Selo Truebox

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Pappasalt, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Duality Augur

Another reason to ponder amidst the forthcoming expansion. CAll us of the Forsaking is coming up next monmth. This brings to us the ability to create heroic toons. Notice a few months back, all accessing accounts were given a bonus heroic to claim.

Don't you think it would be beneficial to the server for a flood of new 85's being added to stimulate the serverlous?
  2. That0neguy Augur

We actually do not know that. I am not even sure the dev's have decided what will happen when Selo hits live.
    Skuz likes this.
  3. Duality Augur

Let us hope the conversations that the weaver of dreams is contributing to has more clarity on that!
  4. Scarredevolution New Member

yea thats just my assumption atm
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Valid point.

If the Devs have demonstrated any consistency on how they tackle TLP issues they've taken a "wait and see" approach on most things as no TLP has yet made it to live that is a bridge they've not yet had to cross, they may have thoughts they probably have not yet had an in depth discussion on it.

Selos is increasingly likely to be the first TLP that makes it to live with raiding guild(s) still active so I would think by the end of TBL they will need to start having serious talks on what Selo will keep or lose once it does become a live server.

Truebox - anybody's guess at this point but I would expect the devs to consider the feedback here if they haven't removed it by then.

Obviously there won't be any more 1 month unlocks, and I would highly doubt the server would keep the halved DZ lockouts & move to the Live model for those.

XP rate might be one of the things that stays, but more likely to also get reverted to live XP.
  6. HoodenShuklak Augur

Selo will just die at live if it keeps truebox. Who will ever join at that point? Itll be a shame but what would be the incentive for a new player to roll there? The exp perhaps if its higher, but FV is high too and actually has a robust population as is.

Nonetheless, I really don't think a ton of current selo players will even stick around after going from 1 week unlocks to 1 year.

Honestly best they lose truebox now, if we think about that, to lessen the shockwave.
    Skuz likes this.
  7. Rage Lorekeeper

There'll almost certainly merge Selo with a live server when it gets there, like they did with the last progression server to hit live. People would complain too much about a server having permanent half lockouts as well as AoCs and bonus exp.
  8. KimchiGoddess Augur

I don't play on Selo anymore but I can't imagine someone who is not willing to actually prove who they are outside of a vague reference regarding raid attendance is actually who they say they are and doing what they claim in terms of boxing. Of course I could be 100% wrong in that statement, but it seems odd to me.
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

At least the staff can see who the forum poster really is in game, if the poster are in actuality not active on the server they are being objectionable about the staff can easily disregard the opinions posted should they wish so I wouldn't sweat it too much if the poster wants to retain anonymity from the other forum posters, not everyone is comfortable being that open.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Not necessarily, it's definitely an option but they may choose to keep the server as is and keep the AoC and xp rate it has, highly doubtful that the halved lockout timers would remain though.
    If they do choose to keep Truebox I think that would be a huge mistake though & definitely a server-killer, 12 months between expansions & no boxing from 1 pc would make it a ghost town in no time.
  11. Pikollo Augur

I thought about this before. Believe it or not this is a positive side to automation. For the most part i've never seen automation in new content but I have seen them in old content. Even though its cheating etc. it at least puts more traders in the bazaar with items that are still somewhat useful. If automation becomes a problem in newer content (Say a 3 expansion spread?) then it should be easy for us to record/report.
  12. Gorg00 Augur

For whatever it's worth, at one point I was probably the largest scale *actual* boxer on Selos (not counting any automated farming things), where I topped out at 12 computers running at any one time, and had something like 16? active accounts to handle changing composition based on the situation I was currently boxing.

I'm now down to 6 primary boxes, and 1 or 2 tag alongs that mostly stay in the guild hall and give out buffs. I didn't drop those boxes because Truebox was too hard, but because the move to instanced content meant that the relative power gain of a second group suddenly plummeted. It meant that I had to do every instance at least twice to flag characters (realistically 3 times, because I didn't have two fully independent groups), and since more and more content moved into instances, it meant I couldn't bring the second group along to speed things up either. If content was still all open world, I'd still be 12 boxing, and there's a reasonable chance I'd be boxing more than that.

Truebox never stopped me from boxing effectively unlimited number of characters if I so desired. Laptops that can play EQ are cheap and plentiful, and I can afford them. It also wouldn't stop me from automating if I actually desired to do that, even simple automation is trivial to implement regardless of Truebox status. Literally the only thing that it prevents is out of the box macro quest working, but you can go a long way with nothing more sophisticated than AutoHotKey (shout out to the countless mages around the world spamming a /tar /pet attack button), and writing something smarter than that is literally trivial (a friend of mine wrote a port bot for his druid a few years ago as literally the first programming thing they ever wrote).

What Truebox does mean is that people who have the money and real world space to setup a Truebox rig, have an advantage over those who can't or won't. By putting that barrier to entry in, it means that those people don't have nearly as much competition when attempting to farm items, look for things to sell in the bazaar, find camps etc. If I were someone who did that, I would probably not want Truebox removed as well, because Truebox means I could more effectively farm and sell items to those who can't box, with far less competition. I'm not though, so I'm perfectly happy to say that the primary effect of Truebox on a progressed server like this, is not to block automation, but to make it more difficult for people to box, and thus compete with those who can.
    Tweakfour17, Aneuren and Skuz like this.
  13. Gorg00 Augur

Oh, and in case it's not obvious from my forum name, and the # of boxes I have, I'm Gorgasm in game on Selos.
  14. ForumBoss Augur

I've actually found it easier to get camps on rizlona than aradune, because the boxers tend to concentrate all of their characters in one camp. Thus the character to camp ratio is higher. Because of this, there are more picks for the same number of humans and typically, camps. In the first month of the servers there were often multiple picks with royals or efreeti open in sol b(not usually both, mind you).

From what I've briefly seen and heard on aradune, farmers will learn to be more efficient by parking 2 level 50 necros at the high value cash nameds, not contributing as much to opening picks, and potentially farming in multiple zones/picks/camps to sell to the more lucrative market there.

I also believe boxers tend to enjoy farming their own gear, so the farmers have less incentive on non true box servers since more people have opportunity to camp items on their own.
    KimchiGoddess likes this.
  15. That0neguy Augur

who?
  16. Tweakfour17 Augur

Starlord....Starlord man...legendary outlaw..?...guys?:p
  17. Machen New Member

How's truebox working out for Miragul?
    jeskola and Skuz like this.
  18. Rage Lorekeeper

If they are resistant to increasing the flag rate for earlier expansions they could keep it at 2x up until TBM then change it to 4x for EoK onwards. Would be less messy then making changes for individual expansions and would keep most expansions at the same rate of having to clear each tier twice to move on.
  19. HoodenShuklak Augur

Rather see them fix pof above all else tbh.
  20. Duality Augur

Shhh thats one account staying offline till true box poofs