Drowning in TOV loot

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Maedhros, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Cadira Augur

....wait, you can't complete the content and you think you are entitled to the same rewards as a guild that can?
  2. Tucoh Augur

EQ currently doesn't have a serious raiding scene or endgame, so the gearing doesn't need to he any different.

Maybe the next expansion will be different?
  3. svann Augur

That was just that one guild afaik. And they know better now.
  4. Darchon_Xegony Augur

The extra loot from chests and extra currency from raids is an absolute necessity on TLP servers. When you are doing content for only 1 to 2 maybe 2.5 months at a time before the next expansion, you need to have more access to loot so that your 54 man raid guild doesn't fall behind on gear or be required to funnel all your gear to tanks to proceed.

I am not sure why they decided to push these changes to live servers who see the content for a full year (4-6x longer than TLP servers). My assumption is they did this because there are so many complaints about "stop ruining our servers due to those TLP scum" type posts, and they figured they would give live servers a rare bonus from a TLP sourced change by offering extra loot and currency to live servers as well. I don't think they in their wildest dreams would've imagined players would be creating posts complaining about the extra loot.

Goes to show they can't ever avoid complaints about any changes they make.

If loot is taking too long to sort out maybe they should make all raid loot Attunable so raid leaders can grab everything and distribute it after the fact. Alternatively it would be nice to be able to send loot from raid chests via parcel and limit them to being claimed for 15min after being sent otherwise they "rot", would be a good way of avoiding playing musical chairs with DZ slots and raid swaps to get people into instances for looting, which consumes a lot of time. Another neat idea would be the ability to add the chest loot for any raid chest to a temporary section of the Guild Bank and allow them to remain there for 24hours for distribution before "rotting".
    Fenthen likes this.
  5. Tucoh Augur

Attunable loot would be great.

One guild could gear an entire server by popping loot pinatas all year. I could upgrade my alts right from Snowbound to raid gear with not much more $$$.
  6. Kuaamil Elder

Almost all the mains are geared out, so most of this loot is going to alts. Do you realize how long it takes to get 12-15 alts (gear+spells) into and out of a raid to loot in addition to the time it takes to distribute/award this loot? That's where the headache is coming from.
    Cadira, Marquele and Allayna like this.
  7. Cicelee Augur

I always felt that this is when a guild would allow your alt to raid instead of the main. If my main is fully decked out, and my alt meets certain requirements such as AA and baseline AC/HP/mana considerations, and the raid still has enough tanking and DPS and healing and other things to be successful, then why not?

I understand that very few would do so. I just never understood the why.
  8. Triconix Augur

The lack of foresight in this post is mind boggling. Ever thing about future tuning? If devs create content with the assumption that almost all guilds - whether they are good enough to beat ToV or not - has full raid gear, and their alts alts have it as well, what is going to stop them from upping the tuning of group content? That's going to cause huge backlash within the casual community.

Same can be said with raid content. You're in for a nightmare in all your shiny ToV gear with raids being tuned through the roof. I'm talking SoD to UF type nightmare. A guild buster expansion that would have major impacts on the survival of this game. No amount of raid gear is going to help when you're just not good enough to beat even the easiest expansion in the last decade.

You want a loot pinata expansion? Expect things to be tuned higher to account for this influx of gear throughout the entire community. That means more intricate mechanics that nullifies any increase in gear and skill would be the reign supreme, higher melee and spell damage raid intake, faster timers, etc.
    Ownlei and Allayna like this.
  9. Pawtato Augur

Guaranteed, next expansion is going to be ramped up in difficulty.
    Fenthen and svann like this.
  10. Allayna Augur

I wish I could super like.

In expansions that have this loot pinata mind set with very little actual mechanical challenge and guilds are stomping through content that....typically don't, expect next year to be a guild killer year.

GoD, UF for sure. And I welcome it. Mearatas was a great raid, was in a great position as the last target, gave top guilds something to strive for (clout/achievements for evolving gear) but didn't block any of the "casual" raiding guilds from seeing the rest of the expansions content.

I honestly would prefer that the gap was closed in focus between raid and group gear, like ferocity, cleave, enhanced minion etc. than giving away raid loot to 5th string alts.

Breaking half a million in hp on raids for tanks is going to equate to harder hitting mobs, more "twitch-like" reaction in an older population, and mobs that quad for 200K/swing just to be challenging.
  11. Dhurgan Augur

What is it they say about raiding, "Get Guud"? I guess same applies for awarding loot, Get Guud.
  12. The real Sandaormo Augur

I don't have alts. I have 2 back up toons in case Warrior doesn't work out for me.
  13. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

I don't care about too much loot, really. Its all alt loot at about the same point this year as last, its just right as we hit that point the loot blew up so instead of adding a couple alts every chest we're adding 5-6. Annoying when people can't do it fast, I get that for sure. Why I would rather they just pass dz lead to an alt and have everyone else drop (of course...people have to do that), then let the people with alts get their own in while we're running to, getting, starting the next event.

