Raid request- Achievement Fails

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cicelee, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Cicelee Augur

Some raid achievements specifically state in game, at the moment, if a player fails the emote and (therefore) the guild fails the achievement. Color coordinated in Mearatas comes to mind as an example. Not only does the game tell you that you failed the achievement, it also provides the name(s) of the players so you can train, educate, hold accountable, discipline, etc. Also the guild can try the raid again immediately and attempt the achievement.

Some raid achievements provide immediate information that allows a raid to determine who did what to prevent an achievement from happening. The Kael raid where you do not sacrifice someone comes to mind as an example. You do not (to my knowledge) get an achievement failure message, but the game does state who sacrificed themselves. This way a guild that is trying for the achievement can not only know that they are not getting the achievement (and therefore try it again), but they know who failed and can educate, train, etc.

Some raid achievements, however, do not provide any sort of feedback. One example (to my knowledge) is the Kael raid where you cannot stand in the crystal aura. A raid can complete the event, and not know who failed the achievement to help train, educate, etc. Furthermore they cannot attempt the event for another week. Also when the achievement can no longer be obtained, there is no in game feedback (to my knowledge) as to the moment that it was failed.

My request is for all future raid achievements to have some sort of obvious and immediate feedback if a raid achievement is failed. It can either be a Mearatas situation where you know the person and the failure, it can be the Kael sacrifice where if you are trying not to sacrifice and someone does, you know right then and there you cannot get the achievement, or any other way that provides feedback immediately.

And if every TOV raid achievement currently does provide immediate feedback and I have not noticed it, I apologize for my ignorance.

Thank you (hopefully) developers for considering this request for future raids going forward.
    Conq, Yinla, daBlubb and 6 others like this.
  2. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

You are wrong about the crystal aura.

There's damage from the aura that is easily made into a GINA trigger. The range on the damage is small (probably due to the others dd damage reporting bug that was introduced in the last patch).

Set a GINA trigger for crushing ice and have folks look back in their logs. You'll find the fail.

How do I know this? We had it happen to us last night and someone picked it up and we restarted to get it right.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Just as important is a mechanic to let you know when you succeed at an achievement when possible as there are some out there that are set in stone well before you beat the event but it can be hard at times to know if you got it.
    Yinla, Nniki and Skuz like this.
  4. Lianeb Augur

it's usually the monks on the auras....for some weird reason.

^{S} has taken {N} damage from Crushing Ice by \.
  5. Aldryn Another New Member

In your specific example you can audio trigger something like ^(?<char>\w+) has taken {N} damage from Crushing Ice by \. and set the output to either display banners or audio cues that are set to ${char} failed , but depending on a variety of situations it can get really spammy if more than a few people fail.

I agree, though, it would be really nice to streamline this kind of thing. It really all depends on which developer is making the raid/achievement(s). Certain ones have been really good about always including messages, and some just have zero indicators at all. The syntax of the message even changes sometimes based on who's doing the typing (e.g., "You can no longer earn the achievement "Achievement Name Here (Raid)" and "You can no longer get the "Name Here (Raid)" Achievement" and "You can no longer earn the "Name Here (Raid)" Achievement").

We try our best to mention this sort of thing in Beta, maybe it would be beneficial for more guilds to suggest this kind of thing to whomever the developer is they're raiding with.
    Astral64, Marton, Korbie and 4 others like this.
  6. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

I'll just throw out my usual spiel about how Challenger Achievements are not content, stop making new content with them, please. As I have pointed out eleventy billion times, achievements as content are a blight unto the video game industry that needs to be deleted for all time. It's lazy development, masquerading as "content".
    Metanis likes this.
  7. Nniki Augur

Doesn't make much sense to me why they don't just have one string to reuse at this point that they could format with the achievement name (which, I'd hope, would also be a shared string ID).

The whole process looks like something that could be standardized with reusable base files that they could inherit from and configure:
    • On event start, load achievement hooks
    • Unload hooks as failures/successes occur to reduce unnecessary processing (and remove opportunities for bugs)
    • Broadcast failure ("on failure") and success ("on success") statuses
    • On completion, award everyone with the same timestamp for each achievement if it's processed at the end of the event
      • Store the completion time in a variable and reuse it for each award
      • It's silly that everyone gets different timestamps for each achievement on the same event, but I'm assuming they process each award individually and also don't currently have a concept of "individual" vs. "shared" when it comes to earning them (sharing an achievement award ID in the DB could be useful for many reasons imo)
    All but the achievement definitions (achievement name, award type - immediate/end of event, logic to check for success/fail, etc.) and the registering of achievements to the event could be abstracted away to make for a cleaner script.

Of course, I know nothing of what it currently looks like or what's possible for them, but from the outside looking in, I feel it could be in a lot better place than it's currently in.
    Aldren likes this.
  8. Bigstomp Augur

Names have been available inconsistently at least as far back as underfoot. After some time they added names to the badger badger badger event to let us know who failed the don't hit the boss with fire mechanic.
  9. Rylak Elder

Failing raid achievements isn't the big mystery its being made out to be here. When a raid is actively going for an /ach, 100% of the time the person who fails, people who observe the fail, GINA or all of the above are quite aware that it happens. The fact that it doesn't get communicated isn't the developers fault, it's the raid force inability to be accountable to each other and call out mistakes when they happen.

None of these achievements are hard to do in singularity. The challenge of them is getting 54 people to do them. Great functioning teams are completely capable of self diagnosing problems and correcting them, either in game or in real life. They don't need some easy mode broadcast of when they failed as they already know they have and fixed it. To them, overcoming those type of challenges end up providing the most satisfaction of all.
  10. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Velks could use something to say who failed the green slime emote......but that slime is awful for loosing sight of it in the geometry. :rolleyes:

Bring back auras!
  11. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

? I do not understand your comment.

There is an emote for who gets called for either Bledrek or Bled's green aura. And there is an emote for everyone who gets hit by Bledrek's buff that spawns the goo men. Bled's aura is pretty self explanatory if a person fails to move from the raid ... cause you're starting over again.
  12. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Hmm I've never seen an emote for who gets hit by Bledreks buff.

Our main issue is not knowing where the green stuff is due to geometry. Most commonly someone in the stair area just in front of where we all zone in so the aura is actually under the path
  13. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

The aura emote is:
    Icebound Bledrek begins making gagging sounds while glaring at XXXX

The emote for spewing bile is:
    Icebound Bledrek spews chunks of restless ice

The failure emote (for spawning goo men) from the spewing bile is:
    XXXX is covered in smelly bile. The restless dead turn to look at them.

At least that's what I got.
    Koryu likes this.
  14. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Thank you, your a star, I've totally lost the plot with this event recently. Getting too old. :D