Guy 54 boxing on Mangler selling raid loot openly, isnt this a truebox server?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by GeneticsBoss, Jul 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Video Augur

OpenAI (one of Elon Musk's companies) has software with an API which is ostensibly in closed beta. The mobile/browser game "AI Dungeon" is using the natural-language component of OpenAI's software to generate some downright freaky results. DeepMind, a subsidiary of Google, has been doing active research in this area for several years; they are currently most noted for the AlphaZero machine-learrning chess engine and the AlphaGo engine. The open-source Leela engines for chess and Go are spinoffs of this code. Rumors circulate that the Alpha team have successfully gotten their codebase to play some Atari and NES video games solely by watching video to learn the mechanics.

My speculation is based on a key assumption that current research results have moved past what has been publicly disclosed. The chess machine-learning goal was essentially solved three years ago now. Quite a few companies are working with various APIs to front-end what the Nvidia tensor core logic can do with respect to machine learning. Most of this is proprietary for-profit work and unpublished. I can't keep up with it.
  2. Gnothappening Augur

I mean, I doubt this guy has 54 computers as well. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but the wiring alone would take something special. You can't just run 54 laptops or desktops off of one 20 amp breaker. Actually, the logistics and wiring of your house is what makes me think it isn't likely they have 54 + computers, not the fact that someone would own 54 computers. I know I have been offered old desktops that would run EQ for free. My buddy works IT for a company and when they scrap stuff, he just pulls the HD and destroys it, then sells the desktop itself for like $20.
  3. Silver-Crow Augur

Look the easy way to be rid of 54 man box teams is to stop buying their stuff. 54 Krono a month is an expensive habit, and it won't take too long for them to disappear if there's no krono coming in.

I mean really.. why pay real money for stuff that's obsolete in a few months. I can understand that some things with a limited drop life e.g Pre-Nerf Circlet of Shadows is maybe worth a krono but other stuff... meh... it's just not worth it.
  4. Machen New Member

Most EQ players don't play in pugs. The good ones generally don't need to.
  5. GetOffMyUrchin New Member

Your point would make sense if this was a thread complaining about a guild legitimately waking the sleeper before others got to experience it. It's not. So it doesn't.

Your point might even make sense if this was a thread about a group of legitimate players selling loot rights to items. It's not. So it doesn't.

This is a thread about someone blatantly cheating.

It's been demonstrated that people care, even if you personally don't think they should. It's been demonstrated that it impacts players, even if you personally don't think the impact is important.

The only entitlement I'm seeing is coming from you. You seem to believe how you personally feel is more important than how everyone else feels. Ironically, you seem to recognize entitlement isn't a particularly desirable trait in a person, yet you exhibit it so freely.

Beyond all that, your main point - which, if you've been following, makes no sense to begin with - makes even less sense the more you think about it.

All the raiding guilds, who could easily have woken the sleeper, put aside past rivalries and toxicity, and collectively chose not to. Sure seems like a decision made for the benefit of the community as a whole, rather than a decision driven by a single entitled person.

Finally, not that it matters, but I don't care about gnome masks. Can't use 'em anyway.
  6. RizLoaner Elder

Sounds to me like those raid groups feel that they are more important than the group of folks being complained about in this thread. I really haven't seen any evidence of cheating, just a bunch of people complaining that someone is selling raid loot. No screenshots of said cheating, no proof it's one person and not 3-12 people each trueboxing a group or so. EQ is a joke, you can play the entire raid game on a keypad. The folks complaining here are the entitled ones, entitled to a poor opinion with no proof. I'm sure if there was something illegal going on then the 54 person raid talked about in this thread would be banned from everquest, and it looks like they aren't.

If the way someone else decides to play the game within the given ruleset upsets people then I'm not going to feel bad or sympathetic at all. If folks want to complain about other people more power to them. The argument that other players are killing raid mobs before they can and selling the loot and shouldn't be allowed to really isn't much of an argument. If you want the raid loot be better and go kill the encounters. Blaming ones own shortcomings on a group of people playing well within the truebox ruleset and ones ability or inablitiy to clear similar content really shouldn't be allowed on these forums but it seems that's what 99% of the current posts are about.

