3 friends 6 toons

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Gladdius, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Gladdius Journeyman

Ok, so as the title states 3 of us are going to build our own group. We'd be boxing one each. So far we have the following;

A necro with a boxed bard
    A monk with a boxed shaman

I main a ranger, but want to add a tank and utility to the group.

Which tank is best here? Leaning pally or warrior but could be persuaded to go SK. Whichever i decide will be interchangeable with ther ranger.

And as for ther utility I'm torn between mage, enchanter, or druid.

Any insights are appreciated.

Thank you
    Dexxeaa00 likes this.
  2. Arog Augur

Good luck logging all your accounts on this weekend.
    Pumpernickel and Dexxeaa00 like this.
  3. Kahna Augur

If this is just a fun, messing around group I would go with Pally and the mage or druid. Pally because it will give you a tank and a resser. Res is more important for getting a dead person back to the group quickly than it is for exp, so a pally manages that just fine. Then druid or mage because they are easy to box and you will already have your hands full tanking. The necro/bard team should be able to handle CC and mana regen duties a chanter box would normally fill.

Mage if you want more DPS, druid if you think ports would benefit your group. Either one would also be nice to duo with with a pally, though with pally heals and lack of DPS the mage might be a better duo partner. It's really just personal preference at that point.
  4. Mrjon3s Augur

I would go warrior cleric. If you guys want to do harder content.
  5. Gladdius Journeyman

How is warrior cleric as a duo vs pally mage/druid?
  6. Reiker99 Lorekeeper

If you want min/max answers, SK is the best group tank and Enchanter is the best utility. Enchanter is especially good in this group since you have all three methods in the game to debuff MR available to you.

If you don't want to minmax with SK/Enchanter, then just pick whatever you feel like playing.
  7. Dexxeaa00 Elder

I'm going to vote paladin. You will so have res and extra heals .
  8. Remedial New Member

+1 Paladin and Enchanter. The extra heals, security, and clarity will help keep the load off the shaman healer.
    Dexxeaa likes this.
  9. Kiaro Augur

Paladin and Enchanter
    Paladin brings - Best group tank, extra heals, res, stuns, root, HP/AC buffs.
    Enchanter brings - Clarity, Reliable Mez, Tash, Clarity, and charm (if you want to)
    Dexxeaa likes this.
  10. Nolrog Augur

So two changing out the ranger.

I would go pally over Warrior, or SK. Pally gives you group heals and more importantly rez. Your group has no rez right now. That makes it a pain to get back to the group if you get killed (bound in Freeport, grouping in Unrest?) Pally gets 0% rez at like 22, so you can at least get them back. SK is good too, they can snare and add extra damage with dots and taps.

Mage or chanter both would be good for your utility I think.
    Dexxeaa likes this.
  11. Tucoh Augur

+1 for enc/pal
    Dexxeaa likes this.
  12. Ersatz New Member

This is just my opinion.

It is hard to effectively box a second character for a lot of people. I would consider each running a box that is easy so the focus can remain on your primary character.

Enchanter, Monk, and Tank (Opinions vary on tank, mine is SK) are good primary characters that require your attention to play well.

Cleric, Shaman, and Mage/Wiz would round out this group nicely. They can be set up with macros for easy control to heal, dot, root, pet attach, and DD. Mage pet also makes a nice back up tank. Cleric and Shaman buffs make the game easier.

Ease of play is an important consideration that contributes to an overall enjoyable EQ experience.
  13. nagash101 Augur

Paladin and a Druid. Druid will give you back up heals and ports, utility. A Paladin can lull pull, buff, heal and stun. Rangers suck.
    Dexxeaa likes this.
  14. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

For reference the correct thing to add is a Cleric
  15. DingleB New Member

Either SK / DRU or PAL / DRU would be most optimal.

Paladin maybe a little more defensive than the SK, plus, I think generally they're underplayed compared to SKs, so if you raid as a group, better upgrades there. More competition for SK specific stuff.
  16. RilerDevour New Member

If you don't go Warrior/Cleric, that 6 man group won't be handling anything hard enough to matter what you pick. So in that case, just go with whatever you think would be fun. All these folks adding in a laundry list of things that each class can do are ignoring the most simple fact in EQ: without a Warrior tank and a Cleric healer, you won't be taking on the toughest content possible.

You could also pick a duo that can play when your friends can't. As is the case with most plans like this, they rarely stick together for long. That's why one of your buddies went Monk/Shaman...a very powerful duo.

Paladin/Druid is a pretty solid duo that would fit decently in that group. Enchanter is obviously god mode even after the nerf if you want to hassle with charm.
  17. Megazen Elder

SK/Cleric or Pali/Druid. Chanter is redundant in that group with both a bard and shaman, there is a lot of skill overlap, which you pay for in class budget. I'd personally go pally/druid, even though it's not as min/max as SK/Cleric. I hate not having ports and evacs on box teams. Other option would be to go Pali/Wiz.

TLDR: You need rez and tanking in that group pretty badly.
  18. Kiaro Augur

To expand a bit, your original thought of going ranger is a fine one.
    Rangers can literally tank any group content in Classic into Velious, they have the highest aggro generation of any of the melee (Flame lick spam is ungodly aggro and almost 0 mana). They do have taunt. IF however you add a ranger, you're going to want a cleric because while you have the capability of tanking, you need the extra raw HP from the clr buffs, and you need a res.

Going into Luclin and upward, you're going to be hard pressed to keep the ranger geared enough to continue to tank with just shaman heals, or even cleric heals, and Gates of Discord is just flat out with ranger tanking, Kod'Taz trash chews up time geared SK/Pal/War....

But yeah, again - I suggest a Paladin and Enchanter, you already have all your bases covered. And a paladin with clarity and bard song is going to be able to solo heal themselves while tanking.
  19. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Yeah not only that but a Ranger with raid gear will take less damage then a Warrior with Group gear so adding a "tank" is just pointless if he wants to main the Ranger.
  20. auto21 Elder

Cleric, Enc, Enc, Enc, Druid, Monk
    is you're overall most effective grp

You can basically do anything the fastest...