ROS raid diamonds vs TBL/TOV nuggets

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fian, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Fian Augur

In ROS, raid diamonds dropped so you could make 3 Tradeskill items of your choice. In TBL/TOV they streamlined it so you didn't have to arrange for a tradeskiller to loot for you to make the item that you wanted. However, there was one big difference between ROS and the other expansions. With a ROS raid diamond you could make a piece of gear that was better than group gear, but less than the other raid gear. So a raid diamond BP was not as good as if you looted a BP in a raid chest. Raid diamonds were used as a bridge until you could get the better raid gear.

With TBL/TOV, the tradeskill gear is the best. So, the entire focus is getting the muhbis/nuggets, and the other raid drops are viewed as bridge gear until you can get enough nuggets.

Which way does everyone prefer? TS gear being the best, or a bridge until you can loot the actual raid drops?
    minimind and Skuz like this.
  2. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

I think having the TS gear be a step below normal Raid drops was the more appropriate concept. Previously if you wanted the BiS for every slot you needed to beat every Raid since certain slots were locked behind certain raids. With the new concept you can farm nothing but T1 raids and never touch T2 or T3 and still end up with BiS for every slot just using the diamonds/ore.
    Skuz and Yinla like this.
  3. Fenthen aka Rath

Tanks should definitely focus on getting DVONs, as well as melees for their weapons. Everyone else, imo, are optional - the difference between T1 and T2 raid gear is rather minimal, so you're wanting to inspect any differences in foci, clicky effects, modifiers (like backstab damage) and so on, before committing to purchasing a nuggie for 276 versus a regular raid item for 240.

Unless of course, you're just drowning in raid loot.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It won't be possible to more than a couple people in full ts gear if all you do is T1 raids.
  5. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I preferred the RoS model where the TS gear was the cheap bridging gear, But I disliked that you needed the crafter to loot for you, if you couldn't craft it yourself though.

When the non-crafted gear is the BIS-option, you are slightly more involved in the bidding process, as it is more uncertain that the item you are after, is present in the next chest.
    In tov you know that if you don't bid for it in this raid, you can always get the nugget at the next raid. It removes some of the tension... I miss that tension tbh! :)
    scaethach, minimind and Skuz like this.
  6. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

Sure, you won't be able to gear the entire raid farming just a few events but you can still end up with players getting a full set of BiS and never step foot in any of the hard raids.
  7. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Vastly, vastly prefer RoS method.

Having the entire raid all wanting a single BiS thing for every slot that drops 1-2 times per raid is poor design, imo.
    minimind and Skuz like this.
  8. Rylak Elder

Under normal circumstances, I would agree with this. However, with the significant increase in coin awarded, any decisions around one path (TS) vs the other (non-TS) are moot at this point. You can now buy anything and everything (or both!) since the Raid Vendor also offers both options.

Its just so much loot now, that preference over either path doesn't matter anymore.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Not many as you would think though since every player requires 22 nuggets and you will probably get around 70 from drops and 10 from currency if you just clear T1 raids every week depending on when the currency and nugget drop increases all go in. If you funnel all the drops to get someone maxed you will have a group and change fully geared at the end of the year.

If you have a group that could clear T1 from the start of the expansion but not do T2/T3 at all (why else wouldn't they be clearing it) I would question the difficulty of T2/T3 raids.
  10. Rylak Elder

You're way too high on that number. More like ~15. 4TBL + 1 TOV evolves plus many priests/casters taking dropped items for some slots who min/max stat modifiers (HA/SD). Don't really need the extras to merge luck since you only need to hit 110 (can't move beyond 115)
    Cuuthbert and Yinla like this.
  11. Jumbur Improved Familiar

True! The increased coin have changed the entire bidding dynamic for me. I pretty much just bid on spells now, and just slowly save up enough coins for nuggets. I should have plenty before next expansion, just doing this... Not really sure how I feel about that tbh...:confused:
  12. Spankage Elder

The ROS method was vastly preferred, if we HAVE to have TS armor at all...(I personally don't understand why its necessary other than "look there's more than one tier of gear!").

Funneling the BIS for every class for nearly every slot into TS bricks is silly.
    Yinla likes this.
  13. Fian Augur

Apparently I am not the only one. I prefer the RoS method, although I am happy they improved it so you don't have to have a TS person loot a diamond. Of course, the drawback of this approach is as a melee class, the weapon you need might be locked in a raid your raid force can't beat. So you are stuck with the lesser TS raid weapon. On the other hand, you will be much more thrilled when your raid force finally does beat it.
    Yinla likes this.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You are assuming that everyone has those evolvers and that the dropped items are from T1 raids. Even with farming it full time you are not going to get as many nuggets as you think.
  15. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

I like the ts rout as that's how I make good pp in the baz plus im a non raider lol ;P

Andarriel
  16. minimind The Village Idiot

I prefer the RoS method as well... especially because I'm a tradeskiller and caught on earlier than most that I could get all my necessary focus (fero, cleave, throwing) and clickies with diamonds before most got the a couple pieces of dropped armor.

Personally, I think this method could be improved by using currency to offer the best in slot. In an expansion with two distinct tiers of raiding difficulty....

• T3/Chase: Weapons, Clickies, Mounts, Augs -- Accessible only after completing the final raid and only using currency.
    • T2: Ready-to-Wear Gear & Weapons
    • T1: TS'd Nugget Gear & Weapons
    I throw in the the "T3/Chase" bit because of the (very welcomed) 6-month enhanced rewards which have people building up currency but with nothing to spend it on. Make it 1,500 credits or something for the tip-top weapon or a mount. Less for a great aug.
    Jumbur and Yinla like this.
  17. Lianeb Augur

The best part of the RoS model was that the wearable TS Group gear upgraded to the Raid stuff.

Right now if you have a TS group geared toon you have to make all the items over again to upgrade to the raid variant.
  18. Ngreth Thergn Developer

I can do something about this.
    Not sure I want to, but I can.

One method. The TS ore is an upgrade on the raid drop. So you still have to get the raid drop first. This is the most transparent.
    Second method. Use requirements of raid completion to be able to make the combine. This is more difficult to message to y'all.
  19. svann Augur

Blame sokki
    Coagagin and Sokki like this.
  20. Froglok Augur

Or Method 3 -- leave existing set up as is. If any changes for the TS being the best gear is decided, then apply it in future individual expansion(s).
    smash likes this.