[Feature] 'Find' and housing improvement.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Angahran, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Angahran Augur

1. Allow 'find' to find items in houses you are co-owner of.
    2. Allow 'grabbing' from houses, maybe require purchase of a 'postmaster' to be placed in a plot that will mail any 'grabbed' items to you, and also acts as a parcel vendor ?
    Gyurika Godofwar and Funky like this.
  2. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Allow us to search by lore-group too. :)
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  3. Funky Augur

when i try to find items that are in someone else's house, that i placed there... have it show up in the find item window!
  4. Ngreth Thergn Developer

I'm not saying "Never" but we stop the searches where we do because of the "intensity" of the search. The amount of processing required to search additional locations is greater than we want at this time.

It's possible, but not a promise, that if we make further server software improvements we can add additional search functionality, but at this time, we will not add more. (I am also not an engineer and there may be additional reasons I do not know)
  5. Angahran Augur

Thanks for that :)

Any thoughts about us getting a 'postmaster', maybe just for our own houses ?
    Being able to find is good, but then we have to go run to the property to get the item.
    Skuz likes this.
  6. Ngreth Thergn Developer

It's an interesting idea, but no particular thoughts, other than "interesting idea", at this time.
    Skuz likes this.
  7. Angahran Augur

I'll take "interesting idea" P

One other question, is there any way to let us 'inspect' items that are stored in houses ?
    Currently, if you 'find' something that is in a house and try to inspect it, it tells you to go to the house, which is a bit of a PITA if you simply want to see the stats, or link a collection item to someone else for example.
  8. Szilent Augur

I definitely don't want to incur additional lag for searching others' belongings, especially since being made a co-owner isn't something I have input on. Or, possibly, that I can even opt-out of?

What I would like is for Tradable items to become owned by the property's owner. Placing something (which already requires their permission) tradable should Trade it to them.
  9. Nadisia Augur

Quiet understandable, DB requests (either SQL or NoSQL) do have a cost in term of performance .

As a side note, related to ways to find stuff, but absolutely not server side : some people (I have no idea of the proportion) use the different outputfiles (mainly inventory and realestate) to perform search functions computer-side.

As this /outputfile command produces .txt files, it's super easy to parse.

The lines follow this schema :
    Code:
    Location    Name    ID    Count    Slots
    for the inventory, and for the Real Estate :
    Code:
    RealEstateLocation    RealEstateName    ItemName    ItemOwner    Status    ID    Count
    For the collectibles (Yeah, again hehe, this is my personal nightmare :p ), they are also linked to specific achievements.

My question is : can we get the achievement name added in the Name (or ItemName) section, in between brackets, braces, curly braces, whatever, or even a single pipe (personal preferences goes to brackets or a single pipe, but it doesn't matter much), like this :
    Code:
    Plot    Legion of Malice Village, 102 Brimming Heights, Three Room House    Crystal Spider's Fur [Eight Legged Bits (Velketor's Labyrinth)]    Sherys    Stored    153676    2
    or with a pipe :
    Code:
    Plot    Legion of Malice Village, 102 Brimming Heights, Three Room House    Crystal Spider's Fur | Eight Legged Bits (Velketor's Labyrinth)    Sherys    Stored    153676    2
    Same for the inventory btw :
    Code:
    Bank4-Slot6    Crystal Spider's Fur [Eight Legged Bits (Velketor's Labyrinth)]    153676    2    6
    or
    Bank4-Slot6    Crystal Spider's Fur | Eight Legged Bits (Velketor's Labyrinth)    153676    2    6
    That way, it'd be super easy to parse multiple files in a row, and find where are the needles in the haystacks, with almost any basic or complex language, for a better collection management (which is, sorry to say, a pretty big mess atm :D)

Because, unlike the ingame Find Item Window, you don't need to log each character, one by one.
    You can parse all the .txt files in bulk.

I use my own program, but some programs like Fanra's Everquest Inventory Report (sorry, this is the only one I know hehe, because most of the time, I code my own stuff) could use this little improvement with ease.
  10. Ngreth Thergn Developer

While I'm sure it's feasible, it's not a current data point that items have to make it to outputfile. The link that is the advanced lore is manually created by hand in a separate DB table, and I'm not sure outputfile has the "ability" to "parse" it.
    The link between the item and the achievements goes through... 4 tables (? sounds right off the top of my head, but would take some research to be sure... and since this is a talking point, going to save time and not do that... it's a BUNCH of tables.), where the origin is more the achievements than the item. Sure "reverse" lookup is a thing, just saying! The issue is it's "many to many" so, one item could be used in multiple achievements, and vise versa. While it's unlikely we would make anything but a one to one relationship in these cases, it's a possibility, and that becomes messy.
  11. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Totally understandable. Would it help if the user had to "assist" in the process? For instance, the only places I store items are in the houses of a small list of chars. Could this process be coded to depend on the user maintaining a list of the houses to search? Or, just a list of the addresses to search? Then, the code on your end doesn't have to just start searching EVERYTHING. And, perhaps, put a CPU-cycle limiter on it, so if I have a list of 100 addresses to search, I'm warned up front, hey, this will take 5 minutes, or something?

Just some thoughts to allow the feature without slamming the servers.
    Marton likes this.
  12. Elyssanda Bardbrain

There is already a quest in game for a parcel vendor you can have at your home.. maybe the devs can look at adding this functionality to him since he would already be placed on your property, that way they at least don't have to completely reinvent the wheel on this one, just add a horn and lights..
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  13. Funky Augur

is there any chance of increasing the amount of properties you can own per character? or maybe adding a significant amount of storage space per house/crate?

i mean i know i could just organize the houses i have better, but being this many expansions in, saving tradeskill materials in houses is the way to go and you just can't do it with only 3. i have about 15 myself and i know a few people that own a house on every plot of a neighborhood plus some.

with that, if you dont remember exactly where you put something you are looking for, you could spend forever looking.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  14. Greymantle Augur

How about a seperate search tool, restricted to housing items only?
  15. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Some things which help... try to keep similar items together (not just per house, but, for instance, all TS items in adjacent houses, etc). The other one: Be a consistent user of /outputfile realestate. For each char who owns houses, run this command every time they log out. Then a quick text search of those files will find what you're looking for. And, yes, things can get changed and moved, but realistically, once something gets stored in a house, it rarely moves.

Just following these two practices, I rarely have to spend more than a few seconds to find what I want/need.
  16. Angahran Augur

there is ?
  17. Nniki Augur

18. Nadisia Augur

Yes, Hyredel Swiftrider is a parcel NPC, and can be placed in your home, but sadly, only inside the house, not on the yard.

It would be cool to be able to place him outside.
  19. Angahran Augur

Yeah, outside would be much better.
  20. Shanarias Augur

What is this quest for the Parcel Vendor for a house? I'm all in on this one. AAAnd, I found it. Thanks.
    Elyssanda likes this.