AA Experience Disparity

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Nennius, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

This would be really easy to test if anyone wanted to go to Miragul (free heroic 85s) and make like 5 SKs and pull on 1 of them exclusively for an hour.
    minimind likes this.
  2. Thunderjaw New Member

Another test... SK running out and pulling and Shaman sitting in camp but marked with the puller role. Shaman earned 10% AA per kill, SK earned 30%. So it doesn't seem like the role strictly matters.
  3. minimind The Village Idiot

What defines a "puller" in these cases?
    • Tagged as puller in group
    • Puller class (bards and FDers?)
    • First character to aggro the NPC
    • First character to damage the NPC
  4. Thunderjaw New Member

It feels like first to aggro... I tested with my SHM, SK and BST all in the puller role.. i.e. marked with the role AND actually running out and bringing them back. All tagging with non damage spells (slows or terror lines). If they were bringing mobs back, they were getting 30% of an AA in FM at 113. If they were in camp fighting they got 10%.

For giggles I "tagged" the SHM with the actual role but let the SK actually bring mobs. SK continued to get 30%, SHM got 10%.
    Nennius and minimind like this.
  5. Nennius Curmudgeon

Many thanks for all of the replies. The frankly huge disparity in AA gain favoring the puller is puzzling to me. I can see a bonus of some sort, but the amount seems excessive. Anyway, in a few minutes I am going to run some tests of my own using the rogue as a puller and I will see what happens.

Thank you all.
  6. Cicelee Augur

My box bard breaks a camp, and usually I would pull on mage when everything is just a single pull. Knowing this, and since mage is max AA, I will be changing my routine...
  7. Tucoh Augur

What? Huh?! First to aggro gets 2x XP as the rest of the group?!

[IMG]

I get so much AA that I'm more burdened by spending it on nonsense AAs that barely help that I never looked into this, but I could have sworn there was something asymmetric about AA gains. This answers so much.

Going to be annoying to think about in the future where I'll want the newest and weakest character to aggro first instead of my oldest and toughest tank who gets all the AAs he needs about 5 seconds into each expansion.
    Barton likes this.
  8. Jalelorf Augur

Correct, this is why some people will volunteer to pull. They know the experience is better. Puller does take a little more risk in being killed on the run back to the group. It could be argued on that percentage.
  9. Nennius Curmudgeon

Using a rogue as a puller and the experience is better. But...it still isn't as much as the pally is getting as a puller. Other factors at work? I will keep testing.
    minimind likes this.
  10. Thunderjaw New Member

Huh, interesting... it was consistent for me on all three toons I checked. All were the same level (113). I'm guessing your rogue and pally are as well?
  11. Nightops Augur

Just saying the amount of AAs is pretty much worthless in the comparison. How many are auto-granted vs earned? An SK would certainly get many more auto-granted AA then the bard.

Also, is the aa catch up bonus xp based on earned AA starting at 0 and is the bonus xp the same per class at the same aa amount. In other words, if a class maxes at 50k and another maxes at 40k. Do both get the same amount of AA catch up bonus when they are at 10k AA?

In the old days, hybrids used to have an xp bonus; last I heard a few years ago it was still in game, but to a smaller amount.
  12. Nennius Curmudgeon

They are both 115. I wasn't running a parser and so a sample size of less than 100 kills is at best inadequate to judge well. In any case, having the rogue pull gets him more AA's per kill. He will now work his little butt off as a puller. :)

The remark above about a bonus for hybrids is interesting. I thought that went away, but I could well be mistaken.
  13. Riou EQResource

It's part of a bug where pullers bypass the EXP reduction in old zones that has never been fixed (some of the Devs have known about it for years atm so it has to be low priority), it should only be roughly 50% more then the others in group though, this system has been in since TDS to nerf RoF exp as you leveled

There is probably some kind of automated system based on zone level vs your own or expansion age, I'd be kinda surprised if they did it manually every year/level cap increase
    Sancus likes this.
  14. GoneFission Augur

Sancus measured that the first on aggro list gets something like 75% of the XP. He tested it in the EOK version of frontier mountains. I saw same thing in Chardok as well. He reported it on the old bug tracker board, but no one ever looked at the report.

I don’t know that it was put on the new bug page or not.
    Sancus likes this.
  15. Kloodge Elder

Smart people would stop talking about this here and use the knowledge for nefarious purposes.
  16. Nennius Curmudgeon

Or be even smarter and help others.
  17. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

For content appropriate people, it probably doesn't matter too much due to their low rate of gain overall.

For bot groups, it probably doesn't matter due to them having terrible rates of gain anyway and doing it afk.

For PLing groups, its a LOT of work to get the PLee to pull a bunch and get the PLer to take them off them every time without dying all the time. Easier to just pull with the person with 50-100k aa =P

Meh.
  18. Nennius Curmudgeon

More testing last night. The experience gains between the characters nearly evened out after 250 kills. The paladin still has a slight advantage for some reason. In any case, having the rogue pull did the trick to help him start catching up to where i want him to be.

Thank you again for the help and suggestions and I hope the thread might help others as well.
    Yinla likes this.
  19. Kloodge Elder

a) It was a joke.

b) Hybrids used to have an xp penalty, not a bonus.
    Celephane likes this.
  20. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Nennius and minimind like this.