a lot of happy players on Ragefire who see no reason to merge servers anytime soon. There are a lot of happy players on Coirnav (including me), also including some new blood who have come in at TSS, who see no reason to merge servers anytime soon. A couple of people post about server merges on the forum, and it is automatically assumed they speak for the entire community? I don't think so. If this idea was even remotely considered by DPG, it would have to be put to a player vote on both servers, and if either server voted it down, then it wouldn't happen. As a verifiably active player on Coirnav, I'd vote no.

If you're on Ragefire and don't like its ruleset, you can re-roll on Coirnav any time you please. TSS is the perfect expansion to fast track a new toon solo from 1-75. Gear up in the tutorial zone, and then just follow the Hero's Journey. If you get to level cap and can't find a guild spot, then something else is wrong.
    Yinla likes this.
  14. Machen New Member

It would be a shame to change Ragefire's unlock schedule just when it hits the expansions where it makes the most sense. Expansions like Underfoot should not be crammed into two months.
    Kattria Minx and Yinla like this.
  15. Accipiter Old Timer

They really don't. New TLPs are worth a lot of money. Fading TLPs are not. I don't expect any change to the current strategy.
  16. Tweakfour17 Augur

I see what you're saying and I'm in no way trying to imply I speak for the entire community, but you also can't argue that the older a tlp gets, the smaller its population gets. Maybe a couple people roll there new but that is far out wigjed by the ones who leave. This was merely a suggestion to have more players on a single server in a way that somewhat made sense since they would be in the same era.

As far as a vote on a merge would go, while it'd be nice I don't recall them voting on any of the other merges, including the ones this year. DPG gonna do what they want (in this case probably nothing)
  17. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

This is true from a completely "numbers only" financial basis, but I am pretty sure the Dev team & the company are not completely "Gordon Gecko" about the service they provide & some decisions are made with a community-minded perspective rather than purely financial ones where they can, or at least I would hope so & have seen plenty of evidence to support that.

So I think measures that help the servers even late era TLP are not going to stop happening when they have been happening plenty, the recent disappointment with asked for changes to EoK not happening in time & maybe getting reviewed only in January are resource constraint related amid the end of year push to complete new expansion work.

So I think it's a case of when not if that help for older TLP will rematerialise.

And "fading TLP" are still worth money I'm sure.
  18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I definitely see the merits, the unlock schedule change may be too big a pill to swallow for Ragefire dwellers, so I think Coirnav folks also need a "plan B"
  19. Tweakfour17 Augur

Whats the avg unlock time for Ragefire nowadays? 2 weeks +/- depending no the vote period + 90 days + however long to beat the expac (assumine a yes vote), so like 4 months? If its that big of a hill to die on and the late expacs have that much to do just make the unlock a steady 4 months for all then. I dunno.
    Wyre Wintermute likes this.
  20. Eldrian Augur

I am a ragefire player, I do not want this. Instead I would offer an alternative solution. Once a server has been deemed inactive/non progressive then for 30 days offer a free server transfer to the closest server in progression and whats left after that merge into the Vox dumping ground.