Mythbusters TLP Rogue DPS Edition

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by WaitingforMoreEQ, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Healiez Augur

Yah a crystaline spear or if you are crazy an efreeti war spear with proper bandoleer macro is huge.
  2. Maze Elder

Combined: in 5621s, 2292k @407 | A thunder spirit 199k | Riek 99423 | Glowers 80592 | Karnuvian 75099 {X} | Bumpy 67580 {X} | Acslayter 67062 | Nirvana 63640 | Etuppin 60694 {XX} | Warhammer 58376 {XX} | Nono 56014 {XX} | Renshu 53983 | Whataburger 53612 {XXXX} | Lawdee 53312 {X} | Obzen + pets 52213 {X} | Cain 50913 {XX}

Womp Womp womppppppppp
  3. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

How many deaths rudy take?
    Mithra likes this.
  4. Reiker99 Lorekeeper

yeah duh obviously a fully geared rogue out-DPSes a Monk in Velious.

The Rogue complaints are about vanilla pre-Kunark EQ.
  5. Ronluwen Elder

You guys have no necros in your guild? Classic dps hierarchy imo is:
    #1 Necro by a decent amount
    #2 Enchanter
    #3 Monk
    #4 Mage
    #5 Wizard
    #6 Ranger
    #7 Rogue

This is based on overall raiding performance for each class. Wizards tear up the dragons but get smashed in hate/fear. Melee and chanter smash sky, but pet classes still contribute where as wizards eat DT's. Chanter pets are overall good in every zone, but especially since the 20% nerf I don't find them to be an automatic top dps. Chanters should be getting smashed by necro's in hate/fear.

Rogues are definitely bad in Classic. I don't think I've seen a rogue beat top monks once. Although we only have a few and I have no idea about their min/maxing.
    Rebelicious likes this.
  6. Coppercoz Augur

Pffttt...Everyone knows rogues were so good that SOE had to release another chain wearing melee class in GoD. And, that class is not so dependent on mob positioning, has group melee abilities, and snare. All for the price of not getting to walk through zones SoS, which all other classses have to do anyway (watch for traps though).

Rogue is a raid class that can mindlessly do very good dps without fear of grabbing boss aggro and they stack well in a raid. Group wise, they are constant dps as long as tank maintains aggro. I always felt rogues should tank as least as well as monks especially since dps is severely reduced when that happens. The class is melee-centric, so it made sense to me. They are terrible in any trio or lower unless you are fighting light blue to low blue mobs to begin with.

Rogues do improve through progression at least, but the only place they really excelled was on the quarm server (poisons).
    NinjutsuMMO and Rebelicious like this.
  7. OliverQ Elder

All the other rogues must have been really slacking for Glowers to be #2 and nobody else shows up.
  8. Rebelicious Augur

The only question that needs to be asked... how many boxers make a "rogue" class for added DPS/utility? The answer is a resounding ZERO!~ Because ANYTHING a rogue can do... several other classes do it better,,, and they have no utility, no tank ability and only situational DPS (backstab). So a rogue can pull... big whoop. A monk, necro, Sk, and bard can pull too... and safer. So rogue DPS gets better... for a few later expacs... until the better DPS berserker class comes out... and people have the audacity to post crap about "busting myths." Well if rogues are really such a "great and indispensable class" why aren't people BOXING any? The answer is... they're not... and unlike a cleric or warrior... they aren't "indispensable" to raids either. Everyone knows rogues need a fix... why would anyone in their right mind try to argue that they don't?
    NinjutsuMMO likes this.
  9. OliverQ Elder

I think the main reason people don't box rogues is the positional requirement makes it hard to effectively dps with them as a box.
    Gio1999 likes this.
  10. HoodenShuklak Augur

It's definitely a reason, but the point she was making is still solid... if you want pick lock you box a bard, and if you want DPS you box a wiz/mag/monk depending on utility. Rogues offer corpse recovery services....
    NinjutsuMMO likes this.
  11. NinjutsuMMO Augur

Dps classes unload On mobs before a rogue can even get into position to backstab.
    they have poor utility....

They suck

But now at least enchanters only do 3-4 times the Dps of a rogue on tlps instead of 6-8 times...

Lock pick ? Lame
    Pickpocket ? Lame
    Drag corpse ? Lame
    Disarm trap ? Lame
    Backstab ? Kind of useful when on a long fight you get position So you can parse low
  12. Kodachi Augur

People don't box rogues cause they are super gear dependant and you can just box a monk and only need a couple items to do similar dps. Why spend the time and effort if you don't have to.
    NinjutsuMMO likes this.
  13. Arclyte Augur

There is no reason to metagame a 21 year old MMO, especially in classic. No one is impressed by your monks auto attack DPS meter. Nothing in classic is close to being difficult.

Play a rogue if you like the idea of playing a rogue. Their damage is low early on, but becomes competitive once you get a good piercer off of Yael / Vox. Also, their epic dagger is one of the easiest to get in kunark and is a huge dps boost.
    Magneress and Gio1999 like this.
  14. Gio1999 Augur

The funniest thing is that the meta gaming / min max munchkins that go on about rogues sucking aren't true power gamers, but the middling folks who need every advantage they can get.

I've been in amazing guilds and poopy guilds on TLPs - the amazing guilds were always courting rogues. The poopy guilds had the people railing about rogue DPS. You could argue that the amazing guilds were just looking for a people to give rogue loot to, but I doubt that's the case.
    Maneuvre likes this.
  15. Maneuvre Augur

I like where you are going with this. But this shouldn't even be a question. IMHO, the Rogue is a Main character class ONLY. NEVER to be boxed. Should NOT be alt'd. Rogue boxes, in the current state of the game, cannot function efficiently and therefore are pointless. Rogue Alts on the otherhand? Everyone's favorite sellout. If you took the easy road as a caster to then twink out your "baby rogue"? It speaks volumes. Probably the same player standing in one spot the whole time. Can't break that caster habit can you? Don't worry, I see you though. As for boxing other classes? They each have their own specific handicaps, and therefore can be boxed to compliment the Rogue's efforts.

Now if one is truly a hardcore player, then they would have mained a Rogue at least once during any Classic server. Much respect. People that continuously main a Rogue? Probably the some of the most weathered, attentive, and passionate EQ players you will find. People that don't add Rogues to PUGs because of some nonsense about garbage dps and/or limit their guild to only 1 Rogue should probably not be leading anything. Protip: If you are a Warrior during classic, you already know during PUGs a SHD and PAL will outshine you. Therefore if you want to impress your group, you should be adding that Rogue you see in /lfg. Why? Because a Rogue bouncing that aggro back to you via evade makes it look like ALL that warrior twink gear you bought actually works. Oh, you thought you were just that good huh?

Is the class broken? No. Does Rogue need some added utility now that the game has evolved? Yes. Is it a weak DPS class? Ask any of the Monks I've out parsed during raid. :oops:

Bottom line: Devs, please add more utility to the class. I'd like to see Track and Feign Death for Rogues, it roleplays well too.