DPG closing down?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Vaxpo, Jul 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Name2 Augur

I don't see how you can look at the current state of the game and not see a decline starting. That's some serious denial. Sure it won't be overnight, but it's certainly in process. I've been around this game in some capacity for nearly 20 years and what's happening right now is completely unprecedented. I'd get out too if I was a Daybreak employee.
  2. Accipiter Old Timer

Based on what? The undeniable popularity of the two latest servers?
    Skuz likes this.
  3. code-zero Augur

Everquest was going to close when DAoC released! Why do people appear to get such joy out of predicting the end anyway? There was a time around the release of GoD when the producer was actively attempting to get EQ shut down because he didn't like the game but it hung on anyway. It is probably more accurate to think that the other properties that were split off are liable to be sold off than for EQ to go away.
    Skuz likes this.
  4. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

My dad is over 80.

I have a friend who asks every year "How's your dad?" "OK." I say.
    I ask "How's your dad?" He says:
    "He's been alive every time you ask that! Based on that alone I expect he'll live forever."

I only call him once a year, because he's not too bright.
  5. Name2 Augur

You were quick to call out how covid could account for some of Daybreak's problems. I think Covid probably led more people to subscribe than normally would have. I wonder if other games saw similar uncharacteristic spikes in subscriptions due to the pandemic.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Haven't they been expecting an alpha release since sometime in 2018? Just seems that they are pushing date back all the time while they are still taking money from people to participate in the alpha test.
    KimchiGoddess and MasterMagnus like this.
  7. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Welcome to gaming 2020! Will you be buying the alpha-season-pass or the pre-alpha-season-pass ;)
  8. Febb Augur

You take things way too serious and are reading way too far into things. It's just a game that a struggling company is trying to run with little resources.
    Skuz likes this.
  9. Mashef Augur

There have been offers. If it comes down to closing shop or collecting a smaller payment than they anticipated- they will just liquidate in the end. It's just IP rights that would appeal. Anyone could get his remastered at minimal cost. Re-do everything from the ground up re-imagined and keep the concepts of the game play/AA/raid encounter fights the same, lore the same, improve quest logs/interface. Slap some marketing out there and profit. See FF7/8 - remastered old games are all the rage right now. Thats why WoW classic became a thing and WoW will probably do a TLP/BC style server announcement at some point just like they are going to work on D2 again after it died down for a while.
  10. Captain Video Augur

I have a standing offer to purchase all IP rights and game assets for EQ and EQ2 for $1. Who are the other bidders?
    wade_watts likes this.
  11. Password1234 Augur

[citation needed]
    Skuz likes this.
  12. Name2 Augur

Because the forums are full of evidence based arguments? Look at my post history, there's a link to a review by an employee discussing how staff openly mocked customers for how gullible they are to continue buying all of the microtransactions they were serving up. Granted, this is a review from the Austin office, not San Diego. I don't believe that that kind of culture is isolated to a single branch. The review I linked to was on indeed.
  13. Password1234 Augur

Post the link.
  14. Barder-mangler Augur

They sky is not falling. They just released their most popular server in years, and raked in boatloads of cash through micro transactions. Assuming they address and correct stability issues (or at least make it not absurdly bad during prime time as it is now), TLP servers will continue to be popular for at least another 5-10 years IMO, possibly longer.

There is just too much ongoing demand for EQ to go away. Regarding the ownership/IP rights, sure it may be sold at some point, but that person/group/company would be buying into the TLP/krono cycle too, as its the primary cash cow.
  15. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Echo chamber syndrome.

Common dysfunction of millennials.
  16. Mercanyin Augur

Push back dates on pre-alpha, alpha, beta happen most likely, every single game ever been in development. lol
  17. Pawtato Augur

Pantheon’s not going to come out man. You just have to accept it. The areas they used to showcase are all grey-boxed. It’s not a good sign for a small, crowd funded game.
  18. wade_watts Augur

For the record, I'm quite sure that Krono is accounted as revenue when it's purchased not redeemed. So all that Krono laying around is just a liability for them.

Better release more bags.
  19. svann Augur

Do you people have this on macro?
  20. wade_watts Augur

Naw dude. The company is healthy as a horse. All signs point to this being the start of the next generation of Everquest greatness! Don't listen to the naysayers!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.