The entitlement culture really is strong with the TLP players these days, I can't imagine how much entertainment those in the Veteran's forum get out of this.
  7. jeskola pheerie

The same people complaining about guys selling raid loot are probably the same people that pay to have all their characters AE PLd in The Deep or POI or whatever.
  8. Ootax Augur

How is the population on mangler these days?
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

I can't keep up with it, either. But presumably we're a long ways from the average Joe being able to apply machine learning to M Q 2 bots.
  10. Gnothappening Augur

Pretty decent. Better than Coirnav was at this point. I'm thinking I will actually make it all the way to DoDH on a server for once. I'm hedging my bets though by also making a group for Rizlona. That way if Mangler implodes I can at least have fun somewhere.
    Ootax likes this.
  11. taliefer Augur

mangler still hits high population more often than not, as it currently is. its easily the most populated TLP server at this point in the game since phinigel, Mangler is gonna be fine for quite some time yet.

and yes, the person mass boxing and selling raids is obivously violating the server rules.I dont see how anyone can defend that. M

Multiple petitions against him have been filed over the course of the server. for whatever reason hes left alone to do his thing by DPG
  12. Tweakfour17 Augur

What if its not an average Joe? I don't actually believe this is someone using machine learning but if they have publicly conquered chess and the atari how cool would it be for DBG to announce they had partnered with some AI firm and had managed to make it able to play an MMO in real time and win?

You don't need to program 5 individual players, just key classes. Have however many clerics you need in the CHain with a staggered /pause hotkey and you could hit 1 button to broadcast to them all and have a repeating perfectly timed chain going. some /autofire ranger dps. I could easily see PoTime being done by actively playing 4-6 toons and the rest just auto attacking or hitting 1 hotkey the entire time.
  13. Buster_Shruggs Augur

Old man activity: watching the news... Have you ever seen that Tom Cruise flick; "Minority Report?" Basically precogs(?) predict when a person is going to commit a crime and law enforcement apprehends the "future" perpetrator and they are convicted for what they "would have done."
    Apparently China is using some computer program(s) to do just that; predict when potential terrorists are going to commit a crime and are subsequently taking them into custody and sending them to "camps." EQ needs to hire precogs, so we don't have to debate over who is breaking the rules, because GM Precogs will ban you based on what you would have done!!! :eek:
  14. Tweakfour17 Augur

Maybe thats the case for all these posts about "I was banned for no reason!!@!!1!one!" o_O
    Buster_Shruggs likes this.
  15. Buster_Shruggs Augur

LOL, maybe!
  16. Captain Video Augur

China's approach in its MMOs is to use its precog tools to predict which items you are going to want, and then marking up their price in the cash shop.
    Buster_Shruggs likes this.
  17. KnightofTruth Journeyman

Nope. Actually, it's real players who don't have access to Tech Junkies who know how to hack EQ. I'll tell you right now, you have no idea what you're talking about; and that these people are doing this to make a lot of money. The guy on Mangler openly selling raid loot does this as a 'career' to 'support his kids' and everyone knows who he is from the last 5 TLP servers. *Cough*

People who are running more than 6-12 should be investigated, and especially on Truebox. It's clear that if he is doing the top tier raid zone by himself, and then subsequently selling the loot, he's not doing it based on skill, he is doing it based on tech savvy. that should not fly. but as someone else said, he simply gets the pass. because to darkpaw, it looks like he's following the rules somehow.
  18. RizLoaner Elder

I'm curious what skill is involved in any raid encounter in PoP or GoD or really any expansion prior. They are all tank and spanks, tank 1 mob or tank a few mobs and kill them. The only difficulty most raid guilds have is people not paying attention or people who are just bad at EQ for whatever reason. There's no dialog responses, complex movement, complex AE's that are required to be avoided, no death touch buffs that require scripted responses. EQ in it's current state on the majority of the TLP servers requires little to no actual skill to achieve a successful result. You can do everything in game with 2-3 hotkeys per character at most, that's not skill. The only detriment to guilds completing content is incompetent or lazy players.

It's far easier to complete content when you don't have to deal with people who are ignorant or fail to do their job which is the main reason every raid guild fails to complete content. Nobody is going to forget a CH, not cure a debuff, forget to slow, forget to cripple etc etc when you and your friends are the only ones doing the raid via trueboxing up to 54. Most guilds are more efficient in content with minimal actual humans playing as many toons as they are capable who actually pay attention. This isn't some sort of new concept. Echoes of Elysium on Vulak regularly beat content faster than guilds on Fippy because they had fewer actual players but the more competent playerbase, Twisted Legion was the same way, fewer players so less people who could screw something up, it's why while they were active they continually cleared content at a much higher rate than Citizen.

EQ isn't rocket science or skill, it's showing up and hitting 1-3 keys at the proper moment in time.
    TheInquisitor likes this.
  19. Accipiter Old Timer

That person will come along at some point. I have a friend who has played EQ for years, is a programmer, and is very interested in machine learning. He could do it if he had the motivation (he's on an EQ break at the moment).
  20. Accipiter Old Timer

It can't be much of a living.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.