Potential Offensive name

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Emmettsdad, Jul 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emmettsdad New Member

A friend of mine and I were in gl last night/ this morning and she pointed out a toon with a potential offensive name. (she certainly was) how do you properly report it with screenshot?
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

To report a violation of our Rules of Conduct, please use the /report <playername> feature to capture any chat that proves any violations against our policies and/or harassment as it is happening. Additionally, we also request that players use the /ignore <playername> feature to put the offending player on ignore.
    The report command only captures up to 20 lines of visible chat, so you may need to scroll up so that it is visible in your report. Be sure that you're executing the command in the chat window in which the chat is visible.
    We do not directly receive the reports so it is important to both /report and submit a support ticket to let us know about the situation. The more quickly you /report and submit a ticket, the higher chance we have of catching the offenders in action in-game.
    With the continued efforts of the player base reporting such violators, the better chance we have of catching them and employing disciplinary action where needed.

From https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/e...-How-do-I-report-toxic-behavior-in-EverQuest-
    Dythan likes this.
  3. Drencrom Beimeith's Supervisor

I'd say to tell your kindergarten teacher, but class is out for the summer. Maybe see if mom can make some calls?
  4. Flatchy Court Jester

What did someone use the name Joe Biden?
    Minrye and disclose like this.
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

LOL that is funny the childish one is projecting :)
    Nennius likes this.
  6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

As far as a naming issue goes you do not have to do a /report if they didn't actually say anything offensive. If you think the name itself violates the naming policy which is linked here
    https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/230628107-What-is-the-EverQuest-Naming-Policy-

Then open a petition and let them know the name, its spelling and how you think it violates the naming policy. They will review and make their own decision.

A screenshot isn't needed although it could be helpful in ensuring the name is spelled correctly. Daybreak can look up any toons name if they have the spelling.

A /report won't hurt but it is used to capture something the person said.
    Fenthen and Nennius like this.
  7. disclose Buffz, slowz, & healz.

I've never read it before until today, it's odd to say the least. Some stuff made me laugh. :)
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

You mean like listing the generic religious stuff they could use etc?
  9. Minrye New Member

You know what else is childish? Being this upset about the name of some pixels in a game. I bet you take notes on your neighbors activities.
    FubarEQ and SmellyFinger like this.
  10. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

LOL. This really upsets you I see.

Yeah I guess common courtesy can be a problem with some folks. Actually having limits in how you can act in public areas whether it is a game or elsewhere is just part of society and folks getting along.

Words matter though. Not sure why you can't understand that.

Go ahead and swear up a storm on the forums... oh wait you can't because of forum rules. I guess daybreak must be taking notes on their neighbours. :)
    Duder, Marton and Nennius like this.
  11. disclose Buffz, slowz, & healz.

Well it mentioned "Stalin" under the religious/occult stuff. I almost snorted when I read that. lol
  12. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Heh heh.... yeah not sure how relevant that is these days.
  13. Minrye New Member

Look who's projecting now.
  14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

LOL.
  15. disclose Buffz, slowz, & healz.

Gentlemen, does this need to be brought to the arena? LOL
    andross77 likes this.
  16. Minrye New Member

Not sure why you can't understand I don't need or want people like you to decide what might be potentially offensive to me, or anyone else. Quick, I think your neighbor threw away some corrugated packaging better go call it in!
  17. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Ummm Daybreak is deciding what might be offensive. No player has any right to decide that as far as Daybreak is concerned.

Daybreak actually lists what THEY consider to be offensive. Daybreak decides what they will allow you to name yourself. Go hate on them.

Just like in RL you cant be served in some places no shoes no shirt no mask no service. And yeah those places have a right to tell you to do that. *shrugs* Not sure what else to say if logic doesn't work.

I don't mind talking to you though so happy to keep up the dialogue :)
    Nennius likes this.
  18. Minrye New Member

Oh, so you work for them like a language cop or something? Perceived offense investigator on other's behalf? How's that pay?
  19. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Hmmmm? No... well for a while I did act as a Guide so I guess for a while that was a yes. But that was many years ago. So yeah that just got me one play account for free. Dunno if they still do that. But yeah I handled a lot of bad names back then so I did work as a name cop for them for a while.

I ascribe to the one piece of trash theory though. I think it goes the same with names.

https://freakonomics.com/2012/07/20/garbage-and-the-herd-mentality/

I have no problem with anyone reporting any of my toon names. Of course I abide by the rules. Its not actually hard to do at all and usually takes more effort to create a name that is objectionable by Daybreak.

Personally I am not that easily offended by EQ names. I do prefer ones that stick with a fantasy theme and wish there were less immersion breaking ones but I would never try to prevent folks from using them.

BUT

I don't just think about me. I think about all the other players out there. What goes on in private chats, discord channels, guild chats is up to those involved. I don't care what they are like. I do think public channels and publicly viewable things should have some sort of standard though and apparently so does Daybreak. I keep my guilds chat clean because then I am sure everyone is comfortable with the guild chat. I dunno instead of thinking of what is just best for me I consider everyone else to. I mean does it really hurt someone not to be able to name their toon after a ladies body part? *shrugs*

It's funny but the ones who complain about "their" freedoms being infringed upon are usually the ones who don't care about anyone else.

I also think it is sort of childish to agree to a games rules then complain when the rules are enforced. But that might just be me.

I mean is it really that hard to make a name that Daybreak will accept?
    Duder and Veteran_BetaTester like this.
  20. Nennius Curmudgeon

It depends upon what they are doing. We had a family selling drugs and guns where I used to live. I did report that. I would again TBH.

The question of what is offensive lies with the owners of the game. We can think whatever we want, but it isn't our decision to make. Most of us, I suspect just kind of live, and let live in most cases.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.