The EverQuest Show / Vinyl

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Veteran_BetaTester, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Herodotus Augur

Unfair is such a popular word nowadays. In any case, chances are pretty good some will pop up on the secondary market.
  2. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

I agree.
  3. Nniki Augur

It was posted the same day in the News and Announcements section after the episode went live. Here is the article on EverQuest website.

Announcements:

July 21, 2020
    • 11:56 - Twitter (Retweeted by EverQuest)
    • 12:00 - YouTube (The EverQuest Show)
    • 12:00 - Discord (EverQuest Official)
      See announcements and news channel.
    • 12:04 - Twitter
    • 12:35 - Twitter (Retweeted by EverQuest)
    • 12:52 - Forum
      "The EverQuest Show partners with EQ for a Special Announcement!"
    July 22, 2020
    • 05:35 - Twitter
      Nagafen and Field of Bone sold out.
    • 15:53 - Forum
    • 15:54 - Twitter
    Veteran_BetaTester likes this.
  4. Captain Video Augur

There was an in-game announcement. It was on the launcher window.
  5. Nniki Augur

I don't think most people would consider news in the launcher to be an in-game announcement. The launcher does list the articles found on the website, but technically, the launcher is a separate application from the game client.

I assume he's referring to something like a broadcast, a system message, or an updated message of the day while logged into the world (unless you were saying it was announced there as well as on the launcher).
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  6. Captain Video Augur

Some people won't be satisfied unless a DPG employee flies out to their city of residence, knocks on their front door, gets them out of bed, and says "Hey, you need to buy this now." And when they do that, these same people will just turn around say "You got me out of bed for that?"
  7. Tasi New Member

They used to do the same thing when Landmark was around. They would announce stuff everyplace EXCEPT the game or the forums even. You had to have multiple social media accounts just to learn about game related stuff. It was so bad the community begged them to stop, they never did.
  8. Tasi New Member

The launcher did not have an announcement for the sale, it DID have an announcement that something was coming and to watch the youtube video for more information. That is NOT and announcement.
  9. Zamiam Augur

and there are some (myself included) that bypass the launcher .. it would of been nice to have it appear in EQ as a system wide message or as a pop up announcement like they do when your F2P and you get that popup all the time or when "SPECIAL EVENTS" are taking place like HH,DDD,GGG,Anniversary etc..
  10. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

I never saw it.
  11. Razorfall Augur

You can always get your copy on ebay.

For 200-300 bucks :mad:
  12. Sikkun Augur

Looks more like it was designed to drive traffic to someone’s YouTube channel more than to sell a mostly arbitrarily limited release. Most the announcements are “go watch this video to find out our announcement”.

If your goal was to sell more records, you’d be advertising them more than telling people to watch something else to find out your selling something.
  13. Nniki Augur

Both the shirts (1000) and these records (600) were limited launches.
    In the Janaury 2020 newsletter, Holly stated they'd keep exploring product ideas if the shirts sold well:

It was a roundabout way of announcing the records, but it may have just been his idea to have them made (idk if it had anything to do with it, but it looks like Pirates Press has a minimum order requirement of 250 units). Not sure about its authenticity, but I came across this post on discogs.com (posted May 19):
    Looks like the records were submitted on the site back in January by a user named Iksar (Fading is that you? :p).

I came across that when I was looking to see if there were any early mentions of the records' availability anywhere because I was suspicious of the guy with the early eBay listing that I linked earlier in the thread... but at this point, I'm thinking he probably just had an old listing he edited after seeing them go up via something like blipblot.net on Twitter and just sells them before they even arrive in his possession.
  14. Sikkun Augur

Both of which are an arbitrary limitation. There is no shortage of t-shirts, they can order way more than 1k and pirate press will print as many records as they want to order. But for the vinyl almost every announcement is “we partnered with someone, watch their video to find out about it”. That’s an advertisement for the YouTube channel way more than it is for the vinyl themselves.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Coagagin like this.
  15. Benito EQ player since 2001.

In their defense:

1. No one wants to sit on inventory.
    A. They could end up sitting on surplus that they can't get rid of. (Limited edition items forces people to order quicker because of the threat of scarcity).
    B. They have to pay people and infrastructure over a long period to process the orders. (Dreamweaver actually stated that they wanted to end EQ2 t-shirt sales at a certain date).
    C. If it were made-to-order, people would complain about the lead time/delays. Daybreak would also have to pay the costs of having the supply chain open.

2. Fading/Kitt's EverQuest Show is a high quality production that objectively documents EQ's history. He says it takes at least 100 hours of work to produce each episode. He has also said he does not receive compensation for his work. In my opinion, he has earned the right to have a few promotions linked to his channel. *Additionally, it may have been Fading's idea to press the vinyls.
    Nniki likes this.
  16. Nniki Augur

Yeah, but as quoted above, they're exploring product ideas. They have to pick some sort of arbitrary number when they put in their order; what do you expect? lol. Would more have been nice? Sure, I don't disagree. Plus, both of these were launched as 20th anniversary products; it only makes sense to limit them to some degree.

If it's true that it was his idea and that he designed them and teamed up with them to make it happen, I think it's fair he gets some advertisement out of it. I was going to watch the episode regardless, but I can certainly see people wanting the announcement to be a bit more direct.

Including at least some mention of "merch" in the forum and discord announcements (Twitter did) to key people in wouldn't have hurt. Although, it honestly only took 20 seconds into the episode to see what it was about and that there was a link in the description to buy them.
  17. Sikkun Augur

Personally I’d go with take pre orders then round up to have some additional stock. Vinyl fans are used to stupid long delays...new Taylor Swift album is only shipping in 20 weeks! Lol. Vinyl being a bigger deal than the t-shirts, getting another batch of t-shirts isn’t going to be a huge delay for anyone.
  18. Stany New Member

This reminds me of EQ back in the day. It’s like we are now waiting for that named to spawn and drop a Vinyl record. Want one so bad, hope they do pre orders or come out with more somehow!
  19. Fenthen aka Rath

20. Flatchy Court Jester

Heh I have the shaman troll still in box in my puter room hanging. You have a nice collection there for sure!
    Fenthen likes this.