Any reason to do quest parts that are only dialogue?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by C3lowz, Jul 16, 2020.

1. C3lowz Augur

tl;dr. is there any reason to follow quest dialogue?

So just something I am curious on, not really a TLP specific question, but TLP's are all I play on in current day EQ.

Is there any reason to do the quest portions that are strictly dialogue?

For instance, this quest (which btw is an easy, awesome secondary for Wis other than the 1 headache 7 hour camp)

https://wiki.project1999.com/Library_Book

To sum it up, if followed step by step it says to speak with 3 different NPC's in Erudin. Followed by going to Qeynos to find an NPC and giving him 2 Gold to receive the first quest piece.

Then states to head to Highkeep and speak to an NPC. Followed by going to an NPC in Highpass to begin the actual annoying par of the quest.

After killing the 7 hour camp NPC you go back to the NPC in Qeynos, give him 4 gold and receive a playing card, cycle through giving him 4 Gold until he gives you a specific card. Give him the card he'll give you a piece of paper, combine the paper he gave you + the paper you looted in Highpass and receive the reward.

I did this quest before on Mangler and thought going from NPC to NPC to just get information was pointless. So this time around I camped the NPC in Highpass first, got the paper. Wen't to the NPC in Qeynos, gave him 2 Gold to get the container. Gave him 4 Gold and got the card, gave him the card, received the paper, combined and done. So essentially all that NPC hailing was completely pointless. Why is this? Is this just the Lore portion of the game and does not really hold any value unless you get a kick out of lore?
  2. Accipiter Old Timer

Sometimes it's just lore, but in the early days all that text hinted at what was to be done next. Once quests were solved, it became just spam.

In some cases, you have to go through a quest NPCs entire dialogue.
  3. Qbert Gallifreyan

It really depends on the quests. In some cases, the mere act of talking to the npc correctly is what provides a flag to advance the quest. Most of the time, no, you can just do the turn-ins and skip the rest . . . but you miss out on the story.

Once you get to later eras, the quest window arrives and some steps are specifically met by hailing npcs or saying something specific to npcs, etc.
  4. Auesheet Lorekeeper

Sometimes all the hails are required as you get a hidden "flag" from the dialogue. I think the bard epic has something like this in it where you won't actually get the item you need unless you do some dialogue with an NPC.
  5. Timgrok New Member

If it doesn’t directly result in farming krono to RMt in order to pay your rent, most people will just skip that part.
  6. Kiaro Augur

Its a RPG...

Dude probably rolls into English class "WORDS?! THE PICTURE TELLS ME WHATS GOING ON!"
    WaitingforMoreEQ likes this.
  7. Koniku Elder

There are parts of the BiC quest where your turn in will get eaten if you haven't gone through the dialogue. Be careful friends
  8. Kiaro Augur

'How is this possible? You couldn't have done this without some kind of trickery! I'm going to alert the appropriate authorities!'

Mmm yeah, pre hand ins to receive "identical but not" items back for GoD progression...
  9. C3lowz Augur

I'm sorry if my question offended you. I was simply wondering if this is actually a requirement. I in fact do read and and pay close attention to all Lore.

I did this quest already on Mangler. However curiosity peaked and I wondered what if I just skipped all the dialogue that provided no item, and sure enough it worked. Came here to ask my question. Forgot people like you exist.

But hey thanks for just jumping to assumptions about someone @&*!bag.
  10. Pumpernickel Lorekeeper

It depends on the kind of player you want to be. Recently as I am sure you have heard one of the longest unsolved quests was finally solved by an intrepid streamer. Guard Nash's head. Only through a complete immersion in the game's lore and a full understanding and interaction with all quests dialog was he capable of doing something which for years people claimed was impossible.
  11. RandomStrategy Augur

[IMG]
  12. KimchiGoddess Augur

Out of curiousity can anyone tell me if this quest is doable by dark elves?
  13. Protagonist Tank

Pizza cutter comment.
  14. Captain Video Augur

I have never played a Dark Elf, but the Testament (quest reward) is all/all, so I don't see any reason why a Dark Elf couldn't do it, subject to faction in Erudin.
  15. KimchiGoddess Augur

Yeah that's my only question, I've got an inny loving cleric so I'm not sure if I'd be able to pull that off faction wise ;p
  16. Captain Video Augur

Personally, I would never consider giving up my secondary slot for +10 Wis, especially not for a class that can bash. But Classic is full of items like this one which do give players a chance to try different builds at below-50 levels, provided of course they haven't already raced to 50. :)
  17. Ecko Elder

I did it on my DE cleric on Cornaiv, just gotta be careful camping Dyllin Starshine as you'll be KoS in HH and to the smugglers around where he spawns. There is a particularly nasty one from what I remember, but the Dyllin was easy enough for a level 40 SK & Clerc. Then it was waiting until Moodoro Finharm was outside the pub in Qeynos to hand him the gold for the container & card. Cloudy potions helped a lot ;p
    KimchiGoddess likes this.
  18. Healiez Augur

Until update flags are a thing you can skip A LOT of old world quest busy work, and just do final turnins. That is, unless previous turn ins give items required for later turn ins. Very few quests have been retroactively changed, and tbh the only one I can think of is the shaman epic 1.0.
  19. Xhartor Augur

Most of the quests in classic are just dialog letting you know what needs to be done. Which means it can be skipped. However some quests use dialog to turn a different turn in NPC, or grant faction rewards, as the game progresses flags come into play and the quest windows. Allah write up will generally warn you if something special is required.