Boxer Hate Discussion

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Lionari, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Chickenfriedboxer New Member

And that is why you do not make decisions for more then what shirt to wear today.
    Simple mind. Let me simplify it for you. DBG is a business. They are here to make money. At this point you are telling yourself, "I know that!" Curl your arms up, hunch your shoulders and feel disgruntled. I get it. Been there. They, being DBG, aren't trying to cater to your ideals of what EQ is. They aren't catering to my ideals of what EQ is. They are trying to keep EQ on the table. So that we all may eat. If you can't handle that, if you do not agree with that, then move on. I would argue that by me having 24 paying accounts vs your 1 or 2 or even 6 that I have more say in the future of this company than you. If that is hard to swallow then maybe you should invest more in the company you claim to love so much.
    Thewiz and KimchiGoddess like this.
  2. code-zero Augur

It should be called The Invisible Boxing Plague or IBP
    Bardy McFly and KimchiGoddess like this.
  3. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Yet another reason why DPG shouldn't allow boxing on ALL TLPs. We already have a perfect case study. Rizlona vs Aradune. People would rather sit in multi hour long queues then play with multiboxers.
  4. Truetotheblue Augur

IBS or Irritable Boxing Syndrome. Makes you so angerery you start spewing a bunch of crap.
    code-zero, Thewiz, Skuz and 1 other person like this.
  5. tofu stir fry Augur

for the salty and the sad:

the sooner people learn to ignore the Siht in game they dont like; the sooner they find what they do like in eq .... stop comparing yourself to your neighbours and worry about your own game ... i could care less if someone plays 1 account or 72 ... (yes there are said people). and guess what neither does DBG ... pull up your pants wipe your nose dry your eyes and get on with your day.
    KimchiGoddess likes this.
  6. dreamweaver Community Manager

I cleaned up a chunk of posts that spinned into off topic for this thread and personal attacks. Hopefully that's enough to get this back on topic.
  7. SunDrake Augur

There was never a topic to get back on.
    WaitingforMoreEQ likes this.
  8. Truetotheblue Augur

Idk what you're talking about there totally is. Need more names for this boxing plague.
  9. SunDrake Augur

The Box Pox.
  10. Kittany Augur

My thoughts on Rizlona
    KimchiGoddess, Thewiz, Skuz and 2 others like this.
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

^ This all day

+100

There are as many different kinds of solo players as there are players & the same goes for boxers, if you have not met any, I mean none at all nice boxers then that's because you pre-judged them before you even gave them a chance to change your mind. That's a YOU problem.
    So much of the vitriol aimed at boxers is extremely irrational, illogical, uninformed or wilfully ignorant. Some small part of it is justified in a few individual cases perhaps, but people of all kinds tend to develop prejudices, and those tend to get worse with age have one bad experience with a boxer & suddenly all boxers are the miscreants of the universe...it is intellectually bankrupt & plain lazy thinking that leads to this.

Are there boxers who cause trouble? Yes
    Are there boxers who don't want to group with you? Yes.
    Are there boxers who monopolize content/spawns/groundspawns for days or even weeks at times? Yes

Are there single players who do exactly those things above? yes, though the third one is a bit harder to do alone/molo.

Are all boxers bad? According to multiple unreasonable forum posters in this thread yes.
    They are being stupid about it, because not every boxer is setting out to destroy your fun, in many cases boxers help groups happen that would never have happened without them.

I know a bunch of my own guild members box, they are all open to having people tag along some will even actively try to organise progression runs despite having completed it themselves already just to help out the other members of the guild. Just for context, there is pretty much no PuG'ing on my server since there are only 3 raiding guilds left here & the one I am in is the only EU server.

The one big reason so many players turn to boxing is that they find that on non-raiding days there are a lesser number of players logging in, they find it much harder to get groups and/or they play at odd times compared to the rest of their guild on days off due to wanting to spend at least one or some of those evenings with a significant other or family/friends.

Myself as a DPS I did find it harder to get groups, DPS classes tend to outnumber priests & tanks by a large amount so groups are harder to get usually.
    I also started boxing in order to farm trade-skill materials, nobody wants to come help you farm whatever god-forsaken crap you are looking for when there is literally nothing in it for them:
    - no xp, you are often slaughtering grey cons
    - very little plat or tribute - since you are vacuuming up all the tradeskill stuff & looting items of value to sell in order to help fund the expense involved in the tradeskills you are doing.

