What are your experiences in ToV as a casual player?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by bortage, Jul 9, 2020.

1. bortage spammin lifetaps

I wanna know what it's like for people below the "I breathe EQ" threshhold, it seems like a decent, fairly accessible expansion that's good for catching up but I feel that way from the perspective of someone with a good support network and having come in to the expansion with a solid foundation of every AA and a bunch of gear so I feel like that may have tainted my perspective somewhat
    winspearean and Petalonyx like this.
  2. Ibudin Augur

One of the best expacs for casuals hands down. Great quest lines - 10% aug is really nice, which can get to a respectable level with out raiding ( I forget is it 7%?). The earing quest, well done and thought out in my opinion, as your working the quest, you get the ability to make your own power sources and augs..that alone won me over. Also one of the easiest, loot filled expansions that I can remember. Who doesn't like a winterized expac in the dead of summer to play?
    Marton, Petalonyx, Yinla and 3 others like this.
  3. Kelset Elder

I 5-box but don't raid so not sure if that qualifies as casual or not for what you're asking but I've really enjoyed the expansion. The content is doable (I only have Velks and Kael group missions yet to beat) and I like the idea of vendor/drop/tradeskill combo's to upgrade to the t3 gear. Being able to do the progression without specific mission road blocks that prevent you from doing the next zone has been nice as well. The anti-box (or pro live player content depending on your view) hasn't been over-the-top either. My only complaint is it's probably a bit thin on content for me but that's a minor one. Overall I'm very happy and hope they are doing others in the same manner as this one.
  4. Nadisia Augur

Ibudin summed it up.
    Great expansion for filthy casuals (pitchforks down, please, I'm a filthy casual too hehe).

My only complain : too shiny, everywhere. This expansion kills my poor eyes.

And lag, crashes, scheduled downtimes ™ and so on, but it's not expansion related, it's just because the servers do run on toasters, mopeds, or even a solex :D
    Yinla likes this.
  5. Jumbur Improved Familiar

As a soloer(wiz), who returned in eok/ros-raid-gear, there wasn't a lot in tov I could manage without a group. Some of the stuff was kite-able in the outdoor zones, but apart from that there wasn't much to do...(some mobs hit kinda hard).

Grouping was ok though. :)
  6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION.

It started out not that great for casuals. Over time as they made adjustments it is much better but at this point in the expansion I see folks trying to do progression now having problems finding groups who want to do progression missions over. You do them once get the big exp bonus and then there really is no reason do do the majority of them over at this point in time.

It is also the summer slow down now though so maybe grouping for those that still need to do ToV Progression will pick up in the fall.

About the only change I would have made is allowing grinding exp to be a viable way to get to 115 from 110. I know exactly how much effort grinding the way took because I did over 3 levels that way. Adding large exp boosts for doing progression the first time was a nice idea I am just not sure why it had to be at the expense of the grinding path. And as groups dry up the grinding path is one some may have to take.
    BadPallyGuildLeader likes this.
  7. Heajol Augur

Well .. TOV has helped me go from a filthy casual to an "almost raid ready" status. So big thumbs up from me. The way that TOV seems easier than TBL I think makes it a lot easier to "catch up". My group geared paladin can also tank a bit with just barely over auto grant AA and TOV T1 gear in most slots. She's catching up too. However, I haven't tried tanking named with her yet!
  8. Sobmre Augur

as a casual player i find tinder to be helpful but the good old super confident at the bar always works good too.
  9. Tatanka Joe Schmo

One could argue that Overseer takes care of that. (full disclosure, no ToV here, been 110 for a while, etc. However, I intend to get ToV when the half-price offer comes up in Nov., and it appears that I can use Overseer to get to 115 in what will be a shorter time-frame than just doing it either through grinding or from following progression*).