But who knows if it would actually be faster.

My fear is that this is SoD 2.0.

In SoD (Seeds of Destruction) we saw the level cap raise from 80 to 850. We saw a pretty freaking huge jump in gear stats, both raid and group (especially group) gear, but the bigger thing was the gear became MUCH easier to get via easy group content AND easy raid content.

Stuff was blown through and so easy we got "hard mode" raids, which was just the same raids with 36 limit, but the funny thing is, even guilds way down the ranks had no problem with the 36 limit in terms of beating events they could already beat. If they could beat the event, they would do both. Not counting the drama issues for some guilds sitting people/classes for those, this flooded even MORE gear.

We had an expansion where a LOT more guilds beat the expansion or beat most of it compared to SoF. It was also a level increase quickly (like this one was) compared to prior increases.

Remember that the devs typically don't do well with gauging difficulty for level increase expansions. They typically end up easier than average.

So the next (non-level increase) expansion comes along and:

1) They get balance better, so things are harder
    2) They over-react to how easy the last one was, so things are harder
    3) Guilds that were clearing the prior expansion (who considered themselves now "end game raiders" as we used to call those guilds that beat an expansion prior to the next release) found they couldn't beat much (or in some cases ANY) raids
    4) People quit, guilds collapsed, at a - relatively - accelerated rate

So, as much as I (personally) loved Underfoot, is this game really positioned well for Underfoot 2.0?
  14. Duder Augur

The doubling of the chests compounded by increased currency rewards has ruined the allure of loot for me. It made all loot unspecial. I like loot, heck I love loot. I like working for it though, that is part of the allure. Overly-easy raids diminished interest as it were for me and coupled with the complete destruction of the value of loot, EQ has lost much of its draw for me. I'm holding on to hope that the next expansion will have any interesting content.
    Celephane and PMDrepit like this.
  15. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

The extra loot is helpful in a few ways, it makes it feasible for main changes, new apps can be kitted out quickly, alts get some new toys. Even our social members are starting to see a few nice bits, stuff the alts don't want! Mainly hands and boots. :)

Having dealt with a few issues over loot recently I think it has gone a bit OTT, half of the extra loot might have been more reasonable also adding spells and ornaments to the raid vendor instead of the extra drops.

I hope this doesn't change before the end of the expansion so everyone gets a change to get a few nice drops for alts and those open guilds get some nice upgrades for those who do not have much time to log in .

But please don't do the same thing next expansion. :)
    Duder likes this.
  16. Triconix Augur

This is how I feel. It's such a dichotomy now compared to older EQ, which you can see in TLP. The loot felt earned and you weren't always guaranteed to get something each week. Heck, sometimes you went months without seeing an item you wanted/needed. But when you got it, boy did it feel good. It may have even been too extreme at times - a handful of loots for a 72 man raid. It's even more pronounced in TLP where the content is only lasting 3-6 months most.

I said it recently, the amount of loot in modern EQ raids is what older EQ raids should've had and the amount of loot in older raids is what modern should have. Currency has minimized the need for large loot chests. Larger loot chests would be beneficial in expansions prior to raid currency.
    Celephane and Duder like this.
  17. Allayna Augur

Absolutely.

Add to the above sentiment that UNIQUE items should drop from a raid chest, not all of them, but maybe the boss of an expansion should see some uniqueness.

Nothing game breaking, not like a new twin cast clickie or anything, but something desirable for convenience.
    Duder and Triconix like this.
  18. Maedhros High King

I'm gonna need you guys to stop spammin out the thread unless you like the OP!
  19. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

We've had conversations in guild and it's split what the opinion is as far as no difficulty change and incoming Underfoot 2.0.

I'm leaning on no difficulty change likely because of it's impact on Subs and Expac sales. It could be viewed as "better for the game".
  20. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Its not as if the devs generally try and make things harder or easier. It is almost entirely a consequence of bad tuning, lack of time, bad decisions, and ignoring feedback, or just mechanics that they rotate in that are easier or harder in general.

When they do, its probably mostly unconscious after hearing all year "this is too easy!" or "this is too hard!".

Its not a nefarious plot. The bean counters aren't coming to them saying "make it easy! people will pay us more!", they have no context to evaluate that. The devs just try and make the content.