I need suggestions for cheap or easy to get Wis gear for my Druid and Shammy on Aradune.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by SleezerGeezer, Jul 15, 2020.

1. SleezerGeezer Elder

The gear doesn't have to be great, just cheap or easy to get. At this point, any Wis bonus is better than nothing.

Thanks.
  2. Maze Elder

3. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

https://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Pre_Planar_Gear#Druid

But really you don't need gear while leveling, a simple set of patchwork armor can get you to 50. The most important thing is keeping some form of mana regen running, be it Clarity or Marketplace potions since grinding is all about sustain.
    ForumBoss likes this.
  4. kamikazeheart Elder

Gold jasper ears, platinum jasper rings, silver/platinum ruby veil, savants cap, platinum armband, withered leather gorget, polished bone bracelets, splitpaw hide gloves. Those are all fairly cheap. Held items with wis are going to be more expensive and run in the 800-1.5k range i.e. mistletoe cutting sickle and charred guardian shield.
  5. Xeris Augur

Ya you can get a fairly decent set of stuff for <1,000pp... but like Bobby said, you don't REALLY need gear. The wis will help, but at this level the mana regen is most important.
  6. Numiko Augur

padded armour from vendor in Freeport is way better then patchwork !
  7. Lineater Augur

+6 wis mace drops from undead in kithicor at night (7pm-7am game time). Buy a stack of invis undead pots, run around until you see a mob wielding a mace. Pretty easy to get if you are high enough level (mobs are around mid 30's IIRC). But the zone can be pretty treacherous if you're not careful. It's also no drop so it's not heavily farmed. I got one off a ghoul healer, took about 10min.

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=74
    KimchiGoddess likes this.
  8. Healiez Augur

There are a few quests that give nice wis items as well.

Testament of Vanear
    Paw of Oppala

Those are two that come to mind real quick and are easily soloable in the midrange levels.
    minimind and code-zero like this.
  9. Bullsnooze Augur

It would be more beneficial to use Google Search and read the half trillion guides already written lol?
  10. Jaime Lannister Augur

Solo'able, sure. Testament certainly.

But I doubt someone in the midrange level is going to be able to compete with the 2x lvl 50's that will be sitting waiting for Gynok to spawn =p
    ForumBoss likes this.
  11. Fluid Augur

I just checked out my most recent Fluid the Druid and it is pretty much as expected. As others have said, you don't really need that much gear. I have found over time maxing cheap armor so you don't get thumped hard conserves manna that would go into healing. I typically run around w/o anything other then SoW and just don't get hit. This is just a current my druid as it is frequently different with a few essentials.

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=790 Because it is easy to get and I like str for carrying loot.

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=788 This is one of the other rewards from the bug collection quest. Normally I just buy all the components except a few oddballs like Giant fire beetle legs which drop in WK. I supply both wrist items to my other characters that need them too.

As mentioned above Testament of Vanear https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=2336 huge wisdom + some manna.

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=83387 hehe Fippy's Paw in range just because. Not a lot of druid items available in range and these are so common, they are frequently left to rot.

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=1966 Why I always go halfling so they can wear this. I also start a dwarf so I don't have to do faction work and just use the dwarf for the turn ins. You didn't mention race so...

Silver Jasper rings. Just start a Dark Elf Enchanter, run them up to Enchant Silver spell level, dump 20 points in training into jewel crafting. These commonly sell for 3-6 pp each, but I find it easier to just make them myself.

Silver Bloodstone earrings. Just because I kill a lot of stuff that drop bloodstones.

I have some other odd pieces of equipment like Whirling Onyx head slot and anti-poison amulet. Just things I picked up along the way. Everything else is just a mix of tattered, or leather. I do have some bear hide boots for the armor class because focus effects are still disabled. https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=677

Note that practically none of this is wis gear. I have ~4,000 pp on this character and could buy just about anything I need. I will get around to the face slot with a silver sapphire mask. I am just balking at paying ~100 pp/sapphire at the moment.

This is really just a detailed description of why people are telling you factors other then wisdom are important. For me, the single most overpowered item you can get in the game are the Bottle of Clarity packs you get from the DP Marketplace. It isn't about how much manna you have as you can pretty much kill anything in game solo with a naked character. It is about how much manna over time you get that is the rate limiting step. Damage mitigation is important since that which goes into healing does not go into killing.
  12. Lemerian Elder

Balk at 100pp/sapphire? That's less than vendor price. Even if you loot it yourself there's still the opportunity cost of not selling it. Doesn't make sense to balk at that price.
  13. Kodachi Augur

Never bothered to gear my druid till I hit ToV and only got resist stuff, he was a box, but still never really got a benefit out of upgrading his gear. I could still root rot or kite in skyfire and whatnot with him. Hell I solo'd tantor the day velious came out with him.

Without focus effects, all you do is add a little bit of mana and survivability, but not a lot. Not unless you can gear up really well.
  14. Fluid Augur

I found myself saying 'Ohwah Tago Siam" repeatedly. Try saying it out loud :) I figured you were right, my wis casters could really use a Silver Ruby Veil https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=1823 the Rubies are only ~131 pp and my jewelry Enchanter was already above the trivial. Four rubies, 520+ pp gone, no veils. It was an ouch moment.

