DP Marketplace / Revenue suggestion

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Froglok, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Froglok Augur

A recent post in another thread included a Marketplace idea that seemed to garner some Dev interest... a little.

It reminded me that I have never understood why DP overlooks so many revenue possibilities and opportunities.

**For example, automating a rotation of categorized items on the first of each month (there are a lot of mounts, illusions, familiars and such we never ever see anymore).

**Offering individual expansion-package-only items from expansion that are at least 3 expansions old, for which players only got 1-such-item per account, but may want the item for all of the toons on their account (i.e. the Mark of Brell, a mount, an illusion; a portal item...); or they missed out getting such an item because they weren't active at the time or because they bought a cheaper expansion package.

**Bring back account-to-account transfers (for accounts that can be verified as owned by the same person), even if at a (much) higher price?

Earned Veteran rewards are no longer a concern. Account-to-account does not involve a server change. A server merge has happened, so whatever concerns that had to do account-to-account transfers is seemingly resolved. Why be concerned with Heirloom items, they will simply be transferred with the toon. Zero need to be concerned with real estate (the toon is not changing servers).

Very recently an update "disconnected" characters from the accounts they belonged to. They had to simply reconnect them (I had this happen and it took 5 minutes for them to fix it).

Wouldn't an account to account transfer, then, be as simple as the bug was? Disconnect from one account (on purpose this time) and then reconnect it to the other account? From a players point of view this would be all that is required, after verifying ownership of both accounts and that the receiving account has an empty character slot for the incoming character.

**And what about being able to buy and gift items from the Marketplace? This is a social game, after all. On birthdays,. anniversaries, Xmas and other holidays and special occasions... what better way to celebrate than to send a gift?

So, rather than have a Gift and Regular version of each Marketplace item, how about just making the Regular Items (or at least most of them) into tradeable "Parcel" items? Just like the "Prize" and "Adoptable" items, they can be given as gifts (or sold) to other players.

This alone would surely increase Marketplace sales, and probably by no small amount.

**How about selling more character slots? There are are what 14 max character slots, but 16 character types? Sell us two more slots (one at a time) so that we can have one of each character type, if we want to.

**How about selling Beta Reward items for a slight premium? Sure, they were an award for Beta testers, but only if the Tester earned enough "points" in the Beta. However, they did get the item FREE.

We would have to BUY it... which would be great if we somehow missed out on the Beta or did not qualify by earning enough points (I have had this happen in two Beta's... let's face it, unless you can get in on raid testing, or sneak in with the big guilds who play in mass, you are pretty much on your own to get points).

**How about selling "promotional" items that were awarded as a bonus for some promotional reason, that, technically, were given FREE to whoever got them?

For instance, a recent T-Shirt sale (a LIMITED one at that) included a seemingly secret item claim code that was not made known up front? (If it had been, I would have bought one. By the time I heard this, they were sold out.)

Past Fan Fares admissions included a code for special items (I would love to have the Guise of the Ancient Gods Illusion, for instance).

The Angler Fish Facade was awarded to players who consumed a Krono in March of 2018. Inactive players or new returning players or lifetime players may have missed out on this one-time thing. So, sell it to those who missed out for a DP Cash equivalent cost of a Krono?

Or items from the recruiting programs of the past? Only the Golden Hero ornament set has made it's way to the Marketplace from this program. How about adding the rest? I would love to have a Painting: The Goddess of Luclin!

And so on! Want a list? :)

**And what about certain LoN items that, for some reason, never made it to the "Prize" format?

There were a few in-game "quest" related items that came with certain items in a Package (such as a "Crate" or a "Pack").

For instance, the Path of Skulls can be acquired from Prize: Path of Skulls... but the "Path of Skulls Fragment Pack" seems missing in action.

The Path of Skulls Fragment Pack included the Path of Skulls and an Empty Glowing Skull, which was used to quest / get a Frozen (Blue) Skeleton Mercenary.

The NPC for this is 100% still in game, but the mercenary is impossible to acquire now, because the Path of Skulls comes as a stand alone Prize, rather than a Prize "Pack."

How about selling the Empty Glowing Skull in the marketplace? (Or... at least make the Prize a Pack.)

Just a few ideas.

I am all for DP making more revenue. After all, the more revenue DP brings in, the higher the possibilities they can hire more people to make better, less buggy and bigger expansions (more content) and the longer the game keeps going!
    FubarEQ, Duder, Zamiam and 1 other person like this.
  2. Corydon Augur

I am trying to remember when DPG did something that makes sense. I fail at it.