* - that's quicker for ME vs. doing progression. Admittedly, people who are well geared, have lots of in-game friends, and do it when the content is new can do all that progression pretty quickly. That's not me ;)
  10. Sazxus New Member

It was ok, but there's nothing very special about any of it. I feel like they had an opportunity to do some really cool stuff with these zones and just didn't have the man power, or desire to do so.I really wanted to spend more time in ToFS and Velks but after the day or two it takes to do the quest in them, there was no reason to go back. I guess ultimately for me I'd have enjoyed more zone quest , or unique items to camp, Illusions etc, Not the cut and paste crap that's the same items with different names in every zone. The Fact that DB allows obvious bot groups to camp locations 24/7, and does nothing about it is one of the worst parts of ToV that I'll always remember when i think back on the expansion.

11. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Thing is I havent played eq for 21 years so I could play some overseer game :)
    Tarvas likes this.
  12. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Then play it and stop whining about it.

Exp is perfectly fine from 110-115. The levels are supposed to take longer. You get 4 freaking AA a kill solo in most zones, the exp is perfectly normal. The levels just are no longer the joke they have been.
    Celephane, Ssdar and Petalonyx like this.
  13. Pawtato Augur

Level bump expansions are bad. New levels don't add anything interesting, they just force to regain that same level of power.
    Tucoh likes this.
  14. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Yeah, and?

I don't like level increases because you lose relevant content. Doesn't have anything to do with the comments he keeps making on any thread related to ToV experience.
  15. Tatanka Joe Schmo

So, what's your point? If doing on one account, you can do Overseer in about 10 minutes a day. So, you'll still be playing EQ. If you CHOOSE not to play Overseer, then you're giving up a very useful mechanism for players to catch up.

Seriously, do you ever take med breaks, or wait for groupmates to show up? Just sneak in a little bit here and there. The benefits will pile up before you know it.
  16. Petalonyx Augur

ToV unlocks all of TBL for the casual player! Two expansions in one!
  17. Velisaris_MS Augur

If they would simply put xp back on the merc tasks, like they used to do, I think the grinding problem would take care of itself. Have them give out a standard percentage of xp, maybe 1 percent, then between that and Overseer, grinding wouldn't be that bad.
    Riou and Yinla like this.
  18. minimind The Village Idiot

I don't know if I'm considered "casual". I'm sure I'd be considered casual by those in raid guilds and "not-casual" by people who have never raided, so here's a quick context check:
    1. I've played this berserker for many years. I know a lot, but I don't know everything.
    2. The first expansion I ever completed (group stuff) was EoK and that was during TBL.
    3. During TBL, I got into a regular 2x per night group and was able to complete EoK.
    4. During ToV, our group completed RoS, TBL, and ToV.
    5. I reached Max AA for the first time ever during ToV.
    6. I'm part of a casual raid alliance on Luclin (*cough* Stromm). The raid I attend is currently in VP in RoS and I raid one night per week.
    7. I keep raid focii in my ranged, hand, arm, leg slots. Everything else is usually group gear. My weapon is the best ratio to which I have access.
    8. I care enough about being a good zerk that I make spreadsheets to figure out augs, gear, and even teach others how to zerk guud n e'rythang.
    9. I disappeared for two years and returned after the TBL launch.
    My review of ToV:
    • I wouldn't have been able to jump into TBL without gearing up in GMM.
    • The transition to ToV was easy with GMM gear and T2/T3 TBL group gear.
    • My group (SK, Bard, Ranger, Cleric, Zerk, Druid or Necro) learned most of the content with relative ease and put a couple missions on farm status early on.
    • There were a few tasks that felt like intentional time sinks (dervishes in the Great Divide caves), but overall, it was a very doable expansion at our level of gear and competency.
    • I'm very sick of all the ice/whiteness.
    • Having a bard's double-invis felt like a necessity most of the time.
    • Named spawns are ridiculously low probability. We've spent hours camping named in a single night (for Hunter) and not gotten a single pop. And that's keeping 6+ placeholders in complete lockdown. They're so rare, I think I only got a single Crystallized Velium Ore from a non-mission named.
    • Progression through the zones was much clearer than TBL (which is appreciated).
    Lubianx and Yinla like this.
  19. Pawtato Augur

I don’t know man, just felt I like had an “old man rants at cloud” opening.
  20. Kolani Augur

With very few caveats, you can go almost anywhere - I'd say 90-95% of the expansion - with just ITU.
    Tucoh likes this.