So I goes to eq traders and run it though the calculator. Turns out chance of success was only 60% and the RNG just bit me hard. Having forgot more about jewel crafting then most people, I just used the guides at places like Almar's. Big mistake, the new guides assume you have ten thousand pp to throw at it. After blowing another 300 pp to get maybe 10 points in skill ups I finally recalled how it is done. So a total of 1200 pp down the drain I finally have two Silver Ruby Veils. I ran my skill up to 95+ chance of sucess and made two straight w/o problems. Life is hard, it is even harder when you are stupid. I could have bought something nice for that much pp, instead I get enough extra manna to cast 1/2 of a Stinging Swarm for 1,200pp.
  15. KimchiGoddess Augur

And how is it done? I usually use those guides too but don't have ten thousand plat to throw at it ;p
  16. Fluid Augur

About the same way as fetching choosing the least expensive combine that will give you a skill gain. eqtraders has a calculator that tells you the chance of success which is the key since you sell items back to the vendor. Almars for instance says to just use Electrum + Malachite to go from 21 to 74. Electrum is ~2.6pp per bar and you would probably need 100-300 combines. The chance of successful combine at 21 skill level is only 17% so you have nothing to sell back 83% of the time. Note that this is individual for each character as INT, Faction, and Charisma change prices and chance of success.

Easy way may not be the best, it is just the way I do it. Use the trade skill window sorted by difficulty/trivial. Chose the item easiest to make that still gives a chance of skill up i.e. if you have 34 skill, choose something with a trivial of 36. As soon as the gems required cost more then Electrum i.e. 2.6pp, switch to Electrum. I also use the vendor menu sorted by price to make it easy to find the next gem I need. There is probably a sweet spot in there I missed, but this strategy is pretty good. I think using the eqtraders calculator https://www.eqtraders.com/calculators/main.php?menustr=130000000000 will help if you want to find a better way of doing it.

I didn't have a lot of INT gear on my Enchanter and didn't bother to swap out CHR for INT after buying for better success rates. I think the highest success rate I could get was something like 67% at trivial so compared to the 17% on Almar's Electrum+Malachite, 4X the success rate for skill ups, less expensive for raw materials and many more items to sell back. Still costs a lot IMO since you have to be something like 30 points above trivial to get a 95% chance of success. I wasn't ready to burn anymore 130pp rubies making what I actually wanted so I ran skill up to high 90s. IIRC, even maxed you never get better then 98% chance of success just because that is the way the powers that be want it.

Something you can ignore and I invite people to do that with my posts anyway. :) At one time I thought it would be a good idea to use foraged Plains Pebbles for skill ups since my Druid and Ranger end up with hundreds of them. It turns out VI must of anticipated this and there is only one spot<?> that is only about 1 point of skill where you actually could save a buck doing it this way. I haven't looked into anything other then Karana imbued items so it is possible something like Cleric imbued ivory would be different. I seriously doubt there are any holes in the system that will allow cheap or significant skill gain.

I still need to make a str+int veils for my int casters. I may even hit a break even point between my accounts and characters.
    Tweakfour17 and KimchiGoddess like this.
  17. KimchiGoddess Augur

Thanks a bunch for the little mini guide. I spent the morning working on tradeskills and hit 153 smithing, don't think I can go further without farming for fine plate. The racial sewing kit skill ups hurt a bit too much plat-wise to continue them through until they're trivial.

Brewing hit 200, pottery to 107 thus far and tailoring lagging behind at 33. I wanted to jump into some jewel crafting but after your initial post I wanted a little more insight from you before I jumped in, appreciate it!

I do remember initially skilling fletching up like that back in the day, knowing it's pretty much a storebought path for a while I was waiting on that one.

Definitely want to get a coldain shawl on my TS character when Velious hits, don't have the fortitude to get it on all my casters ;p
  18. Tweakfour17 Augur

This is the way. Almar's guide is good for a "hit auto combine and watch it go" kind of leveling path. It's simple, but its not the most cost effective by far. I also found using enchanted metal improved the resale to a vendor so if you're doing JC on your chanter, or have access to a chanter give that shot.
  19. Fluid Augur

I'll give it a shot but there are a couple potential of pitfalls specific to my character. On Rizlona. I don't think the mass enchant spells are available. Obviously I could be wrong about this and just didn't notice. This left my character level 18 at the time with Enchant SIlver Spell taking 60 manna and only ~500 MP pool and Clarity doesn't come until the mid 20s.

I do have a Shaman with Alchemy so that is a bit of an excuse: I could just whip up some potions rather then make enough enchanted bars for ~8 combines, med to full, repeat. Probably could snag a Clarity spell cast on my character, probably could just go to Unrest for a couple of hours, etc, etc. Kind of why I try to tell people it is individual based on the character. I mean if I wanted to, I could of swapped out Charisma gear for Intelligence gear after making purchases. Another factor is my main only makes ~200pp an hour and I get tired of raking in the dough after several hours. I hope you see what I am getting at, that is do whatever your play style and character profile fits. I wasn't going to do 10 hours of money grubbing to use an expensive method to gain skill. I wasn't going to spend half my time in game medding to make IDK 20pp in extra sell back return. If I had Clarity and Mass Enchant Silver/Electrum spells, it may be different. Some people would just say go to Unrest to get to Clarity levels and don't start Jewel Crafting until a later expansion. I couldn't wait :)
  20. Tweakfour17 Augur

For sure man, needs to do what's right for you. I was just chiming in on the "cost effective" route vs the easier to follow guide that costs a bit.