Just look at the last 4 TLP's. When they communicated the rulesets people were up in arms and shaking their heads and fists untile the rulesets were changed.

General communication is really bad at DPG. You only learn "by accident" when the next bonus XP week is active. They might communicate it one or two days in advance if you're lucky.

They are missing out a ton of revenue all over the place. Bunch 'o rookies...
  3. Buster_Shruggs Augur

I agree that there are plenty of these digital treasures they could make RL$$ off of, should they decide to offer them in the Marketplace. I never understood why they so drastically reduced the number of mounts and player/pet illusions they had for sale in the Marketplace?! o_O
    However, I have never run a company, so their decisions may have some financial/business standpoint that is foreign to me. I would like McDonalds to offer the McRib all year long too, but alas, it is not so...
  4. Zamiam Augur

I agree with OP, DPG could be making a killing on marketplace sales on certain items that were mentioned above .. examples of items I would be interested in purchasing are the
    1.Teleport clickies , Brells, CR portal ( that for some reason you wont make heirloom) then why not make money off selling them ?

2. some of the houses that were included in expansion sales .. specifically for me the bixie house ..

3. there were a few illusions I missed out on or didnt/couldnt beta test at the time that I would def purchase if it were made avail ..

4. and why dont you guys bring back the ball of fluffy cotton in marketplace .. I mean yes most all casters have perma lev now but floating on a cloud is just kewl :p Or make the few I have heirloomable so i can transfer it ..
    Andarriel likes this.
  5. Zamiam Augur

I understand why Mcdonalds doesn't offer the Mcrib all year round , but as far as DPG not offering a digital item that could sell all year round and doesnt have to compete with the price of beef and waste, inventory , theft, and herbivores that don't eat meat :p

to me and just my opinion it doesnt make any logical business sense for DPG not to offer these for sale .. they could prolly fund a whole year or 2 of their dev team with the sales they would make ..
    Buster_Shruggs likes this.
  6. Filter Augur

Marketing engine's know their sheeeeeeet. If they had everything available all the time, people don't see a need to purchase it. There are studies that marketeers live by to capture as much revenue as possible.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  7. Pawtato Augur

Selling the Mounts, Illusions, etc through Heritage Crates and LoN packs results in more revenue than individual marketplace sales. You get the pop-up every month for claiming the 500 DBC, which research has shown that getting users to spend 1 time leads to subsequent spending. Plus the items are able to be traded, which increases Krono sales.
    Buster_Shruggs likes this.
  8. Zamiam Augur

Making items not for sale the whole year I can understand .. NEVER making items on sale doesnt make sense ..
    Prismatus and Barton like this.
  9. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Daybreak take our money! We need a flash sale for new teleport clickies and a keyring to put them on!
    Angahran likes this.
  10. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

They need to put their marketplace items on their website so people can browse through the entire catalog and buy straight from the site.
    Yinla likes this.
  11. Froglok Augur

You may have a point here. Maybe the better idea is to add a new random reward item like the LoN Cards and Heritage Crates?

Maybe make two of them... one for Marketplace items they never offer anymore and promotional items.

Call it the Magical Box of Nostalgia (tradable) for the promo items and Dusty Warehouse Crate for the market items.... buy it, click it and get one of the items we have been talking about.

It would be great if the item was a "wrapped" tradeable item that has to be converted to the No Trade actual item like with Heritage Crates and LoN Cards.

However, that would mean creating a new item in the database for every possible reward. So, instead, how about when you click it, it does a character inventory check and if you all ready have the item, you get a message like, "This item is tougher to open than you thought. Try opening it again." Try again (and again if needed) until you get an item you don't have.

Of course, every new expansion, the potential rewards will need to be added to.
  12. Xyphen Maximum Augur

The biggest source of revenue DBG could generate is through re-selling Kronos, like such:
    • Bob buys 5 Kronos from marketplace
    • Bob spends those 5 Kronos on an item from DBG seller in-game
    • DBG re-sells those Kronos on <insert auction site here> for a lower price
    • Jane buys Kronos from <insert auction site here> and buys another item from DBG source
    • DBG sets up /barter mule with unlimited platinum to purchase Krono from those looking to make a quick $2mm
    • DBG lists those on <insert auction site here>
    • Rinse and repeat
    That has essentially turned a $17 purchase into a $37+ purchase. They could then price marketplace commodities (xp pots, loot crates, services) the same way you would structure derivatives -- hedging against Kronos purchased to claim account time vs those used as cross-server currency.

Let alone the fact they have the technical capability to just "spawn" items that generate hundreds/thousands of dollars/wk from other sources (nuggets, raid gear, accounts).

