Fixed Internally Reporting of direct spell damage range has reduced after last patch

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Raccoo, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Raccoo Augur

After the last patch direct damage can't be seen as distant as before. It now has the same visible range as melee damage, so you have to be pretty close to the mobs to read other player's nuke/proc damage.This doesn't seem to affect dot damage visible range.

I'm thinking that this was affected when the bug that caused you to see kill shots done by direct damage from across the zone was fixed.
  2. Sancus Augur

Just for reference:

DD reporting is supposed to be 200' as of April 17th, 2019:
    I tested this with two characters in the guild hall on a combat dummy at the following location:
    [Mon Jul 27 13:04:26 2020] Your Location is 107.46, -435.11, -19.28

At approximately 75 feet away (74.32 between the two /loc coordinates), I could no longer see direct damage from the dummy:
    [Mon Jul 27 13:05:28 2020] Sancus begins casting Chaotic Pyroclasm Rk. III.
    [Mon Jul 27 13:05:33 2020] Your Location is 33.17, -437.08, -18.35
    (No further messages)

Moving a step forward (now 69.74 feet between the two /loc coordinates), I was able to see direct damage again:
    [Mon Jul 27 13:05:38 2020] Sancus begins casting Chaotic Pyroclasm Rk. III.
    [Mon Jul 27 13:05:39 2020] Sancus hit Combat Dummy Paza II for 406394 points of fire damage by Chaotic Pyroclasm Rk. III. (Lucky Critical)
    [Mon Jul 27 13:05:41 2020] Your Location is 37.76, -437.19, -18.37
    Ryino, Skuz, RPoo and 1 other person like this.
  3. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

Sigh ... after working so hard to get the spell damage reporting fixed last time, although that was mostly to fix self reporting.

I'm not sure what the other report range on archery is suppose to be but that also fades at about the same mark.

I guess others dd spell parses will be mostly worthless until this is fixed. First dots get huge bumps ... now no one can see my damage. It's like you hate dd casters...
  4. niente Developer

It's fixed now, sorry that it broke.

No :p
    Sancus, Ryino and Raccoo like this.
  5. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

So that means the direct damage revamp is coming in the fall?

Thank you for fixing the issue.
  6. niente Developer

I am a programmer, I don't have the power to change class balance, spells, AA, zones, or content. For that you would need to make your case to the design team. I can fix spell damage range reporting for you.

If you have an issue with how DD spells are tuned, I would use things like parses/evidence/math, in a non-aggressive post, to make a good argument, and not in the bug forum. Sniping at me is not going to help.
    RPoo, Marton, FubarEQ and 9 others like this.
  7. Ryino Elder

Cool thanks for fixing the parse bug, and for not hating DD casters =)
    RPoo, Scornfire and Sancus like this.
  8. Imukai Augur

Out of curiosity, what is the reporting distance of spell dmg supposed to be (dd and dot) ?

And for that matter, what is the reporting range of melee damage? I get asked for parses and unless I'm sitting on the mob from the first hit, I invariably miss some data, and they whine. Would be lovely if that could be increased by 50 or so.
  9. theonepercent Augur

This please, it's pretty silly that the reporting range on melee damage is less than the size of some bosses hitboxes.
    svann likes this.
  10. Pryssylus Journeyman

Niente, I may have a distinct issue (ie. not seemingly due to range) I'm seeing with DD damage since 7/15 patch, please let me know if whatever you fixed will address this also:

Prior to 7/15 patch, I show my two top wizzies routinely parsing in top 5 on TOFS1 - I'm tracking duration/total DPS/top 5 dpsers in every raid event since March, and out of 16 event runs, wizzy1 is in top 5 in 13 of them, while wizzy2 is top 5 in all 16.

However, after 7/15 patch, both wizzies are consistently parsing in the low 20s, in terms of dps rankings! Neither has EVER, since this, made it into the top 20.

As an example, wizzy1 sent me his parse for last night's run - he self-parsed at over 400M damage for the event. Mine shows him at 53M - on BOTH parsers I run!

But here's the kicker: this is ONLY true on TOFS1 - parses appear to be accurate for every single other ToV event (that is, I see one or both in top 5 in every other event since 7/15), some of which have larger ranges involved that TOFS1.

As such, I'm speculating that this is not a range issue, per se, but rather a LoS issue, which may have gotten broken due to the Velks reconfigure of LoS, which went live in 7/15 patch.

Can you confirm that fix to which you referred in this thread would be expected to resolve the event-specific behavior I've described?
    utahjzz98 likes this.