Toughest single group encounter by expansion?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Thundun, Jul 21, 2020.

1. minimind The Village Idiot

RoF: Still haven't completed the expansion.
    CotF: The final mission in the progression. Tough not to just burn, burn, burn.
    TDS: I just did this expansion and nothing sticks out as difficult in complexity. I can't speak to the difficulty in power because I'm a bit over-leveled.
    TBM: Anashti Sul, Damsel of Decay. This is simply too complex groups that aren't used to raid-level discipline. I love that it's there so raiders can get some practice on the raid event, but there are just too many fail mechanics.
    EoK: That Chardok mission with that invisible/pop-up quest giver. Running around Chardok is annoying.
    RoS: End of Empire
    TBL: All of the Smoke Trials were tough (did this at level unlike most of the previous).
    ToV: Icebound Avatar is the most stressful for my group. We only do it as necessary (completion for alts, etc.). It's not particularly complex, but is very rough on grouping tanks/healers.
  2. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Yea Render was the one I struggled with the most on Phinigel a few weeks back. It took me about 4-5 attempts to box the mission up to that point since the mechanics of the mission required my druid not move and wield the skull/totem and the final boss of that script had a similar mana drain. After which Render didn't even spawn so I killed PH and AFK'd an hour, came back Render was up.

About 4 hours later and probably 10+ attempts each time afking 15-20min to let discs come back up, I was able to beat him. It took some decent luck and cycling of passive/reactive on mercenaries to keep them off hatelist and their mana pools preserved to be able to finish him off.

I am sure as with almost everything in EQ, with a full group it would've been a joke since DPS can just blow it up in 30 seconds. But with a Druid/Warrior+2 Mercenary group it was extremely painful with the scaling melee DPS and spell values.

With a full group I still think Anashti Enslaver is still a harder event though.
  3. Lubianx Augur

Oops, Rare's fault

I would say probably Fall of Bayle
    Andarriel and minimind like this.
  4. Kolani Augur

I would like to put in votes for Prince Rallafin in TBL and Building the Disguise in Depths of Darkhollow.
  5. Bigstomp Augur

Group content prince you could do one mob at a time. While time consuming it was not really challenging.
  6. Eaiana Augur

I have strong memories of two encounters in VoA that were very very rough in era:

Paleodontis - the named turtle in Sepulcher of Order. When the expansion first came out this mob was wiping multiple raid geared groups. This one was a pet tank job all the way.

Deepblade - once you figure out the strat he isn't so bad, but this guy was a meat grinder. Many, many wipes before figuring out how to deal with the targeted rain AE.

Sepulcher had some truly terrifying mobs. And those random pop SI guys - at least there were a lot of zone lines to run trains to.
  7. Natal Augur

Grass snakes I believe. They kick.
  8. Xyphen Maximum Augur

Going back as far as I can remember:

ToV: Icebound Avatar, especially if you're going for All Credit to Rallos
    TBL: Smoke trials aside from Three and Wending
    RoS: End of Empire
    EoK: Lceanium mission
    TBM: Anashti Enslaver of Souls
    CotF: Last Bayle mission
    (I took a very long break, years pass...)
    GoD: Tipt mission. Though that entire expansion is basically an old-school TBL.
    PoP: Lossenmachar because of the annoying respawning spiders
    SoL: Radir and Tawro
    SoV: Vilefang
    RoK: Tolapumj. Maybe Prince if you 1-grouped it.
    Classic: Wraith of a Shissar or Estrella
  9. Mazame Augur

What you need to know is diffrent events are hard / not hard based on your group of players. Example
    Eok Catiki mission is easy for a group of casters to burn down but hard for a group of melee.

The other thing to consider is your gear / AA both of these play a big part in what people are able to do. Example I know you said current gear but are you talking raid gear or just group gear.

I play a Chanter (group geared for the most part) and a Bst (raid gear). I return to the game when Ros came out and so I was very under geared but was able to do Eok / RoS. I then started Raiding again and was raid gear on my bst for TBL / ToV.

ToV: - I boxed all of progression other then the Missions.

TBL: - I boxed all of progression and some of the missions ( fight fire / Contract of war / Smoke trials 3/5)

When i was group geared.

RoS: - Boxed progression / Got a group to do the missions.

EoK: - Boxed progression / Got a group to do the missions.

TBM: - Was not around when current

TDS: - Was not around when current

RoF - Boxed progression / Got a group to do the missions. (hardest one was chapter house)

VoA: - Boxed progression / Got a group to do the missions.

HoT: - Boxed progression / Got a group to do the missions.

Underfoot: I boxed almost everything in the exp. Many people thought it was a hard exp but I was able to do the husk mission with my Bst and a boxed Bard

SoD: -Boxed progression / Got a group to do the missions.

SoF: - Boxed progression / Got a group to do the missions.

TBS: -Was not around when it was current

TSS: - Was not around when current

PoR: - Was not around when current

DoDH: - Boxed progression / Got a group to do the missions.

DoN: - Boxed progression / Got a group to do the missions.

OoW: - Got a group to do the missions. Hardest part was the Trials. needed the right group make up based on what trial you were doing.

GoD: - Very few people played in GOD when it was Current it was going to have a level increased and was tuned for that. In the end the level cap was not raised and made the whole exp harder then intended. Most people required a chanter to charm tank to even progress.

LDON: Was a lot of fun running nothing but mission with a group.

LoY: Boxed most of this with a Bst / Cleric

PoP: Most of this you need a group to progress. Hardest part was flagging and most events required a raid to get you flagged. Not sure you could do this with just a group in current level / gear because you would not be able to get the raid flags to progress. Also most of the higher zone were intended for 2+ group to be clearing.

This brings up another good point when most this stuff was current the zones were filled. This meant you could progress and do things with out having to clear it your self. In some of these zone the mobs were very packed and took may groups to keep clear. Example would be plane of hate and fear took full raids to break in and clear but once broken people would be able to use one group to kill repops as they spawned. Much of Planes are that way in that when you have the camp broken it easy to do as a single group. Breaking the camp some times required more.

SoL: This exp I was soloing a beastlord I do not recall much being very hard. It was more of a grind to get the drops then being hard. I do recall a group of 3 players with a total of 9 toons taking down a raid target. It tooks us over two hours to get him down but we pulled it off. Back then enrage timers were not a thing so if you were determined you could take your time and eat away at them.

SoV: Was on a Mission for my Church.

RoK: Was on a Mission for my Church

EQ: When EQ came out it took a group to level and the hard part was keeping your level. (Hell Levels) Having play on TLP it not the same back then if you died it SUCKed. Corpse runs were a nightmare.

If your looking for a challenge and putting limits on your self you will want to consider a few things.

Do you have a TANK ?
    Do you have a Healer?
    Do you have CC?

With those 3 things you can do 95% of the group content at a current level with current gear.

Next would be to look at the /ach for each exp. That will give you a good idea of what to do in that exp before you move on. ( FYI Plane of War is in POP /ach but is not current level with POP) (also GMM is not current content for SoF)

Starting with SoF the Hero Journey achievement is a good thing to work on. until your 85.

At 85 you start HoT at this point Progression is tracked by /ach and so you can work on the solo / group quest. You also have hunter and other things you can do. complete the /ach would be a good marker for when it time to move on.

AA are flagged by EXP so if you want to limit your self to an exp you can so so by not buying any aa that are not for the current exp your working on.
    Andarriel likes this.
  10. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

oh yea i was doing cotf hunters and finished it up and was able to get that mission big mistake trying to burn it lol oneday will have to go back to see if i can do it looks like a long fight. This was on my ranger.

Andarriel