Also what if you missed out on earlier progression? You can easily be the only one in your guild that misses mission X from expansion X, so a boxer can tackle those, albeit often out of era but a solo player probably cannot until much much later on.

Hating on boxers is largely just certain people being petty & small-minded, by all means hate on someone who is an absolute Jerk "who just so happens to be a boxer" but hating on boxers in general is freaking dumb & may even bite you in the posterior when you need help & the only players around are boxers & they say to hell with helping you when you have been such a jack*** about it.

Even on a zero boxing allowed server you would probably have a hard time finding groups, and you would run into people that wouldn't group with you ever, in fact they'd probably rather leave the game than play with someone with your level of ignorance & self-righteous bad-attitude.
  12. Thewiz Augur

Multi-Account Disorder. MAD for short. It fits.
    Truetotheblue, Skuz and KimchiGoddess like this.
  13. Truetotheblue Augur

I was thinking Universal Multi Account Disorder for this reason. UMAD.

One important thing to add to this too is unless you're Zuck bot you're going to feel different every day. Personally some days I feel really outgoing and want to be social. Other days I just want to listen to music and work on something alone. Some days I want to meet new people and see new things. One constant that works with all of that is that I want to play EverQuest because I enjoy it. Boxing allows the flexibility to create random groups by inviting people in general or playing alone when you personally just want to be left that way. Having the flexibility to do either gives you the freedom to not have what you do in game be dictated by your personal feelings that day and really adds to the enjoyment of playing because you're not limited in any manner.
    TheInquisitor, Thewiz, Skuz and 2 others like this.
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

When your server has aged to the point that forming a group or getting into one is taking more time to do than the amount of time you spend actually playing it gets old FAST, that's one of the biggest causes for players quitting EverQuest altogether.

Boxing & boxers help alleviate that problem by allowing you to get to playing faster & even forming a group faster, I so often begin with my 3 box setup & add people as they log in or join someone else's box crew on days when I simply CBA to box - but at least I have the option to box should no groups happen.
  15. Aneuren Tempered Steel

Moreover, it gives people something to stay interested in.

Yes, you can bring up an alt on your main account, and most people can box one or two with additional computers, but both choices are a hassle. We don't need any more barriers to entry than this game already has, and instead need simple and viable alternate activities that will help keep a population engaged as the years go by.

But having a box crew is one of the most interesting things I have ever done in an MMO. Doing it on one computer is optimal. I still run my Cleric and Bard on Mangler, but it's annoying whenever I think of the freedom I had on Fippy and the enjoyment that myself and my friends all had in picking out a strong team that we could work together on building and maintaining.

There are people that have truly intense hatred, and all they do is to paint all boxers with the same brush. They have the audacity to think that it is their right to brag about their moral superiority as if boxing hasn't been a major component to EverQuest for well over a decade. But we are the evil ones, and it gives them the right to try to impose their will for how we should get to play this game.

At least, as long as it takes them to abandon whatever server they are currently on in favor of the next one. So long suckers, enjoy the restrictive rules that you're stuck with for the rest of the life of this server - it'll never hurt us, we're already on to the next thing.
    KimchiGoddess and Skuz like this.
  16. Kurage_of_Luclin Augur

Maybe some people also box to avoid toxic players. Really, who hasn't regretted inviting a toxic person to their group?
    Metanis and Skuz like this.
  17. code-zero Augur

I have always suspected that quite a few people did what my friends and I did back as far as Luclin and made a very long list of people to never group with due to their ninja looting, ninja AFKing and other assorted bad behavior which ultimately led to bringing along boxes just so we could say "Sorry, group's full" should they show up, and they always seemed to show up at least till they finally quit. Funny thing though, those sorts didn't even want to group with each other
  18. KimchiGoddess Augur

I feel this, although my experience is more recent. Having ended up on Rizlona, whenever I play weekly with my friend on Mangler I kind of half hate it. It's clunky and annoying and I miss the freedom of having everyone on one PC and where it's as easy as ALT-TAB.
    Bardy McFly, Aneuren and code-zero like this.
  19. Accipiter Old Timer

If you were in charge EQ would have been dead long ago.
    Bardy McFly, Skuz and KimchiGoddess like this.
  20. Vaeeldar Augur

So it’s been a year and reading through this thread is even more interesting when you consider that Riz typically has higher population then Aradune - it’s off hours but as an example medium Riz to low Ara. Not that ara’s pop is horrible but it sure doesn’t seem like the “boxing’” server has died.
    Bardy McFly and PathToEternity like this.