DBG wouldn't officially be able to sanction this because it's most likely wire-fraud. But outside of being a bummer on the EULA, it isn't illegal for anyone to conduct these transactions. It might even be a good idea to separate the games from your parent company, maybe call it something like Darkpaw Games.

Just kidding :cool: .
  13. Froglok Augur

So... I made a PARTIAL list of things that could be offered...

This list is only Familiars, Mounts and Illusions that were expansion package offers, Beta rewards, EQ Event items, items that no longer seem to show up in the Marketplace and other special / promotional awards. And this list is by no means complete! In fact, it doesn't even include special houses, placeables, portals (like the Painting: The Goddess Luclin), crates, ornaments and other items from the same / similar sources.

FAMILIARS:

Crystalline Construct Familiar (Premium version of TBL)
    Dark Prince Marionette Familiar (Market)
    Devourer Familiar (Premium & Collector Edition of RoS)
    Drogan Goblin Familiar (Collector & Premium version of EoK)
    Fire Slug Familiar (Collector & Premium version of TBL)
    Happy Noble Marionette Familiar (Market)
    Helping Hand Familiar (Recruit a Friend)
    Herald Telcha Familiar (Premium version of RoS)
    Melancholy Jester Marionette Familiar (Market)
    Metamorph Totem: Abyssal Girplan (Market)
    Metamorph Totem: Ancient Gods (2014 SoE Live)
    Metamorph Totem: Cernerder'Eh Murkglider (paid member log in 7/1/19 - 7/8/19)
    Metamorph Totem: Chetari Servant (Market)
    Metamorph Totem: Chocolate Rabbit (Market)
    Metamorph Totem: Hadal Scout (Market)
    Metamorph Totem: Mosquito (Market)
    Metamorph Totem: Murikaglider (paid member log in 7/1/19 - 7/8/19)
    Metamorph Totem: Rotted Treant (Market)
    Metamorph Totem: Steamwork Fixer (Market)
    Metamorph Wand - Tizmak (Premium & Friends & Family version of ToV)
    Metamorph Totem: Tower Warden (Market?)
    Metamorph Wand: Mad Jester
    Metamorph Wand - Scarecrow
    Metamorph Wand - Velious Snow Kitten (Collector & Premium version of ToV)
    Moody Harlequin Marionette Familiar
    Oashim Familiar
    Ruffian Bonnie Familiar (Market?)
    Ruffian Finnegan Familiar (Market)
    Scribe Glyssel Familiar (Market)
    Succulent Familiar (Premium version of EoK)
    White Queen Marionette Familiar (Market)

ILLUSIONS:

Angler Fish Facade (Consume a Krono in March 2018)
    Cowl of the Dreadlands Yeti (EoK Beta)
    Fairy Wing (TSS Beta)
    Guise of the Ancient Gods (2014 SoE Live)
    Guise of the Combine (Premium version of EoK)
    Guise of the Crystalline Construct (Premium & Collector versions of EoK)
    Guise of the Iron-Toothed Earthdigger (Premium & Collector versions of RoS)
    Guise of the Restless Coldain (Premium & Collectors version of ToV)
    Gumdrop Button (HoT Beta)
    Lens of the Evil Eye (PoR Beta)
    Polymorph Wand: Burning Nekhon (Market)
    Polymorph Wand: Dark Elf Pirate - Female (Market)
    Polymorph Wand: Flame Telmira (Market)
    Polymorph Wand: Flood Telmira (Market)
    Polymorph Wand: Human Pirate - Female (Market)
    Polymorph Wand: Human Pirate - Male (Market)
    Polymorph Wand: Junkyard Gnomework (Market)
    Polymorph Wand: Kedge (Market)
    Polymorph Wand: Polar Bear (Market)
    Polymorph Wand: Robed Scrykin (Market)
    Polymorph Wand: Simple Gnoll (Market)
    Polymorph Wand: Simple Gnomework (Market)
    Polymorph Wand: Swinetor Necromancer (Market)
    Polymorph Wand: Twisted Gnomework (Market)
    Polymorph Wand: Undead Gnoll (Market)
    Polymorph Wand: Warped Chetari (Market)
    Skull of the Slain Sarnak (Achievement Autumn Appreciation Bonus '17) (log in 9/20/17 - 10/15/17)
    Visage of Chardok Royalty (Achievement: Autumn Appreciation Bonus '16) (log in 9/29/16 - 10/12/16)
    Visage of Farfathom (granted to paid accounts when Free to Play started)

MOUNTS:

Armored Frontier Rhinoceros Saddle (Collector & Premium version of EoK)
    Armored Sessiloid Saddle (Recruit a Friend Program, converted from a Recruiters mount)
    Bridle of Queen Velazul's Sokokar (Premium version of EoK)
    Bridle of the Alabaster Jungle (2010 Fan Fare)
    Bridle of the Balefire Wyvern (Premium version of RoS)
    Bridle of the Wrulon Protector (2008 Fan Fare)
    Carpet of Stratos (Collector & Premium version of TBL)
    Cockatrice Mount (Collector & Premium version of RoS)
    Desiccated Hedgerow Leaf (Collector version of HoT)
    Dragonfly Saddle (Marketplace)
    Golden Wurm Saddle (Recruit a Friend Program, converted from a Recruiters mount)
    Jungle Raptor Saddle (only given to Heroic Characters)
    Komodo Dragon Saddle (Marketplace)
    Onyx Skystrider Saddle (Marketplace)
    Parade Armored Onyx Skystrider Saddle (Marketplace)
    Pegasus Saddle (Marketplace)
    Pridewing Lion Mount (Collector version of TBM)
    Quarm-Touched Feran Bridle (from now defunct Quarm server)
    Raptor Saddle (Marketplace)
    Ruishi Saddle (Marketplace)
    Sessiloid Saddle (Marketplace)
    Temporal Chrysalis (Living Legacy promotion) (converts to Bridle of the Corrupted Sokokar)
    Thulian Bracelet of the Severed Hand (Collector version of RoF)
    Veilbreaker Escape Module (pre-quest for VoA that is no longer in game)

Suggest as Stand Alone sale:

Battle Cat Statuette (Collector version of TDS) (converts to one of three non-Lore group mounts, the Bronze Armor, Crimson Armor or the Cerulean Armor Battle Cat... this will alow a player to get all three versions).

Collapsible Roboboar (Box version of DoDH?) used to make several other mounts, this would allow players to make every version.

Ornate Barding (PoR claim, but only one per account) -- while it is a mount by itself, it is also used to make a number of other mounts. Selling it will allow us to make all the possible mounts.

Mottled Worg Bridle (SoF claim, but only one per account) -- while it is a mount by itself, it is also used to make a number of other mounts. Selling it will allow us to make all the possible mounts.

Shiny New Collapsible Roboboar (from 10th Anniversary quest series, but you get only one) -- while it is a mount by itself, it is also used to make a number of other mounts. Selling it will allow us to make all the possible mounts.
    FubarEQ, Andarriel and Zamiam like this.
  14. Corydon Augur

What are you guys talking about? In Germany you can have McRib 24/365.
    Zamiam likes this.
  15. Froglok Augur

I hope some Devs have seen this and noted it for future considerations. :)
  16. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

yea i would love the bixie house i missed it when it was out. think i was being cheap back in the day :(

Andarriel
  17. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

They have stated they tried this and sales were far below all the posts from people who said they would buy stuff.

So they did come out with the collectors editions that people were screaming about wanting and no one is buying them once again. Probably due to the price but they don't see that. They just see the sales do not supports the posts of people wanting items

Here it is:

They sell horribly. Including ones specifically asked for.

"In the end there is another reason.
    Each additional illusion is another chunk of memory used.

Adam "Ngreth" Bell
    Senior Designer, EverQuest
    Ngreth Thergn, Jun 24, 2019 "
  18. Zamiam Augur

If they are so worried about memory , Then why do they keep coming out with new illusions in the Expansion packages , or the heritage crates or by completing the /ach of said expansions ..

On a side : if they were to add the past expansion items into a heritage crate I would not buy them if its a random reward .. I want to be able to go to marketplace and see the bixie house or an Illusion I missed and click on it and buy it .. for a reasonable price .. why you devs think you'll get 90 bucks for the VoA collectors edition (and maybe there are those people out there that will buy it for that price) is beyond me.. Its a Digital item ..be reasonable .. the HoT collectors was only 40 . why jump the VoA up to 90 ? so next past expansion collectors you release keep that in mind ..

also if you put past expansion stuff for sale individually keep the price point reasonable you'll sell a ton more .. for example the bixie house I wouldnt pay more than 20 or 30 for the house .. illusions not more than 10 to 25 .. jmho ..
    Yinla and Andarriel like this.
  19. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Yea they would sell more if they knew how to price them 90 dollars is alot of money for some people. i agree with you on price of house and illusions.

Andarriel
  20. Razorfall Augur

It all depends on how they sell them. I bought the HoT collectors edition items when they re-released them, but when they had the VoA items it was so expensive that I didn't even bother.
    Andarriel likes this.