FEATURE REQUEST: Overseer Android App

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Deux, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Would love to see an app to play the Overseer feature via Android (and Apple too). Seems like this could be done not sure if DB has a seperate server handling the Overseer quest computations or?

Anyway, to make this revenue positive for DB I would suggest a few ideas:
    -Only GOLD accounts can play Overseer offline to encourage ALL ACCESS memberships
    -Perhaps charge $2.00/month/account to access Overseer.

The app could be developed internally or a developer could do it for a cut of the monthly revenue.

If we look at a potential of 10,000 subscribers:
    -$2.00 per month x 10,000 = $20,000 monthly revenue x 12 = $240,000 annual revenue
    OR
    Increase the number of gold memberships by ??? as the Overseer feature is sort of addictive to the OCD EQ community

Idea is to get your Overseer quests in on days when you can't play the game.
    Aanuvane, random_pawn00 and Elyssanda like this.
  2. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Not sure how this would work, with accounts being able to have overseer on more than 1 server, how would it know which server I wanted my rewards on and if my chars are over level 85.

Also not sure I would like to have my EQ details on my phone.
    Marton likes this.
  3. Dibab Augur

just select the character you're doing the overseer on. WoW used to let you run the auction house from an app, that's all you did there. It displayed as Char name (server)
  4. Sobmre Augur

Idea Veto'ed

how ever bazaar from app is approved.

better yet a serverwide bazaar is even better
  5. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Developing Android and/or Apple apps requires Daybreak to spend money to hire experts in those applications. And the security risks of allowing apps to access character and account information are high.
    Funky and Yinla like this.
  6. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Think I shared some ideas about monetizing it to defray cost? As far as the security risks people are using Magelo sync to access much of their account information are they not? If DB had control over this I personally wouldn't have an issue.
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

That does not access user name and password. only text files.
  8. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

There are a number of things that Darkpaw could do to monetize EQ that would not adversely affect gameplay (like more merchandise for sale) but they don't seem to have the inclination to do so.

An app would actually take money up front to create and be a gamble as to if they would make a profit and not a loss. Since they won't even make merchandise to sell, which would cost almost nothing (as plenty of companies will do everything for you, just give them the images to put on mugs and shirts, etc.), I don't see much chance.

But I would like to be surprised.

As someone else already stated, there is a much larger risk in creating a phone app that can access your Daybreak account. It's fairly easy to slip apps past Google and Apple security that can do bad things. And that's not even considering the lost and stolen phones.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  9. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Oh, by the way, I'm not against this at all. I think it would be great. I just don't see Darkpaw ever doing it for the reasons I stated.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  10. random_pawn00 Journeyman

11. Windance Augur

My dad use to run numbers like this for the various things he was trying to sell. Turns out he over estimated the market 100x every single time. I suspect your numbers are equally over inflated.