Most people remember their first... do you?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Hayzeus, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Hayzeus Augur

I remember mine. It was Pong. Yes, the first video game I recall playing was Pong on our home television set. Having said that, I think Pong was likely first for a majority of people in my not-so-young age group.

So, what was your SECOND ever video game that you played? For me, it was either Bowling or Auto-Racing on our Intellivision set. I don't remember which we played first, but I recall these two games were in our initial purchase of the system (I was younger than 10, so the memories are fuzzy).

My firsts/seconds were mostly home-based just due to my age. I didn't get to go to video arcades until the early 80s, and I was already a home-based video-game junkie by that time.

I think the first actual RTS game I ever played was Utopia on our Intellivision. Oddly, almost 40 years later, I still fondly remember this game... and secretly wish I could actually play it again.

So what do you remember about your firsts and seconds?
    Andarriel likes this.
  2. Khat_Nip Meow

Pong was the first for me, as well. (State of the art!)

As for the second: Christmas Eve night my parents were sleeping and I knew they had all of our wrapped presents on the floor next to the head of their bed.
    I guess I couldn't wait until morning to know what I was getting so my little 8yo self slowly opened their door, very slowly crawled on my stomach to the present pile, grabbed mine and made my way back out.
    I took it into my room and opened it a little. It was the Atari 2600! I was super excited but I had to put it back so I taped it back up and successfully returned it the same way I had gotten it.
    I was such a ninja about it that they never knew what I had done.

The third system was one of the first IBM PCs and I remember playing King's Quest and one of the Ultimas. (I do not miss 5.25" floppies)
    Andarriel and Zamiam like this.
  3. Qbert Gallifreyan

Skiing and/or Blackjack - Intellivision

I got both of those at about the same time when I got the system, so first/second goes to them in a tie I guess.
    Andarriel likes this.
  4. Zamiam Augur

Pong was my first also , and I still have my pong . my second was my Atari 2600( still also have) go missile command.. my first quest game "roleplaying" was on my old 286x called "kings quest" I remember the game had like 6 or 8 5 1/4 in floppy discs and everytime you hit a zone border you had to keep switching the floppys out for another disc lol .. those were the days ..
    Andarriel likes this.
  5. Tucoh Augur

6. svann Augur

Pong was first. Second was probably Tetris or asteroids.

First on a real computer was Hack.
  7. Shanarias Augur

Wow! Pong for sure was first.
    Not counting Arcades, the next one was Commander Keen!
  8. Parker Elder

Only read title but..

Ohh Lisa Swanson, it was a hot August night in the mid to late 80s in the back of my brothers busted Plymouth Horizon and boy let me tell you, I was top of the DPS charts that night if ya know what I mean ;)
    Tucoh likes this.
  9. Febb Augur

I remember when I had my first beer.
  10. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I think the first computer-game I tried was "The great giana sisters" on a Commodore 64. "Montezuma's revenge" (also on C64) was the second... :)
    Andarriel likes this.
  11. Bubossi New Member

Adventure on a Decsystem-20
  12. Thash Zoner

A little car racing game on a calculator watch.
  13. Nennius Curmudgeon

First: PONG with sliders on a band trip in 1974. Second: Space Invaders in 1978 at Aztec Center at SDSU. As an add-on, the first computer game I played was the mainframe version of Zork on a PDP-11 in college. Good times.
  14. ptah Augur

Nightstocker something like that' football game, space invaders. Was my first, no; older sister playing and had unplugged in control. Admit i had just as much fun thinking i was playing.

good ole 5 pixel days. Pure fun.
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

First video-game of any kind I ever saw was Space-Invaders cabinet at the local Fish 'n Chips takeaway sometime in 1979, I would like to say I held the high-score but I would be lying, I was on the leader-board by the end of my first play though & by then the chips I had bought were no longer hot.
  16. Bigstomp Augur

I'm not sure about what is exactly the first.
    I'm sure it was Asteroids, but was not a game I played really.
    Games I actually played enough to be good at:
    Commando, Moon Cresta.

A quarter was always good for about 4 hours of Commando. Beat the game about twice before I died.
    (not the best game, but 4 hours for 25 cents was pretty good bang for your buck as a kid)
  17. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Wish I would of kept all my c64 stuff greatest system ever! pong was first for me. parents got us a Atari 2600 and they got a intellavison. Some good memories.

Andarriel

ps my favorite c64 game is still and will always be mule its like the 1st multiplayer game and a blast on the c64.
    Jumbur likes this.
  18. Act of Valor The Newest Member

I was introduced to gaming at a very young age from my father on an Apple IIGS. I only have vague memories of the first games I played, but the one that stands out is Dungeon Master. It was a first person grid based RPG and I still play through it every year or so. It's still my favorite subgenre of game to this day. It's similar to the Grimrock games, if you've played those.

I remember hiding under the desk when my dad fought the dragon because I was scared of it.
  19. Flatchy Court Jester

Hmmm my Verti bird and Evil knievel stunt cycle dont count eh. Well then Pong of course. First stand up arcade game would be space invaders probably cuz that was the first one out unless im mistaken. Played em all. Best one ever DEFENDER!
  20. Jumbur Improved Familiar

My first PC game was Eye of the Beholder, which is similar. One of my all time favorites, I still replay the Eye of the Beholder trilogy in dosbox, from time